Why become a member? ×

In need of a favor.

ObscureRyan

Right guys, here is the deal.

My band is touring with a band called William Control from the states, we are both rather electro sounding bands. William has asked me to be stand in bassist for his shows too, of course i agreed.
He has sent me the setlist though email which is 15 tracks long, i was expecting him to send me the chords too but he hasn't and I can't hear notes by ear. I asked a friend to tab the tracks up for me but he has let me down.

Is there anyone here who could help me out and tab the tracks for me? Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

I think if you're playing with the professionals you should be beyond the stage of asking people for tabs. Can't you get the sheet music for it? I would suggest that maybe now or sometime in the very near future is the time to start learning to transcribe by ear.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325785963' post='1487723']
Here's the letter 'u' you missed:

u

Good luck with the gigs... I hope they go well.
[/quote]

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that he may possibly be American...

Edited by EdwardHimself

cut the guy some slack. He's explained the situation. Not a session guy or pretending to be one. Just doing someone a favour. I assume the guy who's asked him to stand in has some idea what he's getting. More importantly, he's asked for help, not a lecture. So if you cant help, move on to another thread.

Edited by RichF

Rich is right, there's no need to jump down OP's throat for asking for help.

However, you've mentioned the tracks are fairly simple? Maybe sit down if you have some time, with your bass, and just listen to the tracks, with one headphone out. You can work out the root note from there, and work out the rest of the chords. Just a suggestion :yarr:

I have just had a listen to the music on Myspace and its all really easy. Lots of eights and driving bass lines. Man I would love to do this gig, would be right up my street.

Where are you based, I could learn the songs and show you what they are but I can't do TAB but honestly the tracks I have listened to are so very very easy.

Maybe get a different Basschatter from each region where a gig is scheduled? How cool would that be to do 15 dates with 15 different bass players! Kind of Spinal Tap! That way you don't have to learn all the tunes and you get to meet a load of nice guys, talk bass and stuff. Crazy idea.

(gets coat)

[i][quote name='RichF' timestamp='1325787050' post='1487758']
cut the guy some slack. He's explained the situation. Not a session guy or pretending to be one. Just doing someone a favour. I assume the guy who's asked him to stand in has some idea what he's getting. More importantly, he's asked for help, not a lecture. So if you cant help, move on to another thread.
[/quote][/i]

Here, here..More power to you!! Let's make 2012 a more positive year with less conflict between the members...

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1325787050' post='1487758']
[/quote]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1325790678' post='1487854']

Here, here..More power to you!! Let's make 2012 a more positive year with less conflict between the members...
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more and was actually surprised, given the number of posts EH has made, to read such a comment on here?

ObscureRyan

OK, first three songs are done. Structure, chords and as a special treat I have recorded the bass lines on my Tascam so you can hear exactly what needs to be played. So give me your email address and I will send over the mp3's as well as the word document containing the chords etc.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='patch006' timestamp='1325788226' post='1487791']
Yeah Rich is right, this is a forum not somewhere to have a go. If people haven't got something constructive to say, then its prob best not to say anything!! :angry:
[/quote]

I suggested something for him to do, that is to start learning to transcribe songs by ear or buy the sheet music for it. Tell me though, how is your comment in any way being helpful or constructive?

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1325791857' post='1487884']
I couldn't agree more and was actually surprised, given the number of posts EH has made, to read such a comment on here?
[/quote]

I am allowed to have an opinion aren't I? Seriously, what really used to piss me off when I was in a band was having the other 2 members constantly asking me to give them the tabs to all the songs we were doing. I used to just cut them a bit of slack though because they hadn't been playing very long. But seriously, if you're getting asked to play professional gigs like this, you should be past the stage of having to ask people for tabs. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, here. Just telling you what I think.

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1325787050' post='1487758']
[/quote]

Mate, I am trying to help. I'm just not going to sit here and spoonfeed someone with some tabs which in the long run is not really going to help this guy. "Give a guy a fish" and all that...

Edited by EdwardHimself

hmmm.... I'm with EH on this.

The tracks couldn't be much simpler...
maybe the OP should get a bit more help from the guy he is helping out...and expect a decent chart to work from.
REALLY don't understand how you can't hear those changes though...

oh well.... where is Bilbao when you need him :lol:

[quote name='ObscureRyan' timestamp='1325784557' post='1487686']
I can't hear notes by ear.
[/quote]
[quote name='ObscureRyan' timestamp='1325784983' post='1487700']
Oh yeah i would like to add that the songs are [b]very simple.[/b]
[/quote]
'Very simple'?
Ryan, please don't take this the wrong way...
Have you really tried to figure the songs out?...I mean [b]really[/b] tried?

There's nothing like being thrown in at the deep end, sweating and panicking at the thought of the imminent gig to focus the mind... it's part of the learning process. Sit down and really try to 'hear notes by ear', try to figure it out for yourself. Work at it... don't just look to others for the quick and easy solution.

If the gigs are in a couple of days and you've really struggled with it, and got nowhere...then fair do's!