Why become a member? ×

The Story So Far...

Breakfast

Played Bass for about 28 years, and still consider myself to be average ! Had a brief association with HWOBHM band Witchfynde years ago. Played in loads of Club - Function Bands.
Gets very irritated when told "the bass is to loud, turn it down" And normally manages to control the GAS, except when I do get GAS its major. Have a Shuker 6 Headless on order at the moment, and also just about to buy a EBMM Stingray.

Just left a Beautiful South Tribute band after deciding I really needed to play some proper music, and just about to set up a Rock three piece outfit.

Work as a Quality Engineer in the Automotive Industry and spend a fair bit of time at Jaguar,Honda and Land Rover.
Married to a wonderful Brazilian woman I met when I lived in Brazil, and on the whole, things couldn't be better. Except I could do with more dosh.

[b]rich[/b] [i]a.[/i] wealthy; fertile; abounding; valuable; containing much fat or sugar; mellow.

This definition came striaght from the Collins' dictionary. Delete "wealthy, "fertile", "valuable" and "mellow" and it's pretty much on the nail.

An alternative definition:
42-year-old currently living on the fringes of Zoider Country south-west of Bristle, but originally hailing from Reading. Matrimonially, follically and volumetrically challenged (i.e. divoced, bald and 'stout').
First started playing bass in 1982 at school, as part of the obligatory hey-let's-form-a-band awful 6th form rock band... bought first bass (1964 Hofner Artist, still have it) from metalwork teacher for £20, and made very dodgy amplifier with substantial help from physics teacher... band proceeded to play Quo covers etc. very very badly for a while, until leaving school at which point mercifully the band splits.
Formed duo with guitarist from school band, practised lots of covers and some pretty good original stuff while trying (in vain, as it turned out) to get a drummer and keys player... meanwhile, discovered Level 42 and spent much time at home practising slap. Duo dies quietly, more of frustration than anything.
Eventually got an offer to form funk-ish band with guys from college. Rhythm section of said band then poached by local Wokingham music legend to form rock-pop band in search for fame. Said band plays many many gigs in London, attracting good sized following and much word of mouth and the attention of Island Records who are impressed by first demo and ask to hear more... inexplicably, drummer chooses this edge-of-stardom point to leave, and band does the big firework in the acrimony that follows. Much shock and distress.
Long time then spent wandering in a musical wilderness, until house move to Swindon prompts joining of local blues-rock band. Much fun had, although space-cadetness of guitarist does cause some frustration.
Following up music shop advert, attend audition for newly forming soul/r'n'b band... get the job, develop a set with band ironing out problems along the way, and finally play first gig. The Soul Destroyers are on their way... and so is yours truly, thanks to 2 years of overseas work meaning that further development of band is left to new bassist. Gutted.
After overseas work is done, join another blues-rock band, this time a 3-piece unit with a truly superb guitarist... again, much fun had, but frustration-free this time as band is tight as the proverbial duck's... after 3 great years of playing local pubs and garnering a good reputation, band sadly splits due to guitarist relocating to South coast [i](if anyone knows a brilliant gtrist & all-round nice bloke called Scott Humphries, please ask him to get in contact with me..!)[/i].
Following up music shop advert, join a jazz-fusion 3-piece in Bristol... lots of Mike Stern and John Scofield covers, great music... unfortunately, material proves too rocky for jazz venues and too jazzy for pubs so gigs are very hard to find. Band folds when drummer emigrates.
Meanwhile, a phone call leads to joining backing band for talented girly singer by the name of Mercia Clayton with a set of cracking original songs... play many gigs and record album, which sells 1000+ copies on CD-Wow.
In the meantime, receive call to rejoin Soul Destroyers... and that's where I still am.

Real name Greg. Been playing bass 30 years (began in Cambridge’s first punk band!), now in South Wales, started as I wanted to be mobbed by nubile groupies. Still waiting, goddammit.
Occasionally been known to work as a Cardiac Radiographer in between playing pubs and rugby clubs (In “Men behaving badly” the guy Martin Clunes suspects of sh@gging his girlfriend is a Radiographer so we’re obviously perceived as a glamorous lot). All of my basses and motorbikes are old and scruffy. Don’t like new and shiny.
What I wish I’d known back then – wear earplugs. Eh?

Steve_Nottm. Surprisingly turns out to be called Steve and from Nottingham.

Aged 34 (how did that happen?). Started off as a drummer aged 13, became a guitarist for a bit at uni, back to being a drummer for a bit, then took up Bass a couple of years ago. Wondered why I'd "wasted" so long on other instruments and realised that I'd i'd started on bass at 13 I'd probably be pretty good by now.

Currently in a couple of bands, but fame and fortune seem a long way off so earn my living as an accountant, dull dull dull.

Permanently in trouble with the wife for either buying more gear that "we" can't afford, or looking at gear that "we" can't afford.

OutToPlayJazz - The name of a rather good jazz band that's backed several big named dieties & since taking over the running of said band, the bass player has become known as OutToPlayJazz... Strange, but it's a bit of a misnomer, as the jazz work is thin on the ground & OTPJ is mainly playing rock/pop/funk with The_PHD at the moment...

