Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland being live and Estelle's bassist with mad skillz

alexclaber

[quote name='Viajero' post='168427' date='Apr 2 2008, 01:14 PM']Did anyone catch what bass that legend was using?[/quote]

Looked like a Spector to me but I bet he could have got an equally great tone from any number of different basses - it sounded like his hands were doing all the talking.

Alex

I have to say that I really enjoyed that performance, although as some people have mentioned I think that if I had to sit through a whole gig in that style it might start to grind a bit.

I thought the chap's bass tone was very nice - was that quite a lot of compression?

+1 for the Ronnie Wood reference as well - I was sure it was him until I saw the teeth!

I had Estelle's old album and loved it. I saw her perform some tracks off it back then and knew she had talent. Its good to see her getting the recognition she deserves :) I love American Boy so will prob get her new album.

Nice chops from the drummer and Bassist so she knows how to throw a good band together too :huh:

Guest Golchen

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='168136' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:35 AM']I saw it last night, the guy was playing a Schecter which was unusual.

I thought the band lost it a bit during the instrumental breaks and although the slap bass was a novelty to begin with, it looked a bit silly towards the end as he'd started off busy and couldn't build the dynamics of the song much further without playing more notes. :) Definitely technically proficient but I wasn't convinced by his musicality.[/quote]

I'm quite suprised to read a comment like that. I really enjoyed the bass playing in particular, and it just seems a bit strange to be knocking it. What do I know, I'm only just getting into bass playing really. (no offence intended!)

Watched it and the guy had all the chops and f*** all groove. He did not find the one until the last verse or so when it all came together. Surprised (or not) that only me and the Kiwi felt it.

Dont know what the bass was - i'll take CK's word it was a Schecter and his rig was a GK.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='168136' date='Apr 2 2008, 07:05 AM']I saw it last night, the guy was playing a Schecter which was unusual.

I thought the band lost it a bit during the instrumental breaks and although the slap bass was a novelty to begin with, it looked a bit silly towards the end as he'd started off busy and couldn't build the dynamics of the song much further without playing more notes. :) Definitely technically proficient but I wasn't convinced by his musicality.[/quote]

Yep .
That just about summed that up. :huh:

James Taylor was about the only turn on the gig , who had any feel for music.. ;)
On the the night anyway...

Garry

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='168819' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:45 PM']Watched it and the guy had all the chops and f*** all groove. He did not find the one until the last verse or so when it all came together. Surprised (or not) that only me and the Kiwi felt it.

Dont know what the bass was - i'll take CK's word it was a Schecter and his rig was a GK.[/quote]
He was certainly busy and I can understand someone being turned off by that (I am a bit) but to say he "has f*** all groove" sounds a bit like an old bitter fart unable to give credit where credit's due. When the boy calms down a bit, when the flushes of youth are expunged from his veins, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he could lay down a fatter track than the vast majority of guys on this board.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='168874' date='Apr 3 2008, 08:20 AM']I wouldn't be at all surprised if he could lay down a fatter track than the vast majority of guys on this board.[/quote]

Way better than me .. and he got the gig on the telly ...

[quote name='lowdown' post='168880' date='Apr 3 2008, 08:38 AM']Crawling all over the LEAD VOCAL line...
Did not help the song...
So you are proberly right about his youth shinning through.

Garry[/quote]
I didn't enjoy it particularly, as I said in my earlier post I thought James Taylor gave a vastly better performance, but then he has been doing it for forty years.
My point was that to say as BF did, that he had "f*** all groove", was more than a little inaccurate and it seems to me based in some form of twisted inability to congratulate someones achievements, I could be wrong, its just how it sounds to me.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='lowdown' post='168880' date='Apr 3 2008, 08:38 AM']Crawling all over the LEAD VOCAL line...
Did not help the song...[/quote]
on that point specifically, its arguable that Jamerson crawled all over the lead vocal, where his genius lay (IMO) is that in his case it [i]did[/i] help the song, and in some cases made it.
The word here is Musicality, which is what Kiwi pointed out, and then Ferret set fire to it.

[quote name='Sparky' post='168161' date='Apr 2 2008, 09:15 AM']and it's always nice to see a great band perform live on the telly (without having to watch come dancing!!! ;))[/quote]

Ah....Bass Player Mr Trevor Barry :)
He can rock a bit... :huh:

Garry

I found it all terribly disappointing and uninspiring.... much like most recent Jools shows. I enjoyed Estelle's bassist but, though obviously talented, he was far too busy...

The less said about The Only Ones, The Black kids etc.... the better.

James Taylor was the only shining light.... soul, groove, feel, depth and talent.... hence the longevity....

Rhythmically the first Estelle song was a mess cos bass chops was not playing in time with the drums - made all the more obvious because the drums were too loud on the HD broadcast. As far as I am concerned the first duty of a bass player is to play in time with the drums, playing around the beat if the drummer is good enough but still playing in time.

If have often noticed the mixing on Jools leaves something to be desired and it will be interesting to see if the mixing is better on the Friday/Saturday repeat.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='169011' date='Apr 3 2008, 12:18 PM']Rhythmically the first Estelle song was a mess cos bass chops was not playing in time with the drums -[/quote]

Do you want to qualify that statement? I've been listening to bass players closely for 35 years, I have played professionally for 20 and I teach to degree standard, which has led me to assess bass players abilities for 10 years, I think your assessment is slightly off the mark. His time is good, he locks with the kit which I think was on a click, the only justifiable criticism to my mind is he overplays.
Jake

Not a very good bassist in the first, but [b]much[/b] better in the second song. So perhaps a case of nerves as the opening act. I can see the Khumalo comparison in the second song (a million miles away in the first).

As others have said, he will better with age, and learn that beauty comes with stripping away the superfluous.

I'm falling in love with Adele, imagine waking up to that voice in the morning. She's gorgeous too.

[quote name='paul, the' post='169126' date='Apr 3 2008, 02:12 PM']Not a very good bassist in the first, but [b]much[/b] better in the second song. So perhaps a case of nerves as the opening act. I can see the Khumalo comparison in the second song (a million miles away in the first).

As others have said, he will better with age, and learn that beauty comes with stripping away the superfluous.

I'm falling in love with Adele, imagine waking up to that voice in the morning. She's gorgeous too.[/quote]

Voice like an angel........... face like a taxi driver...... :) .......I'M JOKING!!!!!!!!

I'm quite shocked at how he managed to get that tone out of that Schecter, but nonetheless I like his playing but after a few listens it does sound like he could've held back a little.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='alexclaber' post='168167' date='Apr 2 2008, 09:22 AM']The Only Ones' vocals were hilariously bad and until I googled them I thought it was Ronnie Wood fronting them - stick to playing guitar, I said!
Alex[/quote]

Just watched that. Wow. One of my favourite bands reduced to that! Peter and His Friends really have fried themselves up. I remember thinking about making an effort to go and see them - that's just saved me the bother :huh:

The band I was in at school 15 years ago did a better version of "Another Girl Another Planet". :)