Why become a member? ×

AC/DC

musophilr

Getting a bass line together for [i]Its a long way to the top[/i]. On the recording I've been listening to the bass is barely in there at all. It's all rhythm guitar & vocal. Having heard other AC/DC recordings which also appear not to have much bass in, I wonder if it really matters what you play so long as your rhythm works and your notes don't contradict anything the guitars are doing. How would the punters know if you're not playing what's on the record if they've never heard the bass on the record for themselves?

There are quite a few songs I play in my cover band where I don't follow the original bassline to the letter. If it's close enough and compliments the song that's usually enough. If anyone picks you up on it just say you're altering it to prevent copyright infringement ;)

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1327078386' post='1506156']
Getting a bass line together for [i]Its a long way to the top[/i]. On the recording I've been listening to the bass is barely in there at all. It's all rhythm guitar & vocal. Having heard other AC/DC recordings which also appear not to have much bass in, I wonder if it really matters what you play so long as your rhythm works and your notes don't contradict anything the guitars are doing. How would the punters know if you're not playing what's on the record if they've never heard the bass on the record for themselves?
[/quote]

It doesnt really matter, IMHO, I play wrong notes all the time and no one really notices. The crowd won't notice unless its something major!
If the crowd don't notice whats on the record they won't notice what you play live on it. I did 'Walk this way' and to be honest I can bearly make out what the bass is doing on the record, its soo quiet and undefined to my ears. So I make something up to fit, even the singer guitarist didn't know it was different to the record. As for mistakes? If you can mask them well and recover then you're sorted. Again all in my opinion.

Dan

Unless you're playing in a tribute band then it's extremely unlikely that the audience will even notice, let alone comment, if you change a bass line.
As long as it stays in keeping with the tune and you don't play horribly duff notes then you'll get away with it.

I was listening to the radio the other day and heard a familiar tune that I couldn't quite put my finger on... then I realised it was something I'd been playing in my covers band for the last three years without ever having heard the original... :blink:

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1327078781' post='1506163']
It doesnt really matter, IMHO, I play wrong notes all the time and no one really notices. The crowd won't notice unless its something major!
If the crowd don't notice whats on the record they won't notice what you play live on it. I did 'Walk this way' and to be honest I can bearly make out what the bass is doing on the record, its soo quiet and undefined to my ears. So I make something up to fit, even the singer guitarist didn't know it was different to the record. As for mistakes? If you can mask them well and recover then you're sorted. Again all in my opinion.

Dan
[/quote] Wrong notes? I think you mean 'alternative' notes!

AC/DC, it's mostly roots anyway.

Edited by leftyhook

If you're worried about it, try EQing your listening track with a graphic or parametric to lift out the bass line a little.

If you're [i]really[/i] worried, TAB here: [url="http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/ac-dc-its-a-long-way-to-the-top-bass-tab-s61897t5"]http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/ac-dc-its-a-long-way-to-the-top-bass-tab-s61897t5[/url]

:)

Right! Going against the grain here!

Drums and bass are the most important factors within AC/DC. They allow Angus, Malcolm and Brian to do their stuff. Listen to Phil on drums, although it sounds simple, he plays a lot off the beat and the bass has to match this. It is not an easy job being the bass player for AC/DC because you have to nail it, stay out of the way of Angus, Malcolm and Brian while being absolutely and completely consistent!

Do it badly at your peril! Everyone knows AC/DC and demand it be played properly.

its just rock n roll mate!

andy

[quote name='andy67' timestamp='1327082092' post='1506236']
Right! Going against the grain here!

Drums and bass are the most important factors within AC/DC. They allow Angus, Malcolm and Brian to do their stuff. Listen to Phil on drums, although it sounds simple, he plays a lot off the beat and the bass has to match this. It is not an easy job being the bass player for AC/DC because you have to nail it, stay out of the way of Angus, Malcolm and Brian while being absolutely and completely consistent!

Do it badly at your peril! Everyone knows AC/DC and demand it be played properly.

its just rock n roll mate!

andy
[/quote]

Entirely correct! Anyone who puts an AC/DC tribute band together and immeadiately seeks out Angus and Bon/Brian thinking they can get any old rhythm section to back them up has got it very wrong indeed!

Yep, it requires discipline to just sit back, and keep right out of the way of the guitars/vocs, yet still remain tight to the beat. Without that tightness, AC/DC wouldn`t be the band they are. Must admit, whenever I`ve been playing along to them, unless I can clearly hear the bassline, I keep to root notes, and make sure I maintain a steady rhythm.