Why become a member? ×

Forum Update Bugs 'n' Glitches

Kiwi

Two things very much bugging me today:

1. This continued issue where links within the site automatically open in the same window rather than a new one as before. I was in the middle of a long a complicated reply to a thread when I clicked on an attached picture in the original post to see it better. It promptly open in the window I was typing in and a lost everything I'd typed so far...

2. Can something be done about the User Name Pop-ups? It seems to be that where ever I place my mouse pointer it's over a user name especially when clicking on a thread title, when the thread opens about half the time my mouse pointer is now over someone's user name which triggers the pop-up. Since Ben said that every time you see the orange "progress" graphic at the top of the page a new call to the server database is being made and all these extra calls are part of the reason why this version of the forum is slower than before I would have though that disabling the auto pop-ups would certainly help with the speed. If I want to find out about a particular user I am quite capable of clicking on their name. I don't see what benefit the auto-triggering of the pop-ups brings except to slow down the forum.

To open a link in a new window, I just click my centre mouse button, however the forum software uses a javascript to force links to open in a new window. If the javascript doesn't work, I'll have to ask Ben to look at that one.

User-name pop-ups - I'll see what members think about that, as it is quite useful.

Speed - Ben has ironed out the new software, and with double the server size/speed we're now faster than we have ever been. I'm assured by Ben (who has the graphs to prove it) that any remaining speed problems are almost certainly at the user's end.

Regarding opening links in a new window. It's not that it doesn't work. It's that it works in a different way to before. In the old version of the forum any link clicked opened up a new window (or tab if that's how your browser was set up). In the current version links leading outside the forum still open up in a new window/tab. However links within the Basschat forum including links to uploaded images open in the same window which didn't happen before.

That means that today I lost a lengthy but unfinished reply to a post because I forgot that now clicking on an uploaded attached image to see it full size open it in the window that I was just typing in. Another Basschat user has lost out on my reply because I can't be bothered at the moment to retype it again :-(

Regarding the pop-ups. Personally I can't see the point. What I would like is for their auto activation to be user selected. Therefore those that don't mind them can keep them and people like me who find that they are activating simply because the mouse pointer happens to be over a user name when the page loads can turn them off.

Regarding the speed. What I was trying to say was that in Ben's lengthy post a week or so ago about the issues with the forum he mentioned that a lot of the speed issues were due to the new version of the forum making a lot more calls to the server and the database than before, and that every time you saw the orange progress bar at the top of the page a call was being made. Well every time I load a new page and my cursor happens to be over a user name it's making an extra (unwanted) call to the server. Since this is happening pretty much every other page I call up, my presence here is generating an extra unwanted call for every two that I do want. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's finding this happening as well and with almost 800 users on at the moment that could be an extra 400 unwanted calls for every 800 wanted ones.

Something to think about.

The pop up only occurs on a TINY section of the screen. I had to spend a few seconds trying to find where to hover. I really don't think it's a big issue for most people so just put your mouse somewhere to the right of the screen or something.

Ped - it must just be me, but what I'm finding is that about half the time when I click on a thread title to view the thread when the new page loads my mouse pointer is over a user name and the pop-up is triggered. If my mouse was somewhere to the right of the screen I wouldn't be able to click on any threads to view them.

BigRedX - please bear in mind that the forum software is not written by BassChat and we can't really modify it apart from the basic skin colours and a few plugins. If parts of the forum just don't work at all then we can look into it in the background, but if you just don't like the way it does something or have to alter your mouse clicks slightly then it's not something we are going to prioritise.

No that's fine. However as only a user of the forum I don't know what extra options are available behind the scenes. I work on the principle that if I don't mention these issues then nothing will ever get done about them. However if it was possible to make changes either at a global or user level then it would be nice to know and maybe to enable it.

If there is nothing that can be done about the pop-ups then I'll do my best to live with it, although personally I find them pointless and irritating, but I thought it was worth finding out if something could be done first.

