Why become a member? ×

Forum Update Bugs 'n' Glitches

Kiwi

We're currently dealing as best we can with a load of glitches that have appeared from the update. Some of them affect how the site functions, others are more of an inconvenience. There are so many of them that its unlikely we'll be able to deal with everything as quickly as we'd like.

What we will do is create a list for Ben to look at and leave him to prioritise stuff. It might be that a number of issues end up being caused by the same bug. Whether there's a fix for the bug from Invision is another matter that needs bottoming out as well.

So in the meantime, keep listing them here as it also makes us aware of which features get used more than others and thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Steve, I've pretty much given up on the site as it's virtually unusable from my laptop, my desktop and from work, each running a different OS and different browser. I'm sure if I persisted and was happy to wait 15-30 secs for each post to open, and even longer to post a reply, it would be OK, but I just don't have the time. I'm assuming that the guys who are still posting regularly are either very patient or have better IT than I do.

There are also just to many functions that don't work any more, e.g., topics in which I've posted don't appear in searches, I don't get email notifications, PMs disappear from my Inbox, photos don't show in some threads but do in others etc. The last straw for me was editing a post yesterday - a pretty slow process - and returning to it 10 minutes later to find an empty post which simply said "This post has been edited by Beedster" I sincerely hope you sort these things out mate, it's a great site and had really gained some momentum and critical mass over the last 18 months.

Chris

Thanks Beedster. I'm sorry about the inconvenience. A lot of this just flies above the heads of Ped and I and we have to trust that Ben knows what the solutions are and that he can sort them out when he returns from his holiday. Thing is that we're often sold on the benefits of these upgrades but the bugs are never known until the installation has happened.

I might also add that I'm having very few issues accessing the site from my laptop. Could it be that you have low bandwidth on your connection? I know some connections get slow because the local telephone exchange is over subscribed.

Hey Steve,

Well, guess what, it's running fine this morning. That's part of the problem however, it's very inconsistent speed-wise, and on all three computers. I don't doubt there could be issues with the connections but other sites function just fine on these same connections, so I don't think we can escape the implication that, at the very least, something that was done in the upgrade renders BC very slow on certain connections at certain times? To be honest, if it was only the speed issue, it wouldn't be so bad, but the interaction of poor speed with poor functionality is what's done it for me; for example, it takes ages to load a search only to find that the search hasn't found some or all of the posts I was looking for. As I mentioned above, my own threads don't appear, and given that I no longer receive emails, I can't track whether people have replied without trawling though all the forums, which, as I may have mentioned, is an extremely slow process! Slow but functional would be OK, but slow and non/part-functional is a real pain!

Anyway, I've no doubt you've had your fill of this stuff and I'm sure you're on your way to getting it sorted. Hope all's well in NZ mate, hope to see the All Blacks in the RWC final

Chris

Speed is the biggest issue for me as well and I'm on a fast connection and have tried on two different laptops and a big quad core mac.

The real killer is iPhone - massive latency problem that I've never seen in all the time I've had an iPhone. I'm accessing via fast wireless as well.

There's a huge time lag between clicking on a letter and then waiting for it to appear. Makes the site pretty much unusable I you're a regular iPhone poster.

I just bought my first (secondhand) iPhone 3GS 2 days ago and I followed the instructions to do a restore to original settings as I had to 'network unlock' it and didn't want any of the previous owner's stuff on it.

It's of little comfort perhaps but I have full site access and functionality with it on either wireless or mobile data - it's also pretty quick even on mobile data.

I did have a Samsung Wave smartphone and the site had very limited functionality on that due to it's own weird OS.

As for PC's etc - I have a pretty old desktop running XP, a 1 year old laptop running Vista and at work a thin client on Windows NT.

Again, it's little comfort but all 3 have very quick access and full functionality. I can't view some pictures at work due to firewall restrictions.

