Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland being live and Estelle's bassist with mad skillz

alexclaber

[quote name='OldGit' post='171403' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:38 PM']I know how business works and spend a lot of time on here reminding people of the need to play the game to get on. But, behind the pragmatism and acceptance of the situation sometime I just wish it was a little different.[/quote]
To a certain extent I'm with you that the machinery of business often compromises and erodes the soul of products, especially when they are art based, although as I've got older I have swum more with the tide having seen some really great talent get nowhere for various reasons (often attitude) or because they were unable to allow their product be moulded into something that makes corporate investment viable, which lets face it, is what record companies are, corporate investors.

I have come to the thinking that it's better to get something through that has a vestige of its original energy, than to see an artist trolling round doing pub gigs into their 50s not paying the rent and getting all f***ed up over it. I have seen that happen, and it's really sad.
And before anyone mis-reads and responds I am talking about specific personal witness experiences, and am in no way denigrating the hundreds of 50 plus musicians that have a good time playing. All power to their collective elbow.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='171425' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:54 PM'][I] am in no way denigrating the hundreds of 50 plus musicians that have a good time playing. All power to their collective elbow.[/quote]

Ha ha That's me ..
Thank goodness I don't depend on playing to pay the rent ...

[quote name='jakesbass' post='171425' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:54 PM']To a certain extent I'm with you that the machinery of business often compromises and erodes the soul of products, especially when they are art based, although as I've got older I have swum more with the tide having seen some really great talent get nowhere for various reasons (often attitude) or because they were unable to allow their product be moulded into something that makes corporate investment viable, which lets face it, is what record companies are, corporate investors.[/quote]

Sure.. No argument from me...

I like the way that the interweb has the potential to enable a good band to get on and get noticed. When bob Harris plays an unsigned band and gives out their website or myspace address they get a serious fillip.
The relative ease of recording and making CD's and the various shops and websites that stock unsigned band's stuff is great as well ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='171448' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:11 PM']Sure.. No argument from me...

I like the way that the interweb has the potential to enable a good band to get on and get noticed. When bob Harris plays an unsigned band and gives out their website or myspace address they get a serious fillip.
The relative ease of recording and making CD's and the various shops and websites that stock unsigned band's stuff is great as well ...[/quote]
Now you see that's the future, and I'm here in my little lab trying to devise a plan that means artists control their output entirely and share audiences based on similarity via networking sites, I'll get back to you when i've got the corporate finance to launch it :) :huh: ;)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='171454' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:14 PM']Now you see that's the future, and I'm here in my little lab trying to devise a plan that means artists control their output entirely and share audiences based on similarity via networking sites, I'll get back to you when i've got the corporate finance to launch it :huh: ;) ;)[/quote]

Well if I was out there trying to break an originals band I'd be so grateful for all the independent stuff that's there.
Back in the olden days you had no choice but to sell your soul to the devil ..

I like Chris Rea's story - 10 or so albums that he disliked but did for the corporation and then he started making rekkerds for himself - and they still sold well :)
Mind you he had to nearly die before deciding to do it his way...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='171355' date='Apr 7 2008, 12:49 PM']I'm gonna record this weeks on both normal/stereo and HD/5.1 to see if the mix is different. I've not always been impressed with the mixing on Jools and I'm kinda curious how it is done, different mixes for the room/live broadcast/live HD broadcast/rerun broadcast/rerun HD broadcast/iPlayer etc.[/quote]
It's an interesting question, my experience of TV/Radio engineers has always been that they are really impressive, and on the day make you feel like they are really on the ball. I think though that this is expedience as they are part of a larger animal than just the recording.... The Broadcast. So after doing live and pre recorded BBC and other companies on both TV and radio I've gone away thinking "that was great" then hear it or see it and think hmmmmm it seemed better on the day. Maybe that's partly why I was so keen to cut those guys a break.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='171355' date='Apr 7 2008, 12:49 PM']I'm gonna record this weeks on both normal/stereo and HD/5.1 to see if the mix is different. I've not always been impressed with the mixing on Jools and I'm kinda curious how it is done, different mixes for the room/live broadcast/live HD broadcast/rerun broadcast/rerun HD broadcast/iPlayer etc.[/quote]

If the live show was anything to go by, you might want to wait until next week! That was the worst line-up I've ever seen on Later, even worse than last weeks. I wouldn't want to listen to it more than once. Bring back Estelle!

[quote name='pete.young' post='172922' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:42 AM']If the live show was anything to go by, you might want to wait until next week! That was the worst line-up I've ever seen on Later, even worse than last weeks. I wouldn't want to listen to it more than once. Bring back Estelle![/quote]
I quite enjoyed Natty, which surprised me. Generally leaden, dull and ponderous though. I think I'll revert to not watching Jools, it seems destined to sit looking forlornly at the bar that OGWT put up and never even try to attain it.

Did anyone else notice that from certain angles, Ms Goldfrapp looked as if her knickers had fallen down?

[quote name='tauzero' post='173107' date='Apr 9 2008, 01:58 PM']Did anyone else notice that from certain angles, Ms Goldfrapp looked as if her knickers had fallen down?[/quote]

I think we're going to have to wait for Ferret to watch the HDTV version for confirmation. LOL.

