Why become a member? ×

Manic Street Preachers

Hobbayne

Just watching a Jools Holland DVD with the MSP singing 'If you Tolerate This' and the most boring bass player in the world, root note plodder Nicky Wire was more interested in leaping about like a sheep on heat; and looking cool, leaving old James Dean Bradfield to sing - and do a guitar solo!!
In my head, I worked out a nice bassline that would work in 5 minutes!

Edited by Hobbayne

I used to love the Manics in the early days but must confess lost interest once their mainstream album Everything Must Go came out. I think he's great, he doesn't pretend to be a great player but actually fits the band well. Personally I thought his solo album was a step too far but fair play to him

Good song, excellent album. The various members of MSP grew up together and are bonded in a way that goes beyond musicianship so picking on particular members for what they can or can't do pretty much misses the point to me, and I'm not that big a fan of the band. Maybe Wire has developed the slightly larger than life stage persona to act as a foil for the fact that Bradfield's doing a lot of work vocally/musically can't really move around that much?

Great band and have done some good songs.
With reference to the song-it works.
I hope us bass players don,t have to be ugly,short,fat ,bald members who have to hide at the side of the stage again.
In my eyes you are a musician when writing and recording material then you are a performer when playing the songs live.
Stage persona I think it,s called or stage face.
Mind you we could all stand still and dazzle people with virtuosity and play jizz oops jazz.

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1323516529' post='1464066']
Not a fan really as I've never been keen on the vocalist but Wire has a couple of decent riffs under his belt - the verse for 4st 7lb is definitely one of the them.
[/quote]

James Dean Bradfield and Sean Moore wrote all the music on that album :)

Quite liked the Manics first couple at the time, thought nothing special.

Totally loved (and still do) The Holy Bible. One of the best of the last 20 years. Some very nice bass playing on their too - some great lines which I still play around with!

Everything Must Go onwards - can't stand them, TBH! Dull MOR that does nothing for me at all.

Just my take, there's no band that can be liked by all. I know there's some fans that only like the band post-THB!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1323532081' post='1464291']
I like MSP, and think that Nicky Wires bass-playing is fine, as it doesn`t get in the way of the vocals and guitars. His stage-leaping, as mentioned, however, I think is rather daft.
[/quote]

Alex James from Blur has some interesting stage leaping going on, but at least plays some interesting lines.