Why become a member? ×

Forum Update Bugs 'n' Glitches

Kiwi

Bit of a strange one maybe; when I click on 'view new content' very often I get Members instead. I definitely get it every time I come from the message page. I know the Members buton is above the 'view new content' & I certainly click within the correct box. Happens on both my PC & laptop the same.

Don't think I've seen this mentioned before, apologies if it's already known about.

Cheerz, John

Couple of things...

pdf file uploads are now broken. The show as '.ipb' files (for example see the Major's lessons in the Theory forum). Downloading and renaming seems to be the workaround so the files have not been corrupted at least.

As others have said the speed is disappointing. I'm going to suggest that it looks like a vast increase in Ajax/Web 2.0 (i.e. javascript). Some things like editing an existing post are tortuous. I have found that closing the browser and trying again from scratch can often speed it up but that's not really very good.

Apart from looking prettier, I'm struggling to detect any improvement in functionality....

Meant to add: I don't use Windows at all so this is on about five different OSX and Ubuntu machines all with the latest versions of everything and using a mix of Chrome and Firefox.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='Crazykiwi' timestamp='1318276336' post='1400048']
OK there appears to be a common theme to many of the issues being reported. Some people are ok, others aren't and yet some have noticed different results on different machines running different levels of updated software.

Could I suggest that everyone who have experienced browsing issues checks that all their web browsing software and windows updates are current? At minimum that would include macromedia, flash, java, windows updates and the latest versions of their browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc.).

Log here if you have do that [u]and[/u] notice an improvement after a particular update, it might help us identify which one is causing issues.
[/quote]

Steve, I know NOTHING about computers so please ignore if this is daft. I've just logged on to BC at work. It is extremely slow and as non-functional as at home. As I'm having the same problems at four different computers and three servers, I can't see it's a problem my end. It occured to me that as it seems to be impacting on some members and not others, and doing so consistently, might the problem be related to the profiles of those members on BC? Rather than run an audit of member's hardware, it might be a good idea to start your end and look at any consistencies across the members who are constantly having problems?

Apologies to the IT experts who are probabaly either yawning or laughing now!

C

Hi Chris probably little you can do about the work computer if it hasn't been updated. However if you have windows 7 installed at home you can download a driver update utility here:

[url="http://driver-pro.com/related/english/windows-7-updates/?a=7"]http://driver-pro.com/related/english/windows-7-updates/?a=7[/url]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' timestamp='1318320774' post='1400351']
Hi Chris probably little you can do about the work computer if it hasn't been updated. However if you have windows 7 installed at home you can download a driver update utility here:

[url="http://driver-pro.com/related/english/windows-7-updates/?a=7"]http://driver-pro.co...-7-updates/?a=7[/url]
[/quote]
Hi CK

It's running OK for me at the moment, but whenever I've had slow spells (as in BC, not me :) ), it's always been the result of waiting for the server to respond - nothing local.

Of course everyone should ensure they've got all the latest updates installed, and use something other than IE if possible...

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1318319435' post='1400333']

I know NOTHING about computers so please ignore if this is daft.
(insert text)
Apologies to the IT experts who are probabaly either yawning or laughing now!

[/quote]

Chris

I might steal that for my sig, or use it sometimes as a template for me when I'm posting about computormophones, latenancy, ethereal wet konnections and flushing my usb :)

If members are getting different results with different browsers it could have something to do with the add-ons or extensions you have loaded for that browser.

This is a testing tool for browser speed - close down all browser windows but one and run the test - You'll have to the test using each browser but it will let you know which is the fastest on your PC. [url="http://clients.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/run.action"]http://clients.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/run.action[/url]

It takes 5 minutes so have a tea break :)

FYI, here's a typical example of something that happens to me fairly frequently.

On this occasion, I opened the 'Bass Guitar' forum. Here's the timings:

ServerGotRequest: 11:38:29.451
ServerBeginResponse: 11:38:58.718

That's nearly 30 seconds waiting for a response from the server. A DB issue, perhaps?

I can live with it, though. :)

Works fine for me on both my home PC (Outdated Acer running XP and Firefox) and also my work laptop (Brand spanking new HP running IE9 through the schools proxy server) without problems. I do occasionally get huge delays of sometimes up to a few minutes, but that is due to my connection, as it happens on other sites.

Liam

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1318325891' post='1400469']
If members are getting different results with different browsers it could have something to do with the add-ons or extensions you have loaded for that browser.

This is a testing tool for browser speed - close down all browser windows but one and run the test - You'll have to the test using each browser but it will let you know which is the fastest on your PC. [url="http://clients.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/run.action"]http://clients.futur...eper/run.action[/url]

It takes 5 minutes so have a tea break :)
[/quote]

I got 273 - IE8, that's all :)

Edit: 20:04 tried my laptop - IE9 score of 1118, is that any good?

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='bfirsh' timestamp='1318357938' post='1401141']
Hi folks,

Sorry for being quiet - been in the States!

Current problems are entirely my fault, and I'll fill you in on the details. Before we launched the new version, I did some benchmarks and it ran at more or less the same speed as the last version. What I didn't foresee is how much more traffic the new site causes.

*snip*
[/quote]
Thank you for the update, O mysterious overlord! We can all stop whingeing now.... :)

Edited by wateroftyne

Different PC - Laptop running IE9 & I'm getting the same glitch, every time - if I'm in Messages - got to top of page & click on 'View new content' it takes me to Members, showing the latest new members. Click the VNC box again & it works fine.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1318331360' post='1400599']

I got 273 - IE8, that's all :)

Edit: 20:04 tried my laptop - IE9 score of 1118, is that any good?
[/quote]

With IE7 at work I scored 579
With Chrome at home I scored 7886

Chrome works much faster and better for me.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318330039' post='1400564']
OK I ran the tests.

What's a good score?
What should I be looking at regarding forum speed?
[/quote]

Depending on what the website is using - HTML/ Javascripts etc it will have an effect on how fast your browser can load the pages. Using those tests uses only sample HTML and scripts to 'score' your browsers ability to deal with these features. Basically the higher the score the better, but if the server is responding slower than your browser, then things slow down. If the browser can't cope with the speed of the server, again things slow down for the end user.

Chrome seems to consistantly outperform any edition of IE, and Firefox.