Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland being live and Estelle's bassist with mad skillz

alexclaber

Couldn't count them live - it was just a blur :)

Someone had the oldest/dirtiest functional P bass in captivity and The drummer and singer in the Only Ones looked like they'd been spending a few years dead for tax reasons during their time off from the band ...

[quote name='Platypus' post='168048' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:56 PM']As far as I'm aware, this was just a preview for the new series which begins on Friday - think it will be repeated then

P[/quote]

Hope so
Seems like half or Basschat rehearses on Tuesdays :)

I saw it last night, the guy was playing a Schecter which was unusual.

I thought the band lost it a bit during the instrumental breaks and although the slap bass was a novelty to begin with, it looked a bit silly towards the end as he'd started off busy and couldn't build the dynamics of the song much further without playing more notes. :) Definitely technically proficient but I wasn't convinced by his musicality.

[quote name='Platypus' post='168048' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:56 PM']As far as I'm aware, this was just a preview for the new series which begins on Friday - think it will be repeated then

P[/quote]

Ahhh thats good..... I thought they had cut the show to just half hour.... I love that 'American Boy' tune.... even if it was a bit messy live.

Man that guy can play!! Does anyone know who he was and what else he's worked on. The drummer was fantastic too. I had my keyboard player sending me text messages in appreciation of his chops so he must have been doing something right!!

I believe that Tuesday is now counted as the main show, but that its repeated on Fridays at the usual time - with some extra performances to boot.

[quote name='OldGit' post='168042' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:45 PM']The drummer and singer in the Only Ones looked like they'd been spending a few years dead for tax reasons during their time off from the band ...[/quote]

:)

They were a bit disapointing I thought mainly because Peter Perret seemed completely unable to sing or perform with any consistency, looking particularly wasted in the process! There's a bit about how his 'addictions' have derailed his career in the Only Ones Wiki:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Only_Ones"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Only_Ones[/url]

Shame because they were a great band...

AFAIK, this new time slot for Later is how it's going it be from now on and that's a real loss because it's only a half hour show!

Yeah he was alright...:)

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009r6cn.shtml?filter=txdate%3A01-04&filter=txslot%3Aevening&start=1&scope=iplayerlast7days&version_pid=b009r64c"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b00...on_pid=b009r64c[/url]

[quote name='urb' post='168154' date='Apr 2 2008, 07:54 AM']Yeah he was alright...:)

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009r6cn.shtml?filter=txdate%3A01-04&filter=txslot%3Aevening&start=1&scope=iplayerlast7days&version_pid=b009r64c"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b00...on_pid=b009r64c[/url][/quote]

It's stuff like this - the instantly available repeated programmes for free - that make the licence fee so worthwhile.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='168136' date='Apr 2 2008, 08:05 AM']I thought the band lost it a bit during the instrumental breaks and although the slap bass was a novelty to begin with, it looked a bit silly towards the end as he'd started off busy and couldn't build the dynamics of the song much further without playing more notes. :huh: Definitely technically proficient but I wasn't convinced by his musicality.[/quote]+1 on that.

Was a little disappointed with the arrangement of last night's live version of American Boy - the faster tempo just seemed to evade/lack the infectious groove that makes the radio version so great.. Was impressed though that the rapper (Kano? - er, not Kanye?!) kept it going during his section when the backing got a little more 'freestyle' ;). All that aside, the second Estelle track at the end of the show was great and it's always nice to see a great band perform live on the telly (without having to watch come dancing!!! ;))

[quote]Someone had the oldest/dirtiest functional P bass in captivity...[/quote] haha - it was nice wasn't it - that was the bass player from 'Black Kids'.. terrible singing although maybe that's just the 'vibe' :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='168145' date='Apr 2 2008, 08:37 AM']:huh:

They were a bit disapointing I thought mainly because Peter Perret seemed completely unable to sing or perform with any consistency, looking particularly wasted in the process! There's a bit about how his 'addictions' have derailed his career in the Only Ones Wiki:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Only_Ones"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Only_Ones[/url]

Shame because they were a great band...

AFAIK, this new time slot for Later is how it's going it be from now on and that's a real loss because it's only a half hour show![/quote]

No.

The Tuesday night 30 minute show is [b]IN ADDITION [/b]to the Friday night full length one.

Isn't it? :)

Caleb Speir was the bassist on the studio track but I've yet to suss out who's got the Estelle gig. A pile of notes on the second track she played too, really intense bass playing! I haven't heard the single, I presume it's a lot of sampled cut and pasting judging by the complexity of the live arrangement.

The Only Ones' vocals were hilariously bad and until I googled them I thought it was Ronnie Wood fronting them - stick to playing guitar, I said!

Alex

[quote name='OldGit' post='168157' date='Apr 2 2008, 09:06 AM']It's stuff like this - the instantly available repeated programmes for free - that make the licence fee so worthwhile.[/quote]

Even my mum uses it - on her Mac Book - I have a cool mum :)

Re the clip it's nice to see a band really letting rip on Jools Holland - I find a lot of performances a bit po-faced but this one rocked - even if it got a bit OTT at times.

M

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='168163' date='Apr 2 2008, 08:16 AM']No.

The Tuesday night 30 minute show is [b]IN ADDITION [/b]to the Friday night full length one.

Isn't it? :)[/quote]
Yep, sorry! You are 100% spot on..

I checked the BBC listings and each Friday night the show is broadcast again but as an extended version.. So we get more performances by each artist, which is brilliant!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='168227' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:48 AM']Yep, sorry! You are 100% spot on..

I checked the BBC listings and each Friday night the show is broadcast again but as an extended version.. So we get more performances by each artist, which is brilliant![/quote]

Phew! Thought we were being shortchanged again but it's actually better!

Jool kept saying Estelle was number one - is that in the charts?
If so it's refreshing that someone topping the charts can actually perform live ...

Edited by OldGit

Great live playing, good feel, definitely very capable players. It's probably through me approaching old fartdom that I found it all a bit lacking in taste. I would take nothing away from them, and I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy a gig of theirs, I just think they could keep some chops in reserve.
'sa bit bling innit!
(i'm talking about Estelle)

wheras James Taylor knocked me out. (I'm definitely becoming an old fart)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='alexclaber' post='167986' date='Apr 1 2008, 09:55 PM']The most over-the-top (in a good way) pop basslines I have heard since Mr Khumalo blew Graceland out of the water. Nice.

Alex[/quote]

Yeah, i thought that as well. very well played.

Shame it wasnt in DD5.1 last night.

Am i right in thinking it was also live. Jools did say that but i want sure if it was a repeat.

Edited by dave_bass5