I have discovered a way that makes the forum run faster, but it's one that the mods will not be happy with...

If you look at the very bottom of the page to the left hand side, there is a command called Change Theme... well if you click it and select IP. Board instead of Basschat you get the very basic skin look for the main forum with no adverts at all which is why the mods won't like it cause they will loose revenue from the google ads which are not displayed, although I know those google ads only count if people actually click on them to view them, otherwise the "pay by click" won't work.
Still with all those ads out and the basic skin the forum runs faster.

Fran - You shouldn't be having any more problems as the server and website is now running at full speed (and has been for well over a week)

Any problems are now most likely at your end.

As for changing skins and your allusion [i]"that the mods will not be happy"[/i]? - You go on to state that you realise that this will essentially make no difference in revenue - so why make the point in the first place?

I've used the standard IP skin - it makes no difference in speed for me.

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1319352487' post='1412890']
Fran - You shouldn't be having any more problems as the server and website is now running at full speed (and has been for well over a week)

As for changing skins and your allusion [i]"that the mods will not be happy"[/i]? - You go on to state that you realise that this will essentially make no difference in revenue - so why make the point in the first place?

[/quote]
I use the IP skin too. I don't have any speed difference, it just looks better to me.

Turning ads off will almost always make a web page load faster. If with the ads off Basschat is now running at a sensible speed I would suggest that the problem lies with the ads and not with Basschat - maybe something in your router or firewall settings that is interfering with the normal running of the ads while still letting the ads themselves load. That would also explain why you are seeing the same issues with all browsers.

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1319352487' post='1412890']

[/quote]

Oh dear, I feel like a naughty school boy been told off. I've said it with all the good intentions in mind, you know? Of course revenues matters to the board and that perhaps that solution is not ideal. Ignore my suggestion.

There's nothing wrong with the forum speed it's all in my head and of course my computer and broadband are both sh|te. Move along nothing to see here.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1322928976' post='1457434']
It's all a lot nicer to use now. Only problem I have is it's not keeping me logged in from one session to the next and Firefox doesn't recognise the password screen, so it doesn't fill it in. I'm on Firefox 3.6 with updates turned off, cos I hate what they did to it after that.
[/quote]

Sounds like a cookie problem? - Try clearing out the cookies and cache?

Most serious bugs seem to have gone now, but the one that is really annoying is that if I read a thread it no longer appears in searches (e.g., 'Vie Nw Content'). If I reply I can see it in 'My Content', but if I don't reply, it's as if the thread never existed unless I actively work my way through the forum in question. It makes it very hard to follow threads

The site has calmed down now, from being a buggy nuisance, yes definately. I tell you what hasnt gone. Its that pain in the arse update of server between 2 - 3 am everyday of the week. The forum just locks up and 404s are all you get for an hour. Our North American[b][size=5]*[/size][/b] cousins must just love that eveynight as they try to log in or browse. Quite appart from it being a monumental mither, it must be loosing thousands of potential forum browsers and advertising click revenue every night.

Other sites dont have this bother. Cant something be done about it ?

[size=5][b]* [/b][size=4]I say[i] North [/i]American, merely as i dont seem to recal too many south Americans here ?[/size][/size]

Edited by daz

Thanks chaps. I'm talking to Ben about these little glitches and we'll get there.

Steve is busy looking for a new staff member who can offer dedicated 24/7 support. It's all getting rather demanding, which is a good thing and very exciting. Its Important that we work out the small problems.

Cheers

OK I have spoken to Ben and it looks like we'll have to go for an updated database engine which will be more futureproof. Hopefully we can afford the ~10hrs work it'll take and then that's that problem solved (plus a few other glitches in the process)

Thanks and stay tuned

ped

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1323212776' post='1460762']
OK I have spoken to Ben and it looks like we'll have to go for an updated database engine which will be more futureproof. Hopefully we can afford the ~10hrs work it'll take and then that's that problem solved (plus a few other glitches in the process)
[/quote]

Good news :) Thanks