Why become a member? ×

Tony Butler Signature Bass - Vintage V4MTB

TransistorBassMan

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1325288201' post='1481917']
I absolutely hate signature guitars. Its only a sales gimmick for dummies who think that by buying a sig bass will make them play like the person its named after.

Funny old world
[/quote]

I think you will find that the people on here that own a Mike Dirnt sig P bass, including myself now, would disagree with you 100% on this. The TB bass looks good value for money. I have used the Wilkindon hardware on several basses and it`s really good gear. Their guitars always get a good write up as well.

Jez

Was never a huge fan of Big Country to be honest until i went to see David Bowie at Sunderland and Big Country supporting blew him off the stage.
I had never been so impressed by any other band live. The energy from that band has stuck with me ever since.
Unbelievable is the only way to describe. Far better live than on any studio album IMO.
Not sure about the bass though. I remember the Aria's being used. Occasional Precision but not a regular showing ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I also remember Arias being used and P later, worn high, to allow T ( described in a review as" beefy black bassman")to dance about more! I'm not fan of sig models , but I am a sucker for the black / maple combo , and I do like T( my wife likes gin, though).

I absolutely hate signature guitars. Its only a sales gimmick for dummies who think that by buying a sig bass will make them play like the person its named after.
[/quote]

Well this dummy is looking forward to the arrival of his Geddy Lee jazz bass! :rolleyes: :D

Funny old world
[/quote]

Hmmm, not sure I agree with this. Geddy Lee Jazz's seem to sell themselves on reputation these days. I mean, having tried one, I'd love one (in sunburst particularly), but I don't listen to Rush so it being a signature is not a factor in my decision.

Buying almost any bass means you are buying something a big name player uses, but buying a sig version is normally because of the way its been customised.
The way i look at sig basses is just that they have something different from the usual line, that may or may not be an improvement. My Duck Dunn was a fantastic find as i wanted a P with a blocked Jazz neck and this fitted the bill, i didnt care whose name was on it. Same with my DJ5 (in fact i had to look him up)

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1330589540' post='1559705']

Does make you wonder if he gets a Rick or something more exotic out when he gets home?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mokuQHLMlM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mokuQHLMlM[/url]

• 1 month later...

I was looking around for a maple board P copy - I already have a Vintage V4 with rosewood, and like that one very much so they were my first port of call. Originally I was about to pull the trigger on their Vintage White with Maple, and then they released the Tony Butler version: black on black, with maple board - perfect for me. Mind you there's also something very nice about that vintage white finish.

When I first got it, the strings were too high at the nut, so popped it into my local guitar shop (Old School Guitars in Newhaven, great people) and now it's a dream to play. Very well made overall, beautiful to look at, delightful punchy sound - and I really like the difference to a Rosewood board. Gonna use it at a gig on Friday, and am looking forward to it.

Just thought I'd say....

Cheers

Geoff

Funny old world
[/quote]
This is ridiculous. If that's the only reason you can think of that someone would buy a signature bass then you're hanging aorund with some very sad people and missing some great basses.

As already mentioned, the Geddy Lee Jazz is an excellent example of a great and good value bass.

The recently renamed Laklands Glaub, Osborne, and Dunn and their discontinued Scheff were and are all excellent basses.

The Fender Tony Franklin Fretless Precision is a fantastic fretless even if, like me, you've never knowingly heard or even heard of Tony Franklin.

Funny old world.

I recently bought an Ibanez Gary Willis signature bass. Now whilst I appreciate what Mr Willis can do, it leaves me cold and I left his main stage appearance at last year's LBGS after about 7 minutes. However, this didnt stop me trying the Ibby this year and finding that it was just the right addition to my limited stable of basses. I'll never sound like GW, nor do I wish to, but it doesn't stop me liking the bass immensely. It's a good instrument in its own right.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1320248400' post='1424346']
I wish it did, and maybe some tips from Tony on how to get the best from it. He is the master of using chorus.
[/quote]totally agree,saw them live whitley bay ice rink 1985 fantastic
but not as fantastic as your depeche mode quote on your heading......to finish it off, "your breathing in fumes,i taste when we kiss " ha ha class
martin gore one of the most underated songwriters of ALL TIME

saw the mode crystal palace 1993 songs of faith and devotion tour brilliant

side note on the tony butler bass, i got the vintage ejm96 jazz bass,and for the monwy it totally blows away a mexican fender jazz

