Why become a member? ×

A bloke walks into a music shop........

LeftyBiskit

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1325165059' post='1480395']
I could go to another music superstore I know of in Bolton,But them robbing a@#eholes are'nt getting a penny out of me no matter how desperate things get.
[/quote]

None of the music shops in Bolton stock flats at all, i've checked in all 3 (Well 2.5 in my eyes really). I ended up being given my Picato's on here.

Liam

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325179592' post='1480675']
I only ever did it once with a 'major' purchase.
A Line 6 amp head, I hated it within minutes of switching it on.
Fortunately, the online retailer agreed to take it straight back and collected it the following day.
[/quote]

He didn't have a choice under the Distance Selling Regulations.

Strings: Stringbusters gets my business mostly - or Status. I really like Status half-wounds.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325182055' post='1480716']
Nope, but they paid for a courier to come and collect it at their expense and my convenience - that's way above the call of duty in my book.
[/quote]

That is pretty good!

I like Hartnolls in Plymouth for that level of service! great shop.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325182055' post='1480716']
Nope, but they paid for a courier to come and collect it at their expense and my convenience - that's way above the call of duty in my book.
[/quote]

this is set to become part of the regulations for Distance Selling.... so expect it to have an affect on the price of online goods

Edited by crez5150

Promenade Music in Morecambe are excellent. They have a wide range of strings in stock,including a few different brands of flats. The shop is run by musicians and the service is great. The prices are competitive and they are always keen to do a deal for multiple purchases. Give them a try, ask for Gary 01524 410202. Thoroughly good people.

MB1. B)
Even though theyre Not LOCAL!....i'll second that emotion! ;)
Well worth a visit!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1325178514' post='1480654']
Until you want to try something.
[/quote]

That's a fair point, but it's fairly obvious what people will do.

If they really want to try before buying they'll find a shop that stocks the item and will allow a try-out. They'll then go home and order it cheaper on line (unless the retailer can price-match).

Of course, this is not really 'fair' but it is the reality of what retailers face.

When all the retailers have gone bust because of such practices then people will just buy online and use the Distance Selling Regulations as a guaranteed means to return the goods if they dont like them after trying them. Even if they have to pay the return shipping then they've still saved on time and transport.

However, when most retailers really have gone bust and there are no more high street shops, I predict a rise in 'demo centres'. These might be like the current Apple Stores or they might be shared facilities funded by a number of manufacturers but the basic concept would be somewhere to have a close look at things and try them out before ordering them in-store for delivery from a centralised warehouse - which is pretty much how places like John Lewis already work when it comes to large items anyway.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1325184595' post='1480748']

However, when most retailers really have gone bust and there are no more high street shops, I predict a rise in 'demo centres'. These might be like the current Apple Stores or they might be shared facilities funded by a number of manufacturers but the basic concept would be somewhere to have a close look at things and try them out before ordering them in-store for delivery from a centralised warehouse - which is pretty much how places like John Lewis already work when it comes to large items anyway.
[/quote]

This is already in practice with manufacturers such as Roland and Yamaha with their instore 'Planets'. The staff are employed by the manufacturers and not the store....

I think our ever increasing expectations are causing us to become more disappointed. Essentially the internet stores that are a one stop shop make us expect more from our local shops. Unfortunately in order to compete with the lower online prices (usually aided by the fact the online retail section has minimal overheads) the local shops are having to cut everything to the bone in order to be competetive. This means they can't sit on thousands of pounds worth of stock as they litterally don't have thousands in the bank to outlay on it.

Further to this you would probably find many online stores don't hold stock either. Instead they have a system that will order any non stock items (maybe flats) as soon as you place your order. As deliveries can be quick you don't ever know this has happened.

There are some local shops that do a fantastic job of helping and many offer excellent service which is purely a result of well managed and trained staff with a passion for giving good service. Places like the Bass Merchant, Bass Direct and many other shops survive as they go the extra mile and are true experts - icastle clearly worked in a shop that had it's act together.

Personally I'd rather my local shop had to order something in for me than either go bust and close because it spent out to get every conceivable item on the shelf or charge the earth for everything to fund a massive display of gear. As long as they endeavor to give a friendly and professional service I'll shop with them.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1325180606' post='1480692']
None of the music shops in Bolton stock flats at all, i've checked in all 3 (Well 2.5 in my eyes really). I ended up being given my Picato's on here.

Liam
[/quote]

I've previously bought strings online and have been more than happy with the service and quality with both suppliers that I have used(New strings Direct+Stringbusters)But as I was in town today I thought that I would show some support to our local retailers,alas It wasnt to be.

Gentlemen,women have been doing this for decades.
They try in a store.
Or look at a catalogue..(remember them?)
They order 3 different sizes of the same item, they try all three in the comfort of their home,they then send back the two sizes they don`t want.
I can`t see how buying musical equipment at a distance is any different, especially if we are protected in law.
They buy shoes,we buy basses.
fairynuff.

