Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

[quote]i've put a couple up ;) [/quote]

Good stuff Rasta !!!! ..... from the talkbasser with the googleydoodaa ! (.... sounds almost sexual! LOL!)

Seriously, it's dead easy to do and the more patches we put on there the bigger library we'll have.

From a previous post:

[i]If you're interested in sharing B3 patches (ie. uploading your own and downloading others to try out through "Zoom Edit and Share") then visit this Google Docs folder.....

[url="https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7b88q8uy5hYekRCUjV6R0J3SEU/edit?pli=1"]https://docs.google....3SEU/edit?pli=1[/url]

Download them into a folder on your computer then simply drag them into Edit and Share. They'll be loaded automatically into your B3.
You will need a Google log-in to access it.[/i]

Greg

Edited by OzzyGreg

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1352316826' post='1861612']
Ive been thinking about buying a B3, but i have a couple of questions:
[/quote]

[url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/downloads/b3/manual/"]http://www.zoom.co.jp/downloads/b3/manual/[/url]

Have a look at the manual. Probably the best way to answer all your questions.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1352453507' post='1863160']
[url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/downloads/b3/manual/"]http://www.zoom.co.j...oads/b3/manual/[/url]

Have a look at the manual. Probably the best way to answer all your questions.
[/quote]
Thanks for the link. Couldn't find anything about syncing up with other devices, so thats probably a good indication that it cant. Theres does seam to be a comb and a formant filter, but the formant seams to be modulated.

Bad news for me, the first screen has line across the top and is a bit faded. Buyed at the end of may no gigs, just a couple of reharsals most of the use was in home for study using the oficial power supply. Gonna call tomorrow to the shop where i buyed...

Edited by elhambre

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1352537509' post='1864273']
Thanks for the link. Couldn't find anything about syncing up with other devices, so thats probably a good indication that it cant. Theres does seam to be a comb and a formant filter, but the formant seams to be modulated.
[/quote]

Having a poke around over the weekend you can't sync to other devices.
But then, the B3 only costs £150 so I wouldn't expect it to be the be all and end all of mulit-FX units.

Message back from zoom about clipping the inout of the B3:

[quote]

[i][font="Arial"][size="2"]Dear Dan,[/size][/font][/i]

[i][font="Arial"][size="2"]Thank you for your reply.[/size][/font][/i]

[i][font="Arial"][size="2"]We consulted to our engineer for the B3. The B3 can't fix with firmware about the input volume. It needs to improve the hardware for hardware limitation. Therefore, please connect the preamp or volume pedal before the G3 if possible.[/size][/font][/i]

[size=1][font=Arial,][size="2"]We hope you will understand the situation.[/size][/font][/size][color=#500050]

[font="Arial"][size="2"]Sincerely yours,[/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]ZOOM CORPORATION[/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]===================[/size][/font][/color]

[/quote]

So essentially, they suggest using a volume pedal or additional preamp to attenuate the input. Not ideal, but do-able. Even a simple passive volume pot in a box I reckon!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1352733400' post='1866675']
In all fairness dood... you're basses do have a VERY hot output :lol:
[/quote]

Guilty as charged your honour!! - But, in my defense, they are just a standard 18V EMG pickup and preamp combination, so I guess others could suffer the same if they push the EQ gains a bit.

• 2 months later...

I dropped Zoom an email to ask when we can expect to see an upgrade to six simultaneous FX as per the G3 and got this:

[size=3]Thank you for your inquiry.[/size]

[size=3]There is not the plan to release such firmware for the B3 to be able to use six effecters simultaneously right now.[/size]
[size=3]Anyway, we will forward your email to person in charge for future reference as your request.[/size]
[size=3]We look forward to your continued business in the future.[/size]

[size=3]Sincerely yours,[/size]
[size=3]ZOOM Corporation <<[/size]

[size=4]So it looks like there is not the plan to release the firmware right now. :huh:[/size]

Edited by discreet

I really don't get why they won't do it, either:

-They don't want to, because for some reason we're not as important as those pesky guitarists, or they don't understand why it would be good for us

OR

-They can't, because for some reason the B3's hardware isn't capable of it, which means we're sold what is an inferior product at the same price (although not having this upgrade kind of makes it inferior in the first place)

Maybe I'm being too mean, or I've not had enough caffeine this morning, but I really fail to understand this.

[quote name='Thatguy59' timestamp='1359459655' post='1954969']
I really don't get why they won't do it, either:

-They don't want to, because for some reason we're not as important as those pesky guitarists, or they don't understand why it would be good for us

OR

-They can't, because for some reason the B3's hardware isn't capable of it, which means we're sold what is an inferior product at the same price (although not having this upgrade kind of makes it inferior in the first place)

Maybe I'm being too mean, or I've not had enough caffeine this morning, but I really fail to understand this.
[/quote]

More likely they don't think theres enough demand for an upgrade to justify the effort involved. If they thought it would impact sales to any great extent, they've have done it already. They've probably priorised their development resource to releasing a B-something-else :lol: .