[u][attachment=106986:DSCN4071.JPG]hiho[/u] Vintage v4.
I have a heavily modified v4
I emailed vintage enquiring if they were ever going to do a maple neck and they said at the time they had no plans to do it.
I made my own using a maple neck off a vintage musicman copy which fits straight in and the bonus of an extra fret.
Wizard thumper pick up ,high mass bridge,schaller tuners,new pots and jack.
Total build including the bass-£132= bargain.
Sounds amazing,plays a dream.
Great bass to gig ,stays in tune.Great range of tones using the volume and tone.
As standard it wasn,t shabby by any means and I did gig it but the modder in me got the better of me.I would have done these mods to a F apart from the neck if it was maple to start with.
For the price a cracking bass worth checking out.

[quote name='blooterheed' timestamp='1336159411' post='1642025']
totally agree,saw them live whitley bay ice rink 1985 fantastic
but not as fantastic as your depeche mode quote on your heading......to finish it off, "your breathing in fumes,i taste when we kiss " ha ha class
martin gore one of the most underated songwriters of ALL TIME
[/quote]

I saw them at the 02 Newcastle. Good show, crap venue and full of idiots but I still had a good time. I'd have rather been at the Whitley Bay ice rink though. And yes, Martin Gore is the man.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1336206883' post='1642397']
I emailed vintage enquiring if they were ever going to do a maple neck and they said at the time they had no plans to do it.
I made my own using a maple neck off a vintage musicman copy which fits straight in and the bonus of an extra fret.
Great bass to gig ,stays in tune.Great range of tones using the volume and tone.
As standard it wasn,t shabby by any means and I did gig it but the modder in me got the better of me.I would have done these mods to a F apart from the neck if it was maple to start with.
[/quote]

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1336206883' post='1642397']
[/quote]

I love what you've done with this bass.... Superb

Thank you,hookys6stringbass.
My hunch that they would machine the necks and neck pockets all the same to save time and money on set up time in the factory was correct.
I played a gig last night and the guys in the band said They wished I,d played Bassmachine signature vintage cause it sounds so good.I played a musicman last night so there you go.
Can I call it my own signature ? :lol:
Anyway if you fancy doing a maple neck on the cheap or just fancy the look,get a vintage maple neck off the musicman copy and it just plops straight in.
You do need to redrill pilot holes for the screws but a 3mm drill does the job and remember to mark your drill with a magic marker so you do not drill through the neck.Mark the drill the same length as the neck screws and jobs a good one.
I,m not endorsed by vintage in any way but for the price they are good enough to gig with .
Oh I forgot to say the neck has an extra fret but I caught the extra length with the saddles on the bridge I fitted apart from that.
I quiet fancy a black scratchplate but thats just me.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1336230382' post='1642868']
I saw them at the 02 Newcastle. Good show, crap venue and full of idiots but I still had a good time. I'd have rather been at the Whitley Bay ice rink though. And yes, Martin Gore is the man.
[/quote]
the 02 is crap at newcastle ,saw metallica death magnetic tour 2009,great show but sh*t atmosphere
that 85 gig at whitle bay rate as one of my top gigs..

1993 RATM mayfair newcastle.... and the mode at palaec 93 stand out ,but that was a great year !
martin gore the master

• 1 month later...

I bought a white V4 recently at the JHS trade show, I tried to buy the Butler model because I porefered the colour but they didn't have one in stock on site. The white one is exactly the same but a different colour. Incidently they were both exactly the same price trade. :-| anyway I am more than happy witht he white one it plays as well as any other P bass I have owned and I have had a fair few. Certainly better than most squiers I have played and a darn sight better than my old precision Lyte. The wilkinson pickup is ok although not fantastic. However for 133 quid plus vat it was well worth the punt