Why become a member? ×

Multiple basses yet same model

Musicman20

I have always been a Ray or P player, although I do like Jazz basses from time to time.

I have my Rays (incl other EBMMs) covered. (although I still want a 2EQ at some point).

I have a very nice American Standard P and J.

For some reason, Im still weighing up buying another American Standard P. I have no idea why.

I know one would stay mint, and the other would get more use, but I don't see why I need another?! It would be exactly the same apart from the colour, even the same fretboard. Ok, one could be strung with flats, one with rounds.

Is there any point?

What you have to realise that as much as I play, I also collect as well,

I think if they hadnt shot up in price, I would have already bought one, but to buy one now, you are looking at £1000 or just under if you haggle for a non-3TS colour.

Damn GAS.

I don't see any problem with having multiple basses, so long as you've got the money to spend on them, it's up to you really! Let's be honest here, I think we'd all love to have a room full of basses, basses and more basses! Plus we all know that two of the same model can feel and sound rather different, especially if strung differently! Personally I'd love a P with flats and another with rounds, perhaps even 2 jazzes and 2 rays set up the same...

In short, I don't see why you should stop yourself. Aslong as you're not spending literally all your money on them that is, haha.

I used to have a pair of Stingrays and take them both out gigging - they probably saw as much use as each other, it was nice to change up my colour scheme every once in a while!

If you want it, and you can afford it, then why not - we all know you're a bass hoarder, so you'll do it regardlessof what anyone says on this here thread :)

If you ever change your mind and decide you don't need it, you've got some nice trade-in collateral for the next toy, just go for it!!

No, there's no point, but if you've got the money and the inclination then why not!

Music-schmidt have got a masterbuilt Sandberg VS (p pickup only) for less than half price, it's like €989 instead of over €2000 or something! Depends whether you like the whole "reliced" thing or not really.

Not that I'm always banging on about Sandbergs or anything........

buying new..... no i wouldn't do it.
When I bought my JV I had an almost identical CIJ P bass, well it looked the same, I debated keeping them both.
Secondhand I would, something interesting comes up..... but then I think of all the years and models of basses made it would be a shame to buy another identical one, if fender, try a different era or japanese or something, at the moment there are enough bargins to be had in the for sale section that another identical new fender at £1k..... I wouldn't do it. Try something new, I would have a look at the clover thats there personally. :)

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316451178' post='1378170']
I used to have three of the same, one 4, one 5, one fretless. It worked really well, but now I just have the 4.
[/quote]
That's not quite "the same", though is it!
Granted, there's some duplication between the 4 and 5, but not between fretted/fretless...
(Says the man with a Infinity 4, Fortress MM 5 and Streamer LX6...)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1316452991' post='1378203']
That's not quite "the same", though is it!
Granted, there's some duplication between the 4 and 5, but not between fretted/fretless...
(Says the man with a Infinity 4, Fortress MM 5 and Streamer LX6...)
[/quote]
I meant they were the same type of bass, so the 'feel' was consistent.

At the moment I have three Precisions, though am going to sell one, to fund the latet one I`ve just bought.

To my mind, there`s no need to have 2 or more of the same bass, unless you`re in a regular gigging band and put your basses through it on those gigs, therefore a backup of equal standing being necessary.

But, if it`s affordable, I don`t see any reason to not have them. It`s our hobby, why not have what makes us happy. If that means two or three of the same bass, great.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1316433886' post='1377895']
I have always been a Ray or P player, although I do like Jazz basses from time to time.

I have my Rays (incl other EBMMs) covered. (although I still want a 2EQ at some point).

I have a very nice American Standard P and J.

For some reason, Im still weighing up buying another American Standard P. I have no idea why.

I know one would stay mint, and the other would get more use, but I don't see why I need another?! It would be exactly the same apart from the colour, even the same fretboard. Ok, one could be strung with flats, one with rounds.

Is there any point?

What you have to realise that as much as I play, I also collect as well,

I think if they hadnt shot up in price, I would have already bought one, but to buy one now, you are looking at £1000 or just under if you haggle for a non-3TS colour.

Damn GAS.
[/quote]

Ok now Gareth you'll need to translate this to understand it, from Italian to English:

Gareth

Tanto per cominciare, i tuoi 2 Fender American Standard non esistono ancora, finquando non ci mostri le fotografie, poi in addizione, me sembra che in questo thread, stai parlando attraverso la tua parte di dietro, perche' a me, niente di quanto hai scritto sta facendo alcun senso. :)

-----------

Now I challenge you or some other clever clogs here to go translate what I have written in italian and that is what I think about this post of yours. :) :)

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I take the two basses to 99% of gigs, they are both J5's with East pre but sound massively different.
They play pretty much the same in terms of feel and set-up but I don't decide what one I want to use predominantly on the date until I've sound-checked them.

Using 2 like this, it is quite hard to keep on top of setting them up with strings etc...
I don't like a lot of change and my style is my style, and interchangeable between the two but to use them and string them, I have to do everything twice. I don't EQ the amp for either, it is the same for both.
Anymore would be a right pain and I wouldn't use them so much..which would defeat the object of having them, in reality

People can of course do whatever they want. I think the reality is that when the hard times hit (& life is after all a series of highs and lows) it's the duplicates that go. I have 2 Precisions now but at my peak had 5. I probably wouldn't bother with several of the same model again but it was good fun whilst it lasted.

Well, a recent budgeting exercise showed that whilst I can afford it, I would be straining over the next few months, and it is Xmas after all. So, for now, ill put it on the back burner.

I used to own two before, and one always came out on top, and I didnt miss the old one when it was gone. I told myself then that two was daft...but temptation towards basses is ongoing!

I think it might be better for me to invest in something totally totally different, but perhaps mid 2012. We shall see!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1316463065' post='1378443']

Ok now Gareth you'll need to translate this to understand it, from Italian to English:

Gareth

Tanto per cominciare, i tuoi 2 Fender American Standard non esistono ancora, finquando non ci mostri le fotografie, poi in addizione, me sembra che in questo thread, stai parlando attraverso la tua parte di dietro, perche' a me, niente di quanto hai scritto sta facendo alcun senso. :)

-----------

Now I challenge you or some other clever clogs here to go translate what I have written in italian and that is what I think about this post of yours. :) :o
[/quote]

Bing says:
For a start, your 2 Fender American Standard does not yet exist, until you show us the photographs, then in addition, it seems to me that in this thread, you're talking through your behind, because to me, nothing you wrote is making no sense. :)