I'm beginning to think (and I'm not as good a thinker as Ben!) that most speed/access problems are user based.
A user's location shouldn't be an issue if everything was OK on the previous forum software version.
Problems with the search facility must be database problems as I don't know if Ben has finished importing/synchronising the old database, and also what he says here - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/156939-google-searches-for-old-content-broken/page__view__findpost__p__1393472

I'm trying to figure how all the 'new' features link to and sits with the 'old' data - and it's a slow process because I'm not a code monkey/software expert - but I'll keep going until the server/database/forum software interactions are resolved.

I'm wondering if the slowdowns are connected with the social media integration? I' running an extension which blocks tracking by Google, Facebook and Twitter on one of my Macs and the forum is definitely slower on that one (although not to the extent that other users are reporting). I've had issues on other sites in the past when blocking things like ads can prevent parts of the site that you aren't blocking from loading completely.

It would be interesting to know if those having slowdown problems are running any types of blocking extensions for ads, scripts or other content, or are behind a firewall that is filtering out some content.

The other thing to look at is that it might be connected with the notifications issue. Even though most of the sending of notifications seem to have been switched off while the bug is being fixed by the forum software developers, I'm guessing that the forum database is still having to keep track of who has looked at what from a notifications PoV even if it isn't sending out announcements about it. The forum that I'm finding the slowest - "Off Topic" appears to have a significant number of people who are following the whole forum. For a forum that is so busy that a topic can drop off the front page in less than 12 hours and has other topics over 100 pages long that can't be healthy for the server of the software.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318080991' post='1397900']
I'm wondering if the slowdowns are connected with the social media integration? I' running an extension which blocks tracking by Google, Facebook and Twitter on one of my Macs and the forum is definitely slower on that one (although not to the extent that other users are reporting). I've had issues on other sites in the past when blocking things like ads can prevent parts of the site that you aren't blocking from loading completely.

It would be interesting to know if those having slowdown problems are running any types of blocking extensions for ads, scripts or other content, or are behind a firewall that is filtering out some content.

The other thing to look at is that it might be connected with the notifications issue. Even though most of the sending of notifications seem to have been switched off while the bug is being fixed by the forum software developers, I'm guessing that the forum database is still having to keep track of who has looked at what from a notifications PoV even if it isn't sending out announcements about it. The forum that I'm finding the slowest - "Off Topic" appears to have a significant number of people who are following the whole forum. For a forum that is so busy that a topic can drop off the front page in less than 12 hours and has other topics over 100 pages long that can't be healthy for the server of the software.
[/quote]

Good suggestion. It's been looked into and what you describe is not causing any problems at all.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318080991' post='1397900']
It would be interesting to know if those having slowdown problems are running any types of blocking extensions for ads, scripts or other content, or are behind a firewall that is filtering out some content.[/quote]
Apart from the initial 'Database Synchronisation' go slow that lasted about a week or so from the switch, all is well both at home (XP SP3, Firefox + AdBlockPlus & firewalled with Zonealarm) and on the laptop (Win 7, Firefox, AdBlock+ & Zonealarm).

By way of a connection, I use a 3G PAYG Dongle for both; much the same speed on each, but I suspect that Win 7 is a tad quicker off the mark.

Admittedly, speculating from a data set of 1 is likely to end in tears, but BC is fast enough for my needs.

Pete.

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1318069051' post='1397748']
I'm beginning to think (and I'm not as good a thinker as Ben!) that most speed/access problems are user based.
[/quote]

Well mate, all I can say is that the only site I currently have any problem with is BC, and the problem has only been since the 'upgrade'. Reading between the lines of your post, are you suggesting that unlike any other website I visit, if I wish to use BC I have to modify my IT settings substantially?

Chris

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1318098487' post='1398134']
Typing a post on the iPhone is toe-curling, though.
[/quote]
Same for me, 90% of my time on Basschat was via iPhone. It unusable for me now.
I've connected from my desktop now though rarely get to do that.

