Why become a member? ×

Strap locks good ones

slystewart

I use [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dunlop-Straplok-Strap-locks-Original-Nickel-New_W0QQitemZ220218779153QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20831QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262"]Dunlops[/url] in preference to [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Schaller-strap-lock-set-Nickel-New_W0QQitemZ230238460050QQihZ013QQcategoryZ20831QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262"]Schallers[/url], 'cos I find the nuts (fnarr) on the Schallers come undone and I worry about the strap coming off. The bloke who runs the e-shop is a nice chap too.

Good luck, John.

Edited by johnnylager

Yeah same as the above post. Dunlops all the way, i've never used schallers but i had a look at my mate's once and they didn't look that safe to me.

Try [url="http://www.axesrus.com/"]http://www.axesrus.com/[/url], that's where i got mine from, not much more than a tenner if at all, they're £8.90 on there with free shipping. When i bought mine the day i got them one broke so i complained and they said don't even bother sending the broken unit in and sent me out a replacement right away. Great service. Other than that though they're pretty solid.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='170983' date='Apr 6 2008, 09:21 PM']Yeah same as the above post. Dunlops all the way, i've never used schallers but i had a look at my mate's once and they didn't look that safe to me.

Try [url="http://www.axesrus.com/"]http://www.axesrus.com/[/url], that's where i got mine from, not much more than a tenner if at all, they're £8.90 on there with free shipping. When i bought mine the day i got them one broke so i complained and they said don't even bother sending the broken unit in and sent me out a replacement right away. Great service. Other than that though they're pretty solid.[/quote]

I suppose it depends upon how dilligent you are. My preference is for Schallers but I check that the nut is tight before every gig or practice session. They're a far better design than the dunlops in just about every respect. Yes the nuts may loosen over time but so long as you're not the sort of bassist who's too lazy to check your gear, then schaller every time, no question.

I've got experience of the dunlops with Warwicks (two of them, one of which I still own) and Schalers with every other bass I have (seven of them) and I chose to put the schallers on all them.

Dunlops are good but if they fail you're screwed, seriously screwed. With the schaller design if the lock fails then at least the strap button is sitting in a support cup and won't allow your bass to simply plummet to the deck.

[quote name='Scoop' post='171106' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:14 AM']I suppose it depends upon how dilligent you are. My preference is for Schallers but I check that the nut is tight before every gig or practice session. They're a far better design than the dunlops in just about every respect. Yes the nuts may loosen over time but so long as you're not the sort of bassist who's too lazy to check your gear, then schaller every time, no question.

I've got experience of the dunlops with Warwicks (two of them, one of which I still own) and Schalers with every other bass I have (seven of them) and I chose to put the schallers on all them.

Dunlops are good but if they fail you're screwed, seriously screwed. With the schaller design if the lock fails then at least the strap button is sitting in a support cup and won't allow your bass to simply plummet to the deck.[/quote]
Mmmm.... so the Schaller is a better design? But you still have to check it every gig, in case the screw is loose!! As mentioned many times here on BC, the major Schaller fault seems to be the screw loosening which can drop your bass on the floor.
My experience is that in 20 years I have never checked the Dunlop strap locks on my 3 basses, as they don't fail.

[quote name='Scoop' post='171106' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:14 AM']Dunlops are good but if they fail you're screwed, seriously screwed. With the schaller design if the lock fails then at least the strap button is sitting in a support cup and won't allow your bass to simply plummet to the deck.[/quote]
Absolutely true. Unless the cup has turned upside down due to the nut coming loose. :huh: I might just go back to Grolsch tops & gaffa... :)

Boston straplocks have the same design as the schallers but have two lock nuts which solves the problems with the nut coming loose, Ebay is your best bet.

[quote name='chris_b' post='171115' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:08 AM']Mmmm.... so the Schaller is a better design? But you still have to check it every gig, in case the screw is loose!! As mentioned many times here on BC, the major Schaller fault seems to be the screw loosening which can drop your bass on the floor.
My experience is that in 20 years I have never checked the Dunlop strap locks on my 3 basses, as they don't fail.[/quote]

I am a massive fan of Schaller locks and they have never failed me. Admittedly i have had to tighten them on my Thunderbird, but only the once, and this is after over a year of fitting them.

Try one of these washers underneath the nut:

[url="http://www.nord-lock.com/"]http://www.nord-lock.com/[/url]

Back when I worked for a fastener company a guy came in to demo these versus standard washers, nylock nuts, double nuts and other things. The assembly was subjected to vibration from a mechanism powered by an electric motor. Everything except the nordlock came loose. No amount of normal vibration will loosen them and to undo them, a significant turning force is required to get the teeth of the washer up past one another.

Sorted :huh:

EDIT: err, if there's enough room for one, that is :)

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='slystewart' post='170638' date='Apr 6 2008, 12:04 PM']Was looking on e bay at bass guitar strap locks most for less than £10 is there any that could be recomended for heavy weight pre EB ray thanks Stewart[/quote]

I'm certain that I have a couple of unopened sets (I was going to fit the same system to all of my basses but never got around to it :) ) in black or gold. Not sure what make they are, I'll check but you can have them for less than a tenner (inc postage). If you've bought a set don't sweat.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='171152' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:04 AM'][url="http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/CHROME_ULTRA-SAFE_STRAPLOCKS_Guitar_Strap_Locks_System-pr-5281-c-0-p-1.html"]These[/url] little fells look safe as...[/quote]

Haha, the shop's called Dangleberry [i]and[/i] there's 69 in stock.

Lol.

[/immature]

really noob-ish question but i've never used straplocks so... do you have to change the strap buttons when you put on any kind of strap lock? cuz from what i've seen some come with strap buttons and some don't.

also my brother bought some years ago (schaller i think) for an ibanez electric which you'd think would be pretty standard but the screws were too small compared to what was already there meaning he'd have to fill the hole and re-drill it... so he just didn't bother!

[quote name='Muppet' post='171138' date='Apr 7 2008, 08:24 AM']I'm with Steve - Boston straplocks. Exactly the same as the Schallers (and are compatible too) but with two nuts that lock against each other. A dab of threadlock helps too is you're paranoid.[/quote]

I use schallers with a touch of loktite and have never had a problem. I did buy a set of Boston ones from someone off here a while back and I will vouch that they are totally compatible. I also really like the extra locking nut on them as a peace of mind thing but like I said my Schallers have never failed on me [b]yet[/b]

[quote name='Dodge' post='174373' date='Apr 11 2008, 10:00 AM']+1 on the Schallers / Bostons.

I've had several incidents of the Dunlop recessed popping out - never used the Warwick equivalent (which aren't compatible with the Dunlops btw.)[/quote]

Public apology time...Thanks for sending the locks, i ordered a set and they arrived the same day as yours, but i kept the love and they went with the fortress as an extra set.

never felt the need for straplocks

itd take some serious effort as far as i can see for the strap to come off, maybe its just my straps bein tight i dunno, but i bought a dunlop set once to see what the fuss was about, and i hated them, if anything felt alot less safe to me for some reason, dont like that button seems very easily repressed, so i took them off and sold them

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='steve-norris' post='174934' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:25 AM']Public apology time...Thanks for sending the locks, i ordered a set and they arrived the same day as yours, but i kept the love and they went with the fortress as an extra set.[/quote]

Hahah! No worries - didn't keep it long, and I saw the Dolphin was off too - have you had enough of the Warwick thing too eh?