• 1 month later...

Or as my daughter recently worked out. Order various sizes or order three very similar items to try on. This then takes you over the minimum price for free delivery then return the unwanted items.
Tried out in the comfort of home and free delivery.
Doesn't work all the time but works ore times than it doesn't.

I'll also give a belated vote for Strings Direct. Ordered my Picato flats twenty past two yesterday and they were waiting on the mat when I got in from work tonight - which is particularly excellent when Hereford post usually runs a couple of days behind the rest of the civilised world.

... and only £17.95 with free delivery.

I'll still give Staus half wounds a go soon though

You can't expect retailers to compete on price or stock diversity with internet sellers. I live out in the sticks and go to big towns as infrequently as possible, hence I'm quite used to ordering consumables online. For major capital spend, I'm quite happy to take a trip to the shop, and I've had excellent service from Jack White's in Ipswich: they couldn't quite match an internet price but they got close.

I buy strings online from the French equivalent of Stringbusters far cheaper than in the stores. However, there is an attraction about a music shop. I can't ever remember walking in, straight to the counter, buying and then back out the door. There's always stuff that catches my eye so I'll look, pick it up, strum it , plug it in etc. It will be a shame if we lose them all and although I may buy strings online, I never buy new gear or instruments online. Someone in a shop somewhere, will always do a deal somehow. So I give them a chance to do so.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1325232240' post='1481106']
G ot all my strings from Status for the last couple of years, Excellent prices, range and service and I can order when I have the time.
Promenade is a hundred mile round trip for me, but it's worth it for something big and new,
Gary is excellent.
[/quote]

I ended up getting a set of flats from Status-very reasonably priced and free delivery(i think)-ordered them on a saturday,just after starting this thread actually and they arrived on tuesday-cant say fairer than that can ye.

Sorry guys you've lost me. Why does being a high street retailer prevent you from being an online retailer as well?

Surely this is a case of evolve or die out.

There are a couple of shops near me with a great set up. In the back room they have a mini photo booth set up. Secondhand gear gets photographed and straight onto their websites.

It can't be hard for them to sell you a set of flats, take payment and you pick them up next day. Saving all that hassle of collecting stuff from the post office or missing the courier because you're at work.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1328131413' post='1522505']
Sorry guys you've lost me. Why does being a high street retailer prevent you from being an online retailer as well?

Surely this is a case of evolve or die out.

There are a couple of shops near me with a great set up. In the back room they have a mini photo booth set up. Secondhand gear gets photographed and straight onto their websites.

It can't be hard for them to sell you a set of flats, take payment and you pick them up next day. Saving all that hassle of collecting stuff from the post office or missing the courier because you're at work.
[/quote]

I t doesn't.... but those stores that do it well do not have their main on-line despatch out the back of the shop. They have a separate warehouse/unit that deals solely in sending on-line sales out the door. GAK/DV247/PMT/Nevada/Guitar Guitar/Intersales.... there are quite a few of them that do it successfully

Maybe I'm pretty fortunate but there are two decent music shops where I live, usually I go to them first and if I draw a blank go online. If you have a decent well stocked music shop locally and you want it to still be there when you urgently need something half hour before a gig then you need to support them. Simple really. If your music shop is run by monkeys and doesn't stock anything that's a whole other situation though.

The point I was making is that you have to do something different from the big online shops. They can buy bulk etc but don't have that casual walk in and browse thing.

If you have a PC in the shop that you can let customers see what you can get in and they know it will be there next day you may not lose their custom. I get told "We can try and get some in for you", rather than "I don't have any in stock but can get some here for tomorrow."

Mainly it's a lack of dynamic customer service but I do realise that it must be the hardest thing in the world continually being nice to tyre kickers.

There may also be tie ins that I'm not aware of maybe to be a string/bass/amp stockist you have to order a minimum quantity?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1328178976' post='1522996']
There may also be tie ins that I'm not aware of maybe to be a string/bass/amp stockist you have to order a minimum quantity?
[/quote]

It varies.
Strings suppliers are generally OK with shops ordering single packs.

Equipment can be a,little different though - most manufacturers/importers will expect you to take a representative selection from the range before they will supply you.
Once you've done that then they'll quite happily sell you one unit at a time, usually through a 'rep' who will make sure that you're still displaying that selection.
The idea is that if they list your shop as a 'stockist' they don't want customers turning up only to find that all you've got is one product to look at.

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1325165860' post='1480412']
I'm not entirely surprised though, i worked in a music shop for 18 months and never once got asked for flats (did once get asked if we sold spark plugs though!?).
[/quote]

+ 1 to this

Even if they had some flats in stock, what are the chances that they would have been the ones you were looking for?

I've had more people come into our shop and ask if the cafe (which closed 15 years ago) was still open than I've had people asking for flats...