Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine Goes Left

Jondeeman

Just received Bass Guitar Magazine for December and noticed that it's gone back-to-front and most of the reviews are for left handed basses. I can't really understand why that would be... I mean, why go to the trouble? I'm not sure it does the bass manufacturers any justice - though they still score the same 4 to 4.5 stars.

Is this the sort of trite fiddling we're to expect from a new editor who's lacking in real ideas, or just political correctness gone mad!

I was more interested to note that the quality of paper in the mag was pretty poor.
Not what i signed up for.
That's probably down to environmentally acceptable paper that has been recycled - yuch !!!!

Whether it's left handed or not - does it really matter. Its the quality of the bass that's being discussed and that can't change because its left or right handed.
Can't say i really gave it that much thought.

Still to read the mag in detail. Have only just flicked through it to be honest. That's a job for a lazy Sunday afternoon while my wife watches a Sunday pm movie of some sort. - Mmmm

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1321783261' post='1442895']
I was more interested to note that the quality of paper in the mag was pretty poor.
Not what i signed up for.
That's probably down to environmentally acceptable paper that has been recycled - yuch !!!!
[/quote]
Not at all. There's plenty of good quality environmentally friendly and recycled paper available these days. Poor quality paper is all about cutting costs only, it has nothing to do with being environmentally responsible.

Doesn't bother me whether they review a left or right handed bass (the results should still be the same right?) provided that they're reviewing a bass that hasn't been reviewed previously but the other way round. Not sure if any of the Clovers or G&L has been covered before.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1321787001' post='1442932']
I seem to recall reading somewhere that one reason Hendrix preferred right-handed guitars was that he believed left-handed were less well made. I can't give a source for this however.
[/quote]

I started playing when I was 12. That was 1965, and I don't recall there being any lefty guitars at that time. Logically there must have been some of course - just not for oiks like me! With modern production methods it's much less of an issue (although you do still need to be prepared to pay over the odds for a good one, and the choice is still pretty appalling).

On a more general level, I would agree about there being more openly lefthanded people out there - today it's much less of an issue than it was when I was at school (although I do recall recent debates with other tutors on the subject, and being astonished at the lengths they would sometimes go to in order to justify a position that has it's origins in the Middle Ages!)

I still like to quote the case of the Fender JH Reissue and the Gibson JH Reissue:

About 12 or 13 years ago (could have been longer), Fender made a Hendrix reissue that was made for a right handed player, but with a left handed body and neck, and the headstock decals upside down and back-to-front. I'm pretty sure that apart from the detailing (and, of course, being strung upside down) it was a perfectly ordinary Am. Std... Price? Around £1350 at at time when the standard guitar could be had for around £800. Oh and it wasn't available to left handed players. :)

A few years later Gibson came out with a Hendrix reissue Flying V. Simply a mirror image of the one Hendrix used, and with the usual premium due, IIRC, to it not being available as a stock instrument at the time. Again, not available to left handed players! :) :)

I haven't heard the QC issue story about the man himself, though I suspect he would have been more than a bit miffed at the appearance of these two gems.

Well you see everything went downhill after the June 2011 issue...

That's the June 2011 edition if you are looking to get a back issue...

And have an interest in SHUKER basses... In the....ahhhhh June issue...

This year.. Ummmmm... 2011...

I hear the person who did the piece was a pretty cool dude too...

;0)

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1321782574' post='1442887']
If you have to ask then you'll most likely never know.
[/quote]

I ask, because it makes no sense, unless...

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1321785356' post='1442912']
The new editor is left-handed - might explain something. . .
[/quote]

In which case, Mr. Cooper is also doing the majority of the reviews, and I can cope with this.

My feeling was that the "we review left-handed basses nowadays, aren't we cool and inclusive!" vibe that I got (and this is only my take on things) was a little weird; possibly some explanation may've helped.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1321791226' post='1443000']

;0)
[/quote]

Dood,

We're all up for another article. Sharpen your quill and get going... :)

;0)
[/quote]

Was that you ?
Wondered why it was intereseting and worth reading. I started to subscribe around then i think.
Could it have been down to your article - mmmmmmmmm
I wonder. :)

Dave

[/quote]

...and it was very absorbant as well.. :) :)

Hello everyone, I'm Ben the new Editor of Bass Guitar Magazine.

Not sure if I should resurrect this thread, or if I'm just asking for a kicking... :)

In answer to Jondeeman's query as to why all the lefty stuff, it was simply a case of logistics for that issue. I was in a position where I had to get some basses reviewed quickly, due to issues with the handover from my previous magazine and Bass Guitar Magazine (something I won't go in to here as it's lengthy and far too boring). It was just one of those times where things didn't run entirely smoothly and so I had to review a load of basses myself.

