Why become a member? ×

Jessie J Live

Musicman20

I thought Jesse J really had something when she got that little girl up on her large debut gig at Glasto ( and all the importanace and pressure that entails ) and nailed the ad-lib act. The girl was great but JJ carried it off compleletly with no ego and GREAT panache.
You can't train that to that degree...IMV..and she is a natural performer. Her interviews are refreshening..as are Adeles, and her vocals are very good. She writes her songs, they say, so I do think she is the Real deal.
Gaga is not so much a musical performer but a great show...songs aren't too bad..and she out Madonnas Madonna who wrote the work hard/limited talent book, IMO. At least Gaga has a passable voice to carry her tunes.
Madoona was sheer marketing built on sand...but you have to say she maxxed that right out. :)

I am not sure you cab blame Gaga for marketing strategy even if you get sick of the ideas running a tad thin these days.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1317829313' post='1395108']
You might aswell have chucked Kate Bush and Nina Simone in there too.
[/quote]

Nina Simone and Kate Bush were masters of their art, groundbreakers actually in their own respective ways. Jessie J and Gaga, sorry but no, neither compare.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1317834917' post='1395208']

So can no other bassist compare with Jamerson?
[/quote]

Correct :)

Seriously though, there's no holds barred when it comes to forming your own opinion on stuff like this. But it becomes (IMV at least) insulting when people like Nina Simone get held up for comparison to someone like Madonna, just for example. Just because they worked in the same industry doesn't make their level of talent in any way comparable at all. Preference is another thing entirely.

.........it's all just entertainment FGS.
Kate Bush had an image which added some intrigue, which helped sales.
Nina simone had an image which added........................
Jessie J has an...............................................
Lady G has...................
Madonna...................

They all have varying levels of musical talent...But all had/have talent to entertain, and all will have worked with some fab bass players.
Why do some people get so upset about other people's success?.....soooooo British.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1317886847' post='1395700']Not sure anyone is upset/toys out of the pram.... we are just piling into a thread to make the place look active.

If we don't have activity and opinions..the place will get pretty boring and deserted soon.[/quote]

It's ok, I've had coffee now.

Although I'm very upset that no ones upset, it's very upsetting.

i kinda like her also. Again as many have said, pop music dont usually float my boat but she is one that stands above most of it as her talent speaks for itself when she is on stage. Crakin set of lungs!!! ooh er. And she is fit!

Also, that drummer!!!! He was slamming the groove down in that tune. For me having a drummer like that who really commands the rhythm brings pop music to a different level when being played live because you dont really notice it when on the radio etc. Good work that man.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1317886847' post='1395700']Not sure anyone is upset/toys out of the pram.... we are just piling into a thread to make the place look active. If we don't have activity and opinions..the place will get pretty boring and deserted soon.[/quote]

I usually just post because i'm desperate to not have more posts in off topic than anywhere else on the site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watched her on Jools last night as part of the 2011 'best of'.

Great voice, quirky girl, like it.

Adele has a totally stunning voice. I really like her tracks but totally over played which will ruin it....along with X Factor contestants thinking they have a voice like her.

Another band on called The Civil Wars....great duo...acoustic folky/blues...like it a lot. Both had really good gritty voices.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1321709526' post='1442242']
Adele has a totally stunning voice. I really like her tracks but totally over played which will ruin it....along with X Factor contestants thinking they have a voice like her.
[/quote]

I really like Adele, but she's not been very sensible with her voice of late. Hopefully she'll be on the mend after taking some time out.

The live / studio thing reminds me of when i was really disappointed with Ladyhawk after hearing her on (i think) radio 2, hadn't heard her before and she was doing My Delirium acoustically with guitar, cello, keys and an upright bass it sounded fantastic - had a real folky vibe to it. I promptly downloaded it off I-tunes when i got home and was really disapointed to find a synth-pop song that was a bit of a Faith No More rip off

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1321709526' post='1442242']
Watched her on Jools last night as part of the 2011 'best of'.

Great voice, quirky girl, like it.

Another band on called The Civil Wars....great duo...acoustic folky/blues...like it a lot. Both had really good gritty voices.
[/quote]

I remember seeing Jessie on Later doing 'Pricetag', thought it was brilliant.
Great song/singer/performance. How many of todays artists would go on national TV with just an acoustic guitar
accompanying them, with nowhere to hide?