The history... After starting as a cellist at age 8, took up the piano at age 11 & the double bass at 15. Wanted to play along to the Status Quo videos (with Alan Lancaster & his Kramers) and the Double Bass just didn't hack it... Went to buy first godawful bass guitar at the age of 16 & never looked back. Then John 'Rhino' Edwards joined quo, and bass suddenly looked a whole lot cooler (Sad man, or what??). The old black Jackson/Charvel copy had to go & a shiny new Hohner "The Jack" appeared, as a Status Series II was out of the question at the age of 17! But at 20 years old, OTPJ took out a huge loan to buy his first Status - Yes, a real one! History was in the making...

Cut to the present... OTPJ has a veritable arsenal of forever GAS-incurred basses, still plays the Double Bass, Cello, etc., professionally & is a keen exponent of transferring DB technique onto the bass guitar for stable technique & lithe speed!

Either that, or he's rather anally retentive! You decide :)

• 6 months later...

Reviving a long-dormant thread ...

Real name is ... you guessed, didn't you? I have a pretty serious grown-up sort of job where meeting the expectations of others is crucial - so I have to be boring, reliable and very po-faced.

Happy Jack is my [i]alter ego[/i] on various music and motorbike forums/websites, and is the real "me".

Hijacked my teenage daughter's unplayed bass two years ago and started learning, as part of my carefully-designed midlife crisis, and have become steadily more obsessive about playing and improving.

Realised early on that I loved vintage basses and that some represented good investments. Now have an extensive collection of vintage Hofners (1958-71). Collecting basses is easy - it just takes money. Playing them requires talent.

I don't usually wear a tux on stage. It was Xmas.

I live just down the road from CrazyKiwi's converted power station but I haven't seen him in Carluccio's yet.

s_u_y_* is the moniker of shut_up_you_*** (On Ultimate-Guitar and Warwick.de), has been playing for 6 years, and is the bassist for the Jamie West Band. In January 2007, s_u_y_* spiralled into a terrible and deep GASolism, one from which he did not recover until January 2008. With his year of madness behind him, s_u_y_* is looking forward to more success with the Jamie West Band (last year did a successful Austrian Tour and recently won the UCL Battle of the Bands), along with a few other side projects (with whom he is being paid in food).

Edited by s_u_y_*

Real name - Joe (bet that surprised you all, eh?)

Age - 18

Occupation - Student/Customer Assistant at the UK's favourite supermarket

Started off playing bass at Christmas '02 at the tender age of 13, because his dad decided that his new schoolmates needed a bass player. Started playing drums a month later, and guitar a couple of months after that. Continues to play all three with varying degrees of success, but is improving all the time. Possibly. Was the bass player for prog band Acta Non Verba, however, due to personal differences such as the guitarist being an arsehole now appears to be band-less, as far as bass is concerned. Also plays drums for ska/pop/punk/cheese band Used Inc, with whom he may be coming to a pub near you in the summer depending on whether or not the tour is arranged before Reading festival tickets go on sale. Has a very eclectic taste in music. Loves Fall Out Boy and Godspeed You! Black Emperor in equal measure.

AKA Jon, who is currently bemused at failing to notice this thread nearly a year ago, and reeling violently towards shock-induced panic at the realisation that come May of this year, he will have been attempting to play the Electric Bass Guitar for thirty years.

A self-proclaimed "depressed optimist" Jon shows disturbing signs of compulsive behavioural archetypes, which manifest themselves in a number of ways, most of which are unsuitable for discussion on a family-friendly forum. One particular trait is his voracious hoarding of what he mock-disparagingly describes as JapCrap - a class of musical instruments ordinarily manufactured in Japan in the 1970s and 1980s, Jon seems to feel he has some kind of mission to preach the questionable "virtues" of these instruments, a role he performs with a near-religious manic fervour.

The BC community tolerates this eccentricity in the sort of way a kindly passer-by might tolerate a gin-soaked tramp, reeking of stale piss & vomit, trying pathetically to sing and dance in the hope of being tossed enough loose change for a fresh bottle of white spirit.

Jon is a founder member and co-composer in Maya29, an original rock/prog/metal/goth/covers/occasional Rush tribute/freeform jazz band, his roles being bassist/backing vocals, recording/mixing/mastering engineer, artwork & website designer. Maya29 have played numerous gigs in the UK, Ireland & Europe over the past 7 or so years, and not one single band member, past or present, has ever got laid as a result.

Jon is looking forward to a secure future as a drunken, piss-soaked tramp, shouting at disgusted passers-by, because he cannot dance.

J.

[u][b]BassNinja: [/b][/u]

Embarassed folkie.

Lover of unusual jam-rock bands, often with a beard ratio of over 50%.

Used to manage up to 255 a year, but now bumping along around 75.

Snuggly '73 Precision (mods: Badass II, P/J EMGs), Elegant '91 Thumb V through-neck. Various amplification, all of it thoroughly unreliable.

Works in psychiatric intensive care. 'Nuff said.

• 14 years later...

Inspired by @niceguyhomerpost that was recently resurrected in to Zombie Thread status, I'm responding to this post simply because it was the oldest post I could find on BassChat. Childish I know, but I wonder what Basschatters will say looking back on their own posts in 2007!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dood said:

Inspired by @niceguyhomerpost that was recently resurrected in to Zombie Thread status, I'm responding to this post simply because it was the oldest post I could find on BassChat. Childish I know, but I wonder what Basschatters will say looking back on their own posts in 2007!

One for Time Team, I think

• Haha 1

My 2007 find was my first post made when browsing basschat in my lunch break and a colleague spotted this from all the way across a f ucking huge room and came across to say “do you play bass?

He was, predictably, a guitard, and given time, I almost converted him to the righteous path 

Edited by Geek99