Why become a member? ×

Fender Lottery

Musicman20

Hi all

Received a new Fender American Standard P bass as had some credit with the store.

Just caught the cash-back offer so it was cheaper than the 'normal prices' (which have hit an all time high...silly high prices compared to 2 years ago).

The bass was brand new...sealed from Fender. No one had touched it.

I have another P bass upstairs. It was £200 cheaper than this one. Beautiful bass...at the same time my 2011 USA Jazz is also excellent.

This new P bass ain't so great. Looks and feels a bit bodged. Fit and finish aren't as good as my other two...by far. Fender have also changed the stock strings and they also ain't so great.

How long do I play the lottery for and when do I give up?! Shall I try another? Should I give up and get a Bongo? :P

Store is being patient, I may add. No problems there. :)

P bass being picked up tomorrow...now I need to decide what to do.

Edited by Musicman20

Music shops must shudder when they pick the phone up and your on the end saying "I want to buy a bass" ;)

That's really bad luck AGAIN! I think it drives home the point try before you buy. If i was buying a bass at these sort of prices i'd do my damnedest to drive/hop on a train to the shop and check it out before I parted with anything.

What's the price of a train ticket compared to this hassle?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327615764' post='1514414']
5 hours there, 5 hours back...day off work, cost of fuel, cost of staying over, currently have no car as saving for a much better one thus using the joys of the bus/train.
[/quote]

If that's what it takes...

Specifically what don't you like about this one?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1327616128' post='1514425']
If that's what it takes...

Specifically what don't you like about this one?
[/quote]

Didn't want to go into detail and cause a huge thread...Ill PM you just so you know.

I won't go into details about travelling to try one, because it makes little sense unless you are in the rather unfortunate position I am in with cars/transport.

The Jazz I searched for actually turned up to be stunning out of the box. Not one problem. It can happen!

Edited by Musicman20

I'm afraid it would take a lot for me to go back to a standard USA Fender and even then I would never buy one new. I have not played a single USA Fender bass that I thought was worth £600 let alone what they charge. Nasty looking neck, funny finish, bad neck joints, sloppy pickup recesses and bad fret jobs.

In comparison I have played a lot of Squier classic vibes and they have all been perfect! Don't waste your money on new Fenders IMHO, get a squier or a Mexican classic Precision. They are not all perfect but 4 out of 5 have been incredible to play and well finished.

Good luck with your decision hope you find something you like.

Buy a bongo but please for the love of all things bassey try it out first !

Bongo was one of my all time favourite basses, for me I just could never dig the shape I tried but it just diddnt happen.
As I said before my main bass is a Dingwall so it's not that I am "stuck in 1952" I do I like different shaped basses.

Bongos are tone monsters you got to try one !

I thought this kind of thing wasn't a secret?

If you want consistent quality, try a different manufacturer, everybody knows that. It's funny when you see ads for Fender from the 80's on, no matter what year there's often a line about "this is the year they got their quality in order" :lol:

Forget about the badge and buy a good bass instead.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327656475' post='1514735']
All good ideas, thanks.
[/quote]

You still need that CVP Gareth. maybe now is the right time. You have a fantastic MIA P so you still need that beater bass. Save some cash and heartache and go Squier. You know what they say, "Once you go Sqiuer, you question why higher" LOL.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327653741' post='1514686']
Order another fender and send another bc'er in your place (who's either going anyway or lives next door) to check it over for you? :)
[/quote]

^ This! I was just reading to the end of the page to leave you with this reply but Charic beat me to it!

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1327653401' post='1514678']

If you want consistent quality, try a different manufacturer.
Forget about the badge and buy a good bass instead.
[/quote]

Yes and yes.
G &L? Sandberg? Lakland? Dingwall? Spector? Not heard many Qc related gripes about any of these.Then there's the likes of Status, Vigier, Modulus, Alembic, Sadowsky and so on.
Btw, has anyone ever had a naff Yamaha?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1327683115' post='1515391']
Yes and yes.
G &L? Sandberg? Lakland? Dingwall? Spector? Not heard many Qc related gripes about any of these.Then there's the likes of Status, Vigier, Modulus, Alembic, Sadowsky and so on.
[b]Btw, has anyone ever had a naff Yamaha?[/b]
[/quote]

Never heard of such thing!!! What an outrage!!!

Not true, some RBX's were known to have battery drainage problems, i could never tell if that was true or if it was a poor use by the owners though. My TRB-5PII has a slight problem, the individual string saddles were routed a bit off-centerd from the bass's and neck's alignment, just about a mm but it can be seen if you compare the laminated on the neck trough with the saddles. It plays like a dream and intonates perfectly but if i was buying it new i would have sent it back!

Cheers

I tried 6 or 7 before I bought my Precision nearly 4 years ago. All the same spec. One was nicer than all the others and one was nastier than all the others. The in between ones were fine. I'd never buy a Fender untested.
It's a real shame the nicest one was sunburst. The hated colour is finally growing on me now though. I must be getting old.

If this was me I'd double check with the store that the credit you have will still be good in 6 months, a year, whatever (no reason it shouldn't be) and then just leave well enough alone for a while. Get your car sorted, make a weekend out of it and take a trip down whenever it suits. Until then just play the gorgeous basses you have.

I'm not being sarky here - been in exactly the same position of being more than frustrated on repeated occasions. Most recently a bass I have was seriously in line to becoming firewood because an earthing problem would just not go away. It literally took me packing the bass away out of sight before I could think about something else.