Why become a member? ×

The Lana Del Rey controversy

Marvin

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1328039930' post='1520813']
I saw Sandi Thom at the Rhythm Festival last year and was full of cynicism, but was actually pleasantly surprised. Did some really good Bluesey stuff, which apparently is were she's at at the moment (Well 6 months ago).
[/quote]

If she's doing good stuff now, that would be why she isn't getting mainstream coverage anymore, at a guess.
Though if it's with Joe Bonnafretw***er I'll give it a miss, he annoys me, and is not to my taste. :)

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1328041941' post='1520870']
Interesting thread and I wonder how long it will be before the Vintage Trouble backlash starts, when people realise the band they 'discovered' playing at their local venue and they've told all their mates about, are actually not a gang of 40 somethings who are 'keeping it real' and doing it the hard way by gigging relentlessly, but are in fact signed to Doc McGhee's management company, and the 'underground band' thing is just a very clever marketing ploy aimed squarely at the middle aged, middle income, middle class rock fans who hate what the music biz has become - ie: Simon Cowell's toy, and relish the chance to get behind a 'real band' (man).

Doc McGhee you will know as the ex manager of Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Kiss............. and guess who VT are opening for this summer? Yep.........Bon Jovi.
[/quote]

My own personal Vintage Trouble backlash started when I went to see them live and realised they had no more than 3 decent songs and the rest were a beigeness of Middle America.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1328038162' post='1520777']
I wouldn't say she sounds like Nancy Sinatra, more like a female Chris Isaac.

[/quote]

This. First time I heard her (on Jools) I immediately thought "David Lynch soundtrack". Don't know about the rest of her stuff but I really like Video Games.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1328048439' post='1521067']
Well I suppose this is the kind of discussion musos have about other musos,with a few curled lips and disapproving comments,but it`s all irrelevant if you like the tunes.
That`s all there is at the end of the day.
The rest is all chaff.
[/quote]

And a big + 1000 to this.

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1328048924' post='1521089']
I heard she'd collaborated with Joe Bonnamosa (probably spelt that wrong) and this what heralded the "going back to the roots" phase. She's still bloody awful. And has crazy eyes.

Just keeping the cynicism alive for you. :)
[/quote]

You're not confusing her with Beth Hart are you?

Beth Hart did an album with Joe Bonamassa last year (I think) that's was very blues/country roots. I just wondered if that might be what you were thinking of but I know nothing of Del Ray (apart from one slightly tedious song on Jools Holland) so maybe she's been Bonamassering as well ;)

I honestly liked Video Games the first time I heard it; still do.

I was slightly disappointed to hear about her 'discovery' being funded and orchestrated by daddy's marketing department... but heh, you'd have to pretty naive to believe that the music industry is really about guys in garage bands getting lucky breaks on the back of blood, sweat and tears ;)

Good luck to her I say. She's more interesting that the vast swathes of dross that normally fills the charts.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1328115354' post='1522089']
I honestly liked Video Games the first time I heard it; still do.

but heh, you'd have to pretty naive to believe that the music industry is really about guys in garage bands getting lucky breaks on the back of blood, sweat and tears
[/quote]

I'm with you on these points. I like Video Games too but I'm not so keen on Born to Die.

Sad to say that the music industry just doesn't seem to work in that way anymore so we shouldn't expect artists to be able to appear "naturally".

Edited by rOB

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1328115354' post='1522089']
Good luck to her I say. She's more interesting that the vast swathes of dross that normally fills the charts.
[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree with this, but at the same time I can't help feeling that our increasing acceptance to settle on mediocrity is partially fueling its unstoppable rise to the forefront of popular music. The UK music industry as it stands today is in a diabolical state. There are painfully few home grown domestic talents and those that do have interesting things to show for their talents don't get any breathing space or choose to go underground.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1328125728' post='1522329']
There are painfully few home grown domestic talents and those that do have interesting things to show for their talents don't get any breathing space or choose to go underground.
[/quote]

I was just thinking this the other day. Maybe in a few years we'll have a more distinct two tier music system. Mainstream, bankable music making money for the labels and less mainstream, underground music made by people who either don't want to or can't access the marketing budgets.

Yeah, all these rubbish acts I've never heard of such as Enter Shakiri, The Black Keys, Skrillex, The Macabees, Jo Hamilton, Kings Of Leon & so on.
It's never changed You get a load of rubbish (Go & type in ANY year you want & look at the top 20) mixed with a good smattering of good bands/singers.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1328125728' post='1522329']
...I can't help feeling that our increasing acceptance to settle on mediocrity is partially fueling its unstoppable rise to the forefront of popular music. The UK music industry as it stands today is in a diabolical state.
[/quote]

^ Very true. But then the pop chart has always been in a fairly diabolical state; and the best music always tends to lie just beneath the surface of things, outside of the mainstream.

There are plenty of superb 'underground' acts in the UK, and nearly all of them would need to compromise on their originality if they wanted to sell large volumes of music to a mass audience. I guess the role of pop music is to provide something for the underground to rile against! But anyway, I'm rambling... ;)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1328130241' post='1522477']
I was just thinking this the other day. Maybe in a few years we'll have a more distinct two tier music system. Mainstream, bankable music making money for the labels and less mainstream, underground music made by people who either don't want to or can't access the marketing budgets.
[/quote]

You often find what appears to be underground or independent music is actually still part of the bigger picture though, and there are very few truly independent labels in existence nowadays because they've either been acquired by the big name labels or have simply gone bust. The idea of a tier system exists currently because of the big 3 record labels are able to designate certain artists subsidiary labels that on the surface appear to be 'indie' but are in fact still kicking up their cash to Universal, Sony or Warner. Indie labels like Domino or Rough Trade just can't compete against such financial giants and it is all too common to see artists to sign deals that are more financially viable, i.e. The Arctic Monkeys for example.

Those who don't adhere to the system on some level are unfortunately doomed to fail.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1328135326' post='1522618']
it's all over when Angelina Jolie finds out who stole her lips and takes them back. To be fair, Lana's hardly moving them when she 'sings', so there'll be very little wear and tear...
[/quote]

Actually, I kind of like her, but this is totally hilarious. :D

My only complaint about the girl is that she came across as a real shithead on Radio 4 (the staple radio station in the Shuker workshop) whilst working with Jon last week - she made a great play about being a singer on the "underground scene" prior to her success, when asked about how she'd made her breakthrough; and then spent the rest of the interview being alternately patronising and vacuous.

Which was a shame, as I quite liked the tracks they played. Very Nancy, I'm sure. But the interview was swill.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1328024828' post='1520468']
She's all over the media. Initially loved by the music press but now derided (especially if you read the review of her album in Rolling Stone magazine).

At first music journo's seemed to fall for Del Rey because she appeared to come from no where. However, now a little more is known of her she has almost become a hate figure. Much seems to focus on people's believe they have in some way been duped....[/quote]
You know what music journo's are like; they hate musicians getting more credit than they get themselves. Journos know more about music that musicians, you see.

And just to be pedantic: she was derided [i]first - [/i]about eighteen months ago[i]. Then [/i]she was loved. But now she's having some (deserved, IMHO) success the journos can't handle it.... so it's derision time again.

The album's very good.

Edited by mckendrick

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1328130241' post='1522477']
[/quote]

Like the eighties then? :)