You'll find that from next issue this isn't the case, and that left handed basses will crop up in a more proportional manner from now on! I'm not about to go more niche and make it Left Hand Bass Guitar Magazine :)

Anyway, I hope that clears this up. It wasn't some kind of political correctness gone mad (sorry to sound like the Daily Mail), it was just out of necessity.

best

Ben

[quote name='bencooper' timestamp='1322145492' post='1447182']

Not sure if I should resurrect this thread, or if I'm just asking for a kicking... :)
[/quote]

Hi Ben :)
Don't worry about the kicking, most people here wear trainers, apart from the odd few who wear ballet slippers (which means I'm gonna get a kicking as well now|! :) )

I personally don't see a problem with reviewing LH instruments - the components are the same, the electronics are the same, the materials are the same, the sound is the same - the thing's just made backwards is all... :o

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1322146291' post='1447196']
Hi Ben :)
Don't worry about the kicking, most people here wear trainers, apart from the odd few who wear ballet slippers (which means I'm gonna get a kicking as well now|! :) )

I personally don't see a problem with reviewing LH instruments - the components are the same, the electronics are the same, the materials are the same, the sound is the same - the thing's just made backwards is all... :)
[/quote]

Hi icastle,

I agree (naturally, being a lefty) but I can see why some people were thinking "What?", given that left-hand instruments tend to get reviewed only in special features about left-handed basses/guitars etc.

I suppose I was more expecting the kicking, or slipper bashing, just by raising my head above the parapet as people might see it as a chance to...err...vent at the new Editor! Of course I'm happy to hear suggestions and ideas from people who read the magazine, but in my experience sometimes people can get a little heated during such exchanges.

When you start on a magazine and ask for feedback/suggestions it's a little bit like opening Pandora's box...just without the Hope left at the end :o

Ben

[quote name='bencooper' timestamp='1322145492' post='1447182']

In answer to Jondeeman's query as to why all the lefty stuff, it was simply a case of logistics for that issue. I was in a position where I had to get some basses reviewed quickly, due to issues with the handover from my previous magazine and Bass Guitar Magazine (something I won't go in to here as it's lengthy and far too boring). It was just one of those times where things didn't run entirely smoothly and so I had to review a load of basses myself.

You'll find that from next issue this isn't the case, and that left handed basses will crop up in a more proportional manner from now on! I'm not about to go more niche and make it Left Hand Bass Guitar Magazine :)

Anyway, I hope that clears this up. It wasn't some kind of political correctness gone mad (sorry to sound like the Daily Mail), it was just out of necessity.

best

Ben
[/quote]

Hello Ben, good of you to join us!

I was going to have a look at BGM but WH Shith still have last month's with Michael Anthony on the cover. When I used to buy the magazine regularly it usually hit the shelves around the 20th.

Also, do you have any plans to improve the quality of proofing the mag. I used to subscribe but the colossal amount of errors in the type and photos, even the music notation just put me right off. Almost all the reviews were 4 star too, and rather bland. Nick improved things a bit but there's still lots of room for maneouvre IMO.

Anyway, very best of luck with your new job. Cheers!

[quote name='bencooper' timestamp='1322148930' post='1447249']
I suppose I was more expecting the kicking, or slipper bashing, just by raising my head above the parapet as people might see it as a chance to...err...vent at the new Editor! Of course I'm happy to hear suggestions and ideas from people who read the magazine, but in my experience sometimes people can get a little heated during such exchanges.
[/quote]

People are generally quite positive here on BC, ask them what they'd like to see and you'll probably end up with enough editorial content for the next six issues and a whole raft of potential improvements you could make. :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1322148993' post='1447250']
Hello Ben, good of you to join us!

I was going to have a look at BGM but WH Shith still have last month's with Michael Anthony on the cover. When I used to buy the magazine regularly it usually hit the shelves around the 20th.

Also, do you have any plans to improve the quality of proofing the mag. I used to subscribe but the colossal amount of errors in the type and photos, even the music notation just put me right off. Almost all the reviews were 4 star too, and rather bland. Nick improved things a bit but there's still lots of room for maneouvre IMO.

Anyway, very best of luck with your new job. Cheers!
[/quote]

Hi Silddx,

Thanks for the kind words.

I will try my best to catch those proofing errors. In my experience most of those tend to be when last minute changes are made "on screen" to something. I know how frustrating they can be, and they do leap out at you when you're a reader. The only thing I'd say in the magazine's defence is that I've yet to see a magazine that doesn't contain typos, layout errors etc. Not that this is an excuse, just that they do happen - but I'll see what can be done about tightening things up.

As for the reviews, well you probably better not look at the star ratings in this issue...but what I will say is that I won't give out 4 stars and 5 stars to just good-enough basses - and I think that in this issue all the product deserved their respective ratings. As for blandness, do you mean they weren't critical enough, or that the writing wasn't lively enough?

Glad to hear from you!

best

Ben

Good to see you here Ben, that took some guts to post originally but as has been said we're mostly a bunch of pussy cats really. I'm going to put in my long standing request for an article on Bruce Thomas again now (don't ask, don't get, etc) in the hope you might look at the possibility of doing this :) I still read the mag every month (subscribed) and with the odd exception normally find something of interest, those exceptions being when an issue is very genre specific right down to gear reviews. Why not give BC a big shout out in the next issue so we can swell the ranks here?