Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

[Quote]Will any of those patches work on a zoom b2.1u ?.

ps: duuh what are patches [/Quote]

I don't [i]think[/i] they will work with the B2.1u, but I could be wrong.

Patches are grouped effects.

So, for example, you might have a chorus, overdrive, then SVT amp all in a row on your B3 (combining to produce a sound).
That collection of effects is called a patch.

Your next patch might combine tremelo, flanger and a spring reverb.

etc.

Greg

[quote name='OzzyGreg' timestamp='1351495421' post='1851679']
I don't [i]think[/i] they will work with the B2.1u, but I could be wrong.

Patches are grouped effects.

So, for example, you might have a chorus, overdrive, then SVT amp all in a row on your B3 (combining to produce a sound).
That collection of effects is called a patch.

Your next patch might combine tremelo, flanger and a spring reverb.

etc.

Greg
[/quote]

So they are switch or button settings ? ie: Switch set to [i]Low Pass [/i]then Knob-1 on #3, knob-2 on #5, Knob-3 on #6. etc ?

. [Quote] So they are switch or button settings ? ie: Switch set to Low Pass then Knob-1 on #3, knob-2 on #5, Knob-3 on #6. etc ? [/Quote]

Sorry man, I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

The B3 has three display screens. Whatever is displayed in those three screens at any one time is a patch.
The first screen might have a distortion loaded into it. (This effect is switchable off and on with the footswitch.)
The second may have a reverb, once again switchable off and on.
The third maybe an amp sim.
You click and hold the lhs footswitch and a fresh set of 3 screens are displayed.... the next patch.

Greg

Edited by OzzyGreg

I played a gig on Saturday with my B3 again. Just brilliant. What makes me chuckle is that even if you were to just leave the pedal on your three favourite pedal effects and never change them, you *still* have three great sounding effects in one box that is cheaper than those three pedals available separately. Mostly for the weekend's gig I used a chorus, the great tracking Octaver and either a bit of Big Muff dirt and that was enough along with my 'preamp' set up. I think for the money, everyone should have one as a 'swiss army knife' of effects.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1351687679' post='1854136']
I played a gig on Saturday with my B3 again. Just brilliant. What makes me chuckle is that even if you were to just leave the pedal on your three favourite pedal effects and never change them, you *still* have three great sounding effects in one box that is cheaper than those three pedals available separately. Mostly for the weekend's gig I used a chorus, the great tracking Octaver and either a bit of Big Muff dirt and that was enough along with my 'preamp' set up. I think for the money, everyone should have one as a 'swiss army knife' of effects.
[/quote]

I've got a couple of gigs coming up and I'm leaving my pedalboard at home and just taking my Zoom B3. It occured to me last week I hadn't stepped on the other pedals for weeks.
My idea for buying the B3 was to see if other types of FX would be of any use in my band. If they were I'd buy a dedicated pedal.
But I seem to have gone in the opposite direction!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1351691114' post='1854216']
did you manage to stop it clipping Dood?
[/quote]

There doesn't appear to be an over all input gain unfortunately, so what I had to do is use an EQ pedal with my normal boosts and cuts on it, but pull back the level control a notch more to bring the level down so it wouldn't clip the B3. Interestingly, my bass won't clip the EQ or LS-2 as easily as the B3. It's a little bit of a pain until I can find a fix - I don't really want to have to have the EQ limited to it's uses. I might ping zoom a message in the hope there's some help to be had.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1351692927' post='1854257']
would you not just turn down the output on your bass? I'm not sure of your signal chain but it would be the obvious solution
[/quote]

Yes, but live I do a fair amount of swells and volume control stuff so it'd annoy me setting the volume at 70% and then knocking it up or down - I prefer the control to be full on all the time. I guess the other option is to install an attenuator in both basses, but it's not the bass that is at fault as none of my other pedals suffer. Would rather fix at source I feel.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1351693799' post='1854273']
Why not have a small, switchable, attenuator pedal made?
[/quote]

That's a very good idea actually - I could build one in to one of those small pedal boxes. I think I'd get away with a passive version too as it would be sat between to active devices. I'd guess a pair of jacks and something like a 25k Log pot in a box would work fine. I'd not even worry about the switch.

Food for thought!

[Quote]There doesn't appear to be an over all input gain unfortunately[/Quote]

Have a look in the 'Total" menu. I seem to recall seeing what may be (maybe not too!) input gain control of some sort in (if memory serves) the rhs screen.
I'm at work and can't check it for you on my own B3 at the moment.

Greg

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1351697675' post='1854341']
Could you not just put that pot inside the B3 then? Maybe if they release the software update for it that will contain an input gain control.
[/quote]

Also a possibility!

[quote name='OzzyGreg' timestamp='1351709982' post='1854513']
Have a look in the 'Total" menu. I seem to recall seeing what may be (maybe not too!) input gain control of some sort in (if memory serves) the rhs screen.
I'm at work and can't check it for you on my own B3 at the moment.

Greg
[/quote]

Unless I have missed it twice, lol!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1351843949' post='1856008']
if you assigned the expression pedal input to input gain (and you didn't need it for something else) you could have a pot wired to that jack, or even just a resistor to fix it at a certain value.
[/quote]

I'd thought about that, but some very nice BC chap sold a nice shiny B3 expression pedal to me recently :)

Ive been thinking about buying a B3, but i have a couple of questions:
Are B3's able to sync tempo to other devices somehow? maybe via the USB? cause otherwise i don't think id ever end up using the modulation on it, and it seams a bit off a waist buying a milti-pedal and then not being able to sync the modulation to my existing pedals (currently a looper and a delay, synced via a midi cable).
And then, what types of filter does it have? just LP/BP/HP or does it have like comb and format filters as well?
Lastly, what is the bitcrusher like? does it compare at all to dedicated bitcrusher pedals? I'm really just looking for samplerate and bitdepth, without a waveformer over the top of it.
cheers in advance.

I'm at work, so I don't have my B3 her to check for sure, but.....

I'm pretty sure the B3 is MIDI compatible, so I guess you can synch it to other devices. Though mind you I have never used MIDI before, so I'm not 100% sure about this.

Filters? Do a search in Google. There's a number of sites with all B3 effects listed. I know there's a few different filters in the Zoom including at least one comb filter.

Bitcrusher? Can't help you there, I've only ever skimmed over it when flicking through the effects. Not my cup of tea.

Not the extensive response I'm sure you were hoping for, but I hope it helps a bit anyway!

Greg

Edited by OzzyGreg