Why become a member? ×

Fender 5 string myth

Sub_Drop

How come, Fender 5 strings are so hard to come by. I've never actually seen one anywhere around my area. It is just a myth that the internet allows me to constantly look at. Does anyone know why they are so rare or is it just that my area seems to fail in stocking them in music shops?

I'd guess that the Fender 5 string market is very small compared to their well established 4 string market.
I must admit that 'Fender' automatically equates to '4 string' whenever I hear it.

Music stores will only stock things that they know they have a good chance of selling within a reasonable timescale - anything other than that is a slippery path to commercial suicide.

[quote name='Ukelele Salad' timestamp='1327429169' post='1511129']
It's nice, don't know why people are so down on Fender 5's.
[/quote]

I don't think people are 'down' on them, I think it's more a case of being not quite so 'up' on them as they are other brands.
As to 'why' we don't see more of them in use, that's probably something that Fender marketing people have considered long and hard.

I think part of it is because the Fender name has become synomynous with the four string variety and people hold those traditional values close to their hearts.
Breaking away from that preconception of what a bass 'should' look like could lose them some of their market share if they pushed it too hard and fast.

I think its partly because most people who want a fender do so because there favourite player from some classic 60s or 70s band used a fender and it was a four string not a five string. I think when most people think 5 string they think "modern".

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]These days Fender is not the name you think of first when you think of 5 string basses. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Fender didn't fight very hard for its share of the 5 string market, which kicked off around 30 years ago, so they let other manufacturers dominate. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'd look at Lakland before Fender, they're way ahead when it comes to good quality 5 string basses. [/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Ukelele Salad' timestamp='1327429169' post='1511129']
I have one. It is blue and was apparently played by the guy who was in Caravan Richard Coughlan (he of the mighty tash!) It's nice, don't know why people are so down on Fender 5's.
[/quote]
Richard played drums in Caravan.....?????

Personally, I just don't like what being a 5 does visually to the proportions of a Precision. The Jazz doesn't seem to look quite as bloated for the extra string, but as I don't much like the Jazz body shape that's a non-starter irrespective. What I find least aesthetically appealing all round is the 4+1 headstock layout. All of which adds up to mean that my one and only non-Fender is my 5 - a LTD Surveyor, which I think looks well proportioned and is 5-in-line up top.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1327447138' post='1511556']
Personally, I just don't like what being a 5 does visually to the proportions of a Precision. The Jazz doesn't seem to look quite as bloated for the extra string, but as I don't much like the Jazz body shape that's a non-starter irrespective. What I find least aesthetically appealing all round is the 4+1 headstock layout. All of which adds up to mean that my one and only non-Fender is my 5 - a LTD Surveyor, which I think looks well proportioned and is 5-in-line up top.
[/quote]

Funny you should say that.
I was just looking at them again a minute ago and they do seem to have a look about them that smacks of 'afterthought' compared to other manufacturers that use either 5+0 or 3+2 layouts.

Then again, we got used to 3+1 on the MusicMan range so perhaps it's just a matter of time before 4+1 looks 'right'.

The MIM Fender Jazz 5's have 5-in-a-line tuners; well, at least mine does.
I really like mine, I tend not to use the B much these days though which is probably just as well because it's not particularly good! It sounds good when you need some impact but it's definitely not good enough for Korn-esque riffing.
I'm happy to agree that Sadowskys and Laklands etc etc deliver much more than Fender ever could when it comes to 5ers and I think they know that. There's a big enough market for people who want to buy the standard 4-stringers innit.

Truckstop

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1327441681' post='1511397']
Richard played drums in Caravan.....?????
[/quote]
He did??? Damn you cheeky Ramsgate Music Vendor! You've sold me a bass played by a drummer. No wonder the neck is so splintery and covered in dribble...
No, you're right, i meant the other Richard whose name escapes me - his cousin was in the same band... no, it's not gonna come to me. O'Brien? The Lionheart?
[quote name='Tdw' timestamp='1327432983' post='1511188']
I think its partly because most people who want a fender do so because there favourite player from some classic 60s or 70s band used a fender and it was a four string not a five string. I think when most people think 5 string they think "modern".
[/quote]
I agree.

My Fender has 5 pegs on the top. Had to replace one once, them Fender pegs is expensive! And the only thing holding them in place was the tightness of the screw and two little plastic prongs! Had to put a cheapo one on, better than the original.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1327449641' post='1511617']
The MIM Fender Jazz 5's have 5-in-a-line tuners; well, at least mine does.
[/quote]

I believe it's a case of 'used to', unfortunately. I tried to get hold of one like that towards the end of my "it's not a bass unless it has 5 strings" phase, but they just weren't there to be had by that point, replaced by the current 4+1 model.

Yeah it probably is down to my area and just the popularity of the 4 string fender.
I already have a reliable 5 string sandberg though.
I do want to purchase a fender sometime in the future but I think like most people I'd go with a 4 string.
I was just curious about never seeing a 5 string in person by fender.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1327517847' post='1512817']
Richard Sinclair, I think.

[/quote]

You are correct.

If the music shops in Kent are to be believed, Richard Sinclair has owned more basses than Beedster! Every single second-hand bass in the county has passed through his hands.