Mostly visit BC from my iPad 2 (running Safari) and quite often when I hit the "back" arrow there is a latency of a good 15-30sec before I get back to the previous side I was on. I'm on a 100Mbit connection and none of the other sites I frequent have this mischevious behaviour. This aside, the forum overall is also slightly slower overall for me than the old version - and slower than other bass forums. Mind, BC is still a wonderful place! :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1318097894' post='1398127']

Well mate, all I can say is that the only site I currently have any problem with is BC, and the problem has only been since the 'upgrade'.
[/quote]

Totally agree - I've been running a side by side test of BC vs Talkbass & I can read a whole thread on TB whilst one on BC is waiting to load.

I've tried running three concurrent browsers on BC and that just about allows me to move around with the kind of speed I used to have before the 'upgrade'.

The only other site I can think of that runs as slow as BC now does is the main Sky programming portal - however this is the same site that is currently running a 'programmes to watch out for so you never miss them' article which leads with England vs Montenegro which was aired yesterday. . .

I was told by someone at Sky that the reason there site is so always so slow is simply that it was built on a crappy platform but, having gone to huge expense to move it to this platform, it was going to cost too much to move it again and/or fix it so they just decided to 'live with it' :)

My iPhone access is worse than any other site I've ever used so this really cannot be a user interface problem as even graphic and image heavy sites load faster than mostly text pages on BC.

Edited by molan

Just took me 20 minutes to get onto the site - it was just giving me a gateway timeout error. going onto down for everyone or just me according to that it was down for everyone during this time. I've used that a few times when this has happened and its come back as the site being down

I'm using Ghostery on Firefox to block facebook and other stuff and its not changed the speed of access for me.

I actually really like this new version of the site and hope everything gets sorted out soon but there are always teething problems at the start.

Seriously I have tried every suggestion, however I not prepared to modify my pc to the likes of disabling things that the moderators here "thinks" might or might not interfere with running this forum, specially when no such issues arise when visiting any other vBulletin based or PHP based forums (fori?) which I visit such as Talkbass, EBMM and my very own bike forum ( http:/www.xt660.com/index.php )
I regret to say this is a pain to view / open / post and even visit, and with all due respect I love this forum but it is about time both owner and admins / mods, all start realizing that it's not us, nor our computers / broadband connections or other, but there is definately something wrong at your end, be it within your new server or it's ability and that of the actual new forum software to be capable of handling such a large traffic of users either at peak times or not.

I do confirm that there are rare times where you can point and click at sub section here and get there straight away but these are rare and far in between, and also never at the same time, so that makes it difficlult to predict if it would be better to visit late at night or early in the morning. It remains unpredictable but for most part of the day this is tediously slow and I repeat will all due respect, unless something its done, this will bore us in the end and drive us away.

I do not intend to be rude or out of order but truth needs be told. This has got to be sorted out.

Sorry.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1318193574' post='1399135']
I regret to say this is a pain to view / open / post and even visit, and with all due respect I love this forum but it is about time both owner and admins / mods, all start realizing that it's not us, nor our computers / broadband connections or other, but there is definately something wrong at your end, be it within your new server or it's ability and that of the actual new forum software to be capable of handling such a large traffic of users either at peak times or not.
[/quote]
It's flying for me at the moment. Is it slow for anyone else right now?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1318193759' post='1399138']
It's flying for me at the moment. Is it slow for anyone else right now?
[/quote]

Put it this way, when I clicked enter, after typing the post above I've had to look at 4 orange dots on the middle top of the page, buffering to display my post for something like 35-45 seconds.

OK there appears to be a common theme to many of the issues being reported. Some people are ok, others aren't and yet some have noticed different results on different machines running different levels of updated software.

Could I suggest that everyone who have experienced browsing issues checks that all their web browsing software and windows updates are current? At minimum that would include macromedia, flash, java, windows updates and the latest versions of their browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc.).

Log here if you have do that [u]and[/u] notice an improvement after a particular update, it might help us identify which one is causing issues.