Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1366639526' post='2055266']
How do these compare to L6 pod for "tone suck"? Do they bypass pure?

Thanks B
[/quote]

They're not true bypass, but the change in tone is very minimal. One of the reasons I avoided multi units for so many years was because of the tone suck, but I ended up extremely happy with the Zoom :)

Anybody using theirs live? I've got mine on the board now for synth, envelope filters, etc. but haven't used it in anger yet. Next week will be the first! It already comes in very handy for home practice and recording and for silent rehearsals.

Ive just ordered one instead of going for a BDDI. Im pretty lazy when it comes to using FX, i like them but dont bother using them.
All i need it for is BDDI on all the time, and Chorus and maybe filtrer if and when its needed.
I have these as separate boxes at home but never take them to gigs as i dont really like wires :-)

Ill be using this on Sat so wont have much time to play around with it, so i have a question. I use a passive P bass and a radio system (see, no wires) so is it better to set the input of the B3 for active or passive? In the past ive found using the passive input on bass heads works ok but i dont want to start clipping the input. Is there an input level indication?

Cheers.

Can I just chip in as well and ask if it will go wob-wob-wob-wob-wob to the same slightly crappy level as my behringer synth pedal?
Cos if it does, i might just have to get one. I could do with a decent DI, and some other bits, and getting this and offloading my other pedals seems the cheapest option.

Please answer the other Dave's question first, as he asked first.
:)

Mine just turned up. A day late so that leaves me just 24 hours to sort it out before the next gig. Im working all day but ive just hooked it up to my PC and im very impressed with how easy it is to use.
Ive already set a generic gigging patch up with the effects i plan on using, although ive yet to actually play through it lol. Luckily tomorrows gig will have a sound check so ill get to tweak it with my rig.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1367422300' post='2065460']
Can I just chip in as well and ask if it will go wob-wob-wob-wob-wob to the same slightly crappy level as my behringer synth pedal?

[/quote]

I've got an expression pedal on the way so I'll let you know!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1367569621' post='2066927']
Mine just turned up. A day late so that leaves me just 24 hours to sort it out before the next gig. Im working all day but ive just hooked it up to my PC and im very impressed with how easy it is to use.
Ive already set a generic gigging patch up with the effects i plan on using, although ive yet to actually play through it lol. Luckily tomorrows gig will have a sound check so ill get to tweak it with my rig.
[/quote]

I've had mine for about a year and I'm only gigging it for the first time tomorrow as well. I'll be using it mostly for synth, chorus and filters but I have a couple of song-specific patches too. Good luck! :)

Does anybody here use Edit & Share?

Cheers Joe. It seems so simple im sure nothing can go wrong :ph34r:

So far the Edit & Share program is all that ive used. Its pretty simple to use and a bit easier to see everything at a glance. I cant seem to find any way to adjust the total settings etc, just at patch level.
I also cant seem to see anything on line using it. Maybe there are no online patches for this device

I've found it very handy for creating and editing patches but, like you say, 'Sharing' seems to be a bit sparse! I'll see if I can find a way to upload patches and maybe we can start a little Basschat B3 patch-sharing community :drinks:

I think there was mention of this earlier on in the thread. I dont think it took off though.

There is a long patch thread on Talkbass, although it seems im in a very small minority that doesn't want any distortion or dirt in my tone.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1367579517' post='2067129']
I'm the same. I do use distortion, but not from the B3. I'm more interested in using it for cool/funky synth effects! B)
[/quote]

Yeah. Since getting it (still not played through it yet) ive been going over our set list and can see a huge potential for making a right old racket with this box.

Well not a great start. Ive plugged two basses in so far and both seem to be suffering from a grounding issue. Unless i touch the strings or bridge there is a buzz that doesn't happen when im not plugged in to the B3.
This is both using just USB to my PC and not connected to anything other than headphones.

No, thats just for the XLR. After a bit of playing around with it the buzz has gone for now. I love a few of the presets, most i have no use for but those that i do like im itching to use tomorrow.

Edited by dave_bass5

No worries.

Right, first gig out of the way and im very happy with it, but I seem to have a bit of a problem with the foot switches. The shoes i wear for gigs (we always suit up) are a bit wide and last night i found every time i tried to turn the chorus on without looking i would hit the filter as well. I got some funny looks from the band.

I mainly used the BDDI sim on its own most of the time. The chorus was nice but i'd programmed it a bit too heavy on the effect, and dont like bending down and fiddling during the set, so had to wait for the gaps to make adjustments. Not a big deal, its not an effect i normally use so it was just on and off when i felt it might work. Ill sort it out before the next gig. Same goes for the Filter.
Talking of which, im a bit disappointed with the ZTron effect. I have a mini Q-tron and that sounds a lot brighter than the B3 version (which in general i think the B3 is quite bright sounding). I just couldn't get a good top end out of it. I ended up using the Auto Filter instead.

I also found myself using the Smoothfun preset, as is. This gave me a nice, deep tone. Unusually for a wooden hollow stage i had no boom at all last night. I've not played this venue before so maybe the acoustics are just good anyway, but the tone was very tight in the low end. I had everything no the amp set flat and didnt need to adjust it at all last night.

Glad ive got it now and cant see me gigging without it.

[quote]Maybe there are no online patches for this device
[/quote]

[quote]I've found it very handy for creating and editing patches but, like you say, 'Sharing' seems to be a bit sparse! I'll see if I can find a way to upload patches and maybe we can start a little Basschat B3 patch-sharing community [/quote]

There's about [b]100 different Zoom B3 patches[/b] here in the [b][url="https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7b88q8uy5hYMFJUem5nUDNyMkk&usp=sharing"]Zoom B3 Patch Library[/url][/b] to download into Edit & Share and try out.

I set it up so that anyone can upload their own patches for others to use, so please, by all means ......

Edited by OzzyGreg