[quote name='pete.young' post='172922' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:42 AM']If the live show was anything to go by, you might want to wait until next week! That was the worst line-up I've ever seen on Later, even worse than last weeks. I wouldn't want to listen to it more than once. Bring back Estelle![/quote]
+1

It was dire wasn't it! I love Goldfrapp's first few albums, 'Felt Mountain' in particular, but they were very disappointing.. And the less said about The Kooks and their singer the better.. He's another one of the modern crop of 'indie stars' who's obviously been given a personality bypass the day he signed his recording contract! Totally uninspiring...

Yes the HD broadcast was in 5.1 and no I could not see Alison Goldrapp's nickers. While the HD picture was very good, could see every gobule of Yeasayers drummers spit when he was singing, the sound was completely different and much better on HD. You could hear the Yeasayer bass guys lovely G&L fretless much better and all the performances I've watched so far sounded much better and had a much better sense of timing and swing - Goldfrapp came to life and I guess that probably takes us back to my original comments regarding Estelle, and the lack of groove (or swing if you like) cos of the guys overplaying that I thought I could hear.

The Kooks were not up to much and whats with the pretty boy bass player - should not be allowed :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='174234' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:27 PM']The Kooks were not up to much and whats with the pretty boy bass player - should not be allowed :)[/quote]

It wasnt so much the pretty boy bass player that got me but Tom Baker from his Dr Who days on lead Guitar!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='174234' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:27 PM']Yes the HD broadcast was in 5.1 and no I could not see Alison Goldrapp's nickers. While the HD picture was very good, could see every gobule of Yeasayers drummers spit when he was singing, the sound was completely different and much better on HD. You could hear the Yeasayer bass guys lovely G&L fretless much better and all the performances I've watched so far sounded much better and had a much better sense of timing and swing - Goldfrapp came to life and I guess that probably takes us back to my original comments regarding Estelle, and the lack of groove (or swing if you like) cos of the guys overplaying that I thought I could hear.

The Kooks were not up to much and whats with the pretty boy bass player - should not be allowed :)[/quote]

Cool. just downloading it now.
I must admit no one other that Goldfrapp interests me.

I tend to stick Jools on the series record button and then watch it over the weekend with the easy option of zipping past anything I don't like (which can often be a fair chunk of the show).

Against my initial impression I really quite liked Yeasayer - especially the Sunrise. Got a bit fed up with the singer's David Byrne impressions but liked the song and thought the bass player was kinda cool, in a slightly odd way, nice "unconventional" choice of bass too :)

Jools show is a lot like the Whistle Test of years gone by.

Everybody looks back and say's how great the Whistle test was, when in fact it usually contained about 20% of the show as decent listenable music and the other 80% was crap.

Jools show is exactly the same and mostly dominated by some really poor bands/artists.

The best thing to do is to video record it then fast forward all the bad bits, it saves wasting a good hour of precious time.

I must comment on that band called the Only Ones, what a sad old bunch of losers.
If guys get to that age and still can't perform to a decent level they should have retired from the music business years ago.
I'm really suprised they are given TV airtime, they wouldn't even get a pub gig in my city with that sort of performance.

just watched last nights repeat. loved the tone off the Yeasayer's bassisist's Asat fretless. the guy had a nice sense of space to his playing with some wicked little fills. the vocalist though seemed to lift a lot of his posturing and movement straight off Brandon Flowers, and anyway singers with beards are just not on

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='175414' date='Apr 12 2008, 08:46 PM']Really enjoyed Goldfrapp, but kept wondering how heavy Charlies' (Perspex) bass must be...[/quote]

Is that Charlie Jones?

Not this one was it?

[url="http://www.crimsonguitars.com/CharlieJonesBass.html"]http://www.crimsonguitars.com/CharlieJonesBass.html[/url]

[quote name='steantval' post='175371' date='Apr 12 2008, 06:51 PM']Jools show is a lot like the Whistle Test of years gone by.

Everybody looks back and say's how great the Whistle test was, when in fact it usually contained about 20% of the show as decent listenable music and the other 80% was crap.

Jools show is exactly the same and mostly dominated by some really poor bands/artists.

The best thing to do is to video record it then fast forward all the bad bits, it saves wasting a good hour of precious time.

I must comment on that band called the Only Ones, what a sad old bunch of losers.
If guys get to that age and still can't perform to a decent level they should have retired from the music business years ago.
I'm really suprised they are given TV airtime, they wouldn't even get a pub gig in my city with that sort of performance.[/quote]

No offence but I totally disagree with you there! For me, the value of the show is to sit through the whole thing and experience a lot of different types of music/artist that I wouldn't normally get exposed to. I think that there's value to be found in all music if you just make the effort to look for it. I for one enjoyed the Only Ones. The beauty of music is that it can be sloppy and thrown together and still be fun and entertaining. The punk ethic was hardly to practice all night for 10 years was it?!?

[quote name='beerdragon' post='175509' date='Apr 13 2008, 01:51 AM']I don't think 80% of the whistle test was crap. far from it, how much crap can you pick from this.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+old+grey+whistle+test&search_type="]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...mp;search_type=[/url][/quote]

+1
Though the "otway falls off amp" clip isn't the clasic one when he lands astride the guitar amp :)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8C-BwAbAdc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8C-BwAbAdc[/url]