Why become a member? ×

More new Fender models - The 'Modern Player' Series

wateroftyne

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317652004' post='1392728']

Do we really need something genuinely new? Doesn't what we have available now do a good enough job?
[/quote]

Well that's another matter :) Lots of things do a great job as they do now but doesn't mean they won't advance

My point was that if they wanted to Fender have the resources to produce something new and innovative but they choose not to for whatever reason (well presumably they reckon it's good economics and they'd probably be right!). I'm not knocking them it's their choice but it would be beneficial to us if they looked in to doing something original.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' timestamp='1317652422' post='1392738']
If you're happy with a couple of body shapes,and three or four pickups shared between dozens of models.........................................
For arguably the pioneer of mass produced electric bass guitars,they do'nt seem to have come up with much new since the Jazz Bass.IMO
[/quote]

Yep. A P or Jazz body, with one P pickup is good enough for me.

I realise some people want something different, im not knocking that, but you can have pretty much anything you want already, yet still most people go for the tried and tested.

[quote name='krazy_olie' timestamp='1317652598' post='1392745']
Well that's another matter :) Lots of things do a great job as they do now but doesn't mean they won't advance

My point was that if they wanted to Fender have the resources to produce something new and innovative but they choose not to for whatever reason (well presumably they reckon it's good economics and they'd probably be right!). I'm not knocking them it's their choice but it would be beneficial to us if they looked in to doing something original.
[/quote]

I do agree, its more about economics rather than innovation but im guessing Fender haven't stayed in the business this long without knowing what they are doing, or doing market research to find out what people want.
Could be wrong of course.

[quote name='krazy_olie' timestamp='1317651305' post='1392705']
It think Fender Fender's design team is a bloke with a few buckets containing bits of card that say things like "jazz pickups".

[/quote]

That sounds like a larf:

Precision Body

Mustang Neck

Mudbucker at the neck

Double Precision pickups in the middle and bridge positions

We can call it the Fender Shortarse Motherbucker Classic Modified Vintage Closet Precisitang ©

Then people would say, if only it came in bile orange or phlehm yellow with mother of toilet seat scratchplate I'd be all over it.

That's why Fender make 100 squillion different versions of the same basic basses

Edited by Delberthot

The medium to high end Fender copy market is is out there making millions of dollars every year producing thousands of basses. The fact that they don't want any part of that market indicates there are some very lazy business brains sitting around the top table at Fender.

To be fair I think its difficult for Fender to be creative as they have to stick with the basic outline of what a fender is, but Im not sure if what new ideas they come up with are a guy with a bucket of cards saying "jazz pickup" or a result of market research, but I agree most new fender ideas are like a mr potato body with random fender parts stuck on it

They should make em like they use to and call them Re issues :)

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1317659296' post='1392875']
Haven't Fender tried a few changes on the basic shape and have basically failed?

I mean like the cow poke, [i][b]the Slim one [/b][/i](Canny mind it's name) and the aerodyne.

Okay all just variations to various extremes on a theme but then arent the majority of basses just variations on the P or J shape? Unless you go for mega pointy, T-Bird or Rick shapes.
[/quote]

Would that by the Lyte?

people who buy Fenders want a Fender. if its too outlandish then they won't buy it, they want traditional, zillions of versions of the same bass and 25 different layers from Starcaster Argos special to made like they have been played in a social club for 60 years

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1317657118' post='1392839']
The medium to high end Fender copy market is is out there making millions of dollars every year producing thousands of basses. The fact that they don't want any part of that market indicates there are some very lazy business brains sitting around the top table at Fender.
[/quote]
Maybe you should email Fender and and let them know where they're going wrong...

They attempted, not sure if the suceeded, at matching Sadowsky's superjazz with the new Deluxe Series.

Don't get me wrong, they look awesome, but I'm still not convinced it matches the 'superjazz' basses by less mainstream manufacturers. I need to see and hear one PROPERLY, but all I keep hearing is 'poor shielding' etc etc.

The American Standards are fantastic now, finally, after they ditched the S1 era.

Fender makes great P's and J's, passive, 4 string. Anything else is a bit of a risk...but they COULD do it.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1317635507' post='1392445']
I wonder if this is Fender slowly removing the Squier range and replacing it with all Fenders since we already have the Cheapy nasty Fender Starcaster Jazz junk.
[/quote]

Apparently they have already done away with the Squier acoustic bass. With all the new models that Squier have been producing, not to mention the quality, has this been a test bed for things to come?

Another thought; At £400, this is just £100 less then a MIM standard bass so are they going to discontinue MIIM basses or or wait until this range takes a foothold before bumping up the prices of the MIM basses?

Do fender really need to have MIA, CIJ, MIM and MIC when a lot of other manufacturers only have MIA and another facility somewhere in the far east?

MIA for the top end stuff, CIJ for the next layer down (although arguably better than MIA anyway) and MIC for the entry level Fenders (which will still be bloody good if previous MIC stuff is anything to go by)

I already have a jazz and precision deluxe in Butterscotch Blonde so a Telecaster bass would fill out the family very nicely. I'll wait a couple of years until there are a few around on eBay in the £300 range. I normally don't go for a really thuddy sound so the addition of the bridge pickup would hopefully allow for a wider range of tones.