[quote name='Thatguy59' timestamp='1359459655' post='1954969']
[/quote]

It's possible that the B3's hardware isn't capable of running 6 effects simultaneously, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's inferior hardware to the G3. There's a note in the manual that the bass amp models are very processing intensive, and the same might be true of quite a few of the effects. It might be that the chip is perfectly capable of 6 lots of signal-processing where the guitar effects are concerned (mainly eq / clipping / modulation) but many of the bass effects (eg. synths / compression) are just too processor heavy to pull it off without noticeable latency.

Simply playing devil's advocate here. Recently bought a B3 myself, and I'd love to be able to set up 6 effects to a patch.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1359466695' post='1955122']
It's possible that the B3's hardware isn't capable of running 6 effects simultaneously, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's inferior hardware to the G3. There's a note in the manual that the bass amp models are very processing intensive, and the same might be true of quite a few of the effects. It might be that the chip is perfectly capable of 6 lots of signal-processing where the guitar effects are concerned (mainly eq / clipping / modulation) but many of the bass effects (eg. synths / compression) are just too processor heavy to pull it off without noticeable latency.

Simply playing devil's advocate here. Recently bought a B3 myself, and I'd love to be able to set up 6 effects to a patch.
[/quote]

The same note is in the G3 manual, so I'd guess that similar restrictions apply. I'm not sure how heavy a load each individual effect puts on it though of course, although if I remember correctly it was amp simulations that were they said would most likely be a problem.

Or could it be that with the B9.1s now selling for under £100 in GAK that Zoom are planning to announce a new, more expensive unit with 6 stompboxes instead of 3?

I love my B3 but when I use it alone two of my 3 patches are compressor and preamp, leaving me only one slot free. its not easy to switch between patches either so I would welcome a version with more slots, although 6 might be overkill!

[Quote]I love my B3 but when I use it alone two of my 3 patches are compressor and preamp, leaving me only one slot free. its not easy to switch between patches either so I would welcome a version with more slots, although 6 might be overkill! [/Quote]

Firstly, I suggest (if you haven't already), download and use "Zoom Edit & Share" for all patch work. It makes things so much easier to set up.

If you use it live, set the patches up in the order required for your setlist. You have a LOT of capacity for doing this.
You can copy them (if you need the same patch in different songs).

[Quote][size=4]So it looks like there is not the plan to release the firmware right now. :huh: [/Quote][/size]

[size=4]I read somewhere on another forum that the reason is that the unit's hardware isn't capable of a 6 effects at once firmware update.[/size]
[size=4]This info came apparently from Zoom.[/size]

[size=4]I suspect there's a new B3 (B6?) in the pipeline.[/size]

Hi guys, just wondered if anyone could suggest a good valvey grit/breakup/od sort of sound, that doesn't colour the tone too much? Really happy with the B3 overall, but I'm just struggling to find this sound (which I use all the time). I currently run through the dirty channel of my MXR M80, but to my ears the one on the B3 doesnt sound much like the real thing. I'm trying to set the B3 up so that I don't need my other pedals if at all possible.

Try some of the OD/Distortion/Fuzz patches here: [url="http://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7b88q8uy5hYMFJUem5nUDNyMkk/edit?usp=sharing"]http://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7b88q8uy5hYMFJUem5nUDNyMkk/edit?usp=sharing[/url]

[i](You'll need Zoom Edit & Share installed to be able to download them and load them into your B3.)[/i]

[quote name='OzzyGreg' timestamp='1360702532' post='1975150']

Try some of the OD/Distortion/Fuzz patches here: [url="http://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7b88q8uy5hYMFJUem5nUDNyMkk/edit?usp=sharing"]http://docs.google.c...dit?usp=sharing[/url]

[i](You'll need Zoom Edit & Share installed to be able to download them and load them into your B3.)[/i]
[/quote]

Thanks for that Greg, having a bit of trouble with my computer at the moment though so i cant install the software. After playing around a bit more, I think I've found some sounds I'm happy with, ironically back with the MXR! You just can't set it up like you would with the real thing and expect to get the same sound. It's very useful that you can turn the "colour" off on the distortion channel too, which is something you can't do on the real thing. I've got one set up for a little grit, one for a more balls-out OD, and I'm using the Flip-top model for when I want more of a vintage/old school vibe. Apart from that, just using the Multicomp and looking for some reasons to indulge in some of the more modulation/filter/synth type effects.

After practice last night, I can quite easily see that the B3 could replace my pedal board!

If anybody is still having trouble with hiss with the Zoom B3 while sharing a power supply with other pedals, I got a Diago Isolator Adaptor today and it's sorted it right out! I was a bit worried that it wouldn't supply enough current (I think they advertise it as 110mA) but no problems here! They cost about £20 which is half as much as the GigRig Virtual Battery!

It has a right angled DC output which just about fits, but I wasn't 100% confident it wouldnt move and come out, so i got a PS07 adaptor for another £5. Looks like this

[Quote]Has anyone had any trouble with the recording software that comes with the b3?
I can't get mine to work.[/Quote]

Yeah, I tried and gave up on Cubase.
I ended up getting a copy of Sony's Acid Pro 7.0.
It's a lot easier to set up and use.

Edited by OzzyGreg