Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland being live and Estelle's bassist with mad skillz

alexclaber

[quote name='beerdragon' post='175509' date='Apr 13 2008, 01:51 AM']I don't think 80% of the whistle test was crap. far from it, how much crap can you pick from this.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+old+grey+whistle+test&search_type="]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...mp;search_type=[/url][/quote]
One mans meat is another mans poison. Its subjective.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Golchen' post='175471' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:48 PM']No offence but I totally disagree with you there! For me, the value of the show is to sit through the whole thing and experience a lot of different types of music/artist that I wouldn't normally get exposed to. I think that there's value to be found in all music if you just make the effort to look for it. I for one enjoyed the Only Ones. The beauty of music is that it can be sloppy and thrown together and still be fun and entertaining. The punk ethic was hardly to practice all night for 10 years was it?!?[/quote]

Yay!, +1

It's exactly why I watch the show, and probably JHs reason for doing it. A noble reason at that.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='175550' date='Apr 13 2008, 10:23 AM']As someone who is old enough to have watched the Wistle Test it did have a lot of Wispering Bobs country crap on it as well. The later punk shows were better.[/quote]

For me read: The later punk shows were crap. It did have a lot Whispering Bobs country that were better
:)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='170647' date='Apr 6 2008, 12:28 PM']Calm down folks - it's only a piece of music we're talking about..[/quote]

Plus, its not a very interesting or good piece of music to start arguing over. In 2 years time, nobody will be thinking, listening or talking about this song. Its not going to be a classic, thats for sure.

Mayb'e I was a bit harsh saying 80% of it was crap, it was probably about 50%.

I totally understand music is a really subjective issue, but I really respect the musicians who put in the time and do their apprenticeship, rather than instant stardom because its fashionable.

I just did not get the Punk thing.

From a bassist's point of view Geddy Lee v's Sid Vicious, no contest.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='175381' date='Apr 12 2008, 07:19 PM']just watched last nights repeat. loved the tone off the Yeasayer's bassisist's Asat fretless. the guy had a nice sense of space to his playing with some wicked little fills. the vocalist though seemed to lift a lot of his posturing and movement straight off Brandon Flowers, and anyway singers with beards are just not on[/quote]

I really liked the Yeasayer song and bassist. He had a bit of a Jaco look and theme to him. I ended up downloading the album.

[quote name='Golchen' post='175471' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:48 PM']No offence but I totally disagree with you there! For me, the value of the show is to sit through the whole thing and experience a lot of different types of music/artist that I wouldn't normally get exposed to.[/quote]
I've given up on the concept of banging your head against a wall because it's so pleasant when you stop.

There are a thousand reasons to listen to music, and there are a thousand reasons for making it. Y'all need to sit back and enjoy. Or fast forward to the bits you like. Or sing in the bath. Or chant at a match. Or catch some youtubes. Or drunkenly slur 'wooooooooooooah, baby baby! I wannaaaa knoooooorrrr, if yurrrl be mai gurrrrrrrl!' outside a cheese club at closing time. Not your thing? Fine. Someone out there is enjoying making it and someone is enjoying listening to it. Even reggae.*

"Don't bore me with your little sidestep techniques / get to the beat, loosen up, it's The Streets."

*Cheap shot. All apologies.