Why become a member? ×

New Site Problem - latency

geoffbyrne

Sometimes it's loading pages like *snaps fingers* that, and sometimes it's taking >10 secs to open a thread. I'm at work (Uni) so I don't think I want for bandwidth. Probably server load. It'll calm down once the migration is fully complete. Go make a cup of tea. White, no sugar, ta :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317034602' post='1385617']
As far as I am concerned, better the devil you know, I don't have any other browsers and I am not about to downlad, Chrome, Safari, or others because the way I see it if I.E. works with all the other forums and website I use, why should I try something else I am not familiar with? The problem is here in-house within the new forum software.
[/quote]
I think you missed the point entirely, I was asking you to try it to see if it was the same, not stop using what you do now and swap over. If you don't want to help us to help you, then we are stuck aren't we ?

We're still converting posts which is locking things up so please try to be patient as it's just something we have to get done.

We'll get round to doing the mobile interface also soon but again please be patient. If you feel the need to post that the forum is too slow after this message please just log out and give it a few days or something because it's just going to take a little time now. The server is all paid for and has lots of capacity to make the site super fast but we can't do anything at the moment.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1317035071' post='1385631']
I think you missed the point entirely, I was asking you to try it to see if it was the same, not stop using what you do now and swap over. If you don't want to help us to help you, then we are stuck aren't we ?
[/quote]

Wow. good luck fixing it.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317041408' post='1385797']
Wow. good luck fixing it.
[/quote]
Let me draw a parallel. I'm a bass shop and you've bought an amp from me. You get it home and report it buzzes when you're using your favourite bass. I ask if you get the problem from another bass, you tell me you only want to use THAT bass so aren't going to tell me, but expect me replace the amp without confirmation that it's definitely faulty. I may very well sound like i'm getting frustrated here, but my day job revolves around root cause analysis and fault finding, and much of being able to this things relies on co-operation from people. Without that - not much happens :).

FWIW, it's hurtling along for me at the moment on laptop and iPhone (with the exception of laggy text input on the phone).

As it seems to be related to the load on the DB, surely it would be easier to put something at the top of the page to say 'Please be patient while the new site completes the upgrade' or similar?

I know I keep mentioning this, but it seems like a quick win - people are assured it's acknowledged and in-hand, and Ped & Co. stop getting nagged about the performance.

You could maybe put it in the email notifications. On the subject of those (i know this isnt the right thread), i still cant get money figures to show properly. Im still getting code instead of the £ symbol followed by a number.

Oh, and yeah, its pretty fast here at the moment.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1317046434' post='1385889']Come on chaps.

This is a server side load related intermittent issue.

Give the guys a break, it will resolve when the migration is complete.[/quote]

That's my point. Only a tiny percentage of the BC user base who have bothered to trawl through this thread know this.

The rest just think it's slow and occasionally unusable.

The key is to get out there and tell everyone to bear with it. The horse has bolted, though...

I can't see how typing latency can be server problem? Surely the browser requests the page from the server with the post interface which then loads into your browser window. You type into the resulting data field. There should be no further communication between the browser and the Basschat server until you click the post button.

Do you have any other pages open at the same time in either separate windows or tabs? If so close them and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't try I would suspect a dodgy ad. Try running an ad-blocker to see if that improves things

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317027017' post='1385488'] Yes it's got be my PC, right? Perhaps it's because it's too new and too fast for this? :) [IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/286251dc.jpg[/IMG] And I am also on a Virgin optic 50Meg broadband, honestly guv every other site and fori I visit is flying, I have no idea why BC runs slow on my pc[/quote]

If you are experiencing typing latency it is something your end not playing nice.

Which version of what browser are you using?

What type of security software are you using? (Certain types of security software sniff javascript events and can inject code to try and work out what is going on and keep everything 'safe' and/or intercept requests and parse them.

Typically if you havent got that sort of thing getting in the way then IME typing latency is something going a bit haywire in the browser because it just doesnt get on with some of the data structures being passed about and held on to in the page.

It used to be the case that older IE versions and FF versions got very tied up by this sort of thing. In recent years (since IE7, FF3) this has been less and less of an issue as javascript performance have become important for bragging rights between browser coders.

The one thing I think it isnt is down to the server having had load in your case.

Very unusual, do you have a browser capable of laoding plugins at all? If so try disabling them (yup all), if that makes a differenc, then turn thm back on one at a time and see if one of them is the culprit.

Only other thing to try is a completely different browser.

if that shows the same issues, then its something other than the browser, but its still your end, I'm afraid.

Mr. Wazoo - there's no traffic / processing happening across 'tinternet when you type - only when selecting certain options from the toolbar above. Any lagginess you're getting while typing standard text is a local issue.

Trying another browser and letting us know whether it's still a problem will be very useful to know.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1317124602' post='1386967']
Mr. Wazoo - there's no traffic / processing happening across 'tinternet when you type - only when selecting certain options from the toolbar above. Any lagginess you're getting while typing standard text is a local issue.

Trying another browser and letting us know whether it's still a problem will be very useful to know.
[/quote]

I agree with this, otherwise everyone would be having the same issues.

But, no one has come up with a reason why iPhone users are suffering with really poor text lagging. Based on the last few posts saying its got to be at our end i would assume its a compatibility issue with the forum software and Safari (on iPhone), couldn't this also cause issues on a PC with desktop browsers?

Just thinking out aloud.

Not sure but hopefully Ben is on it, I presume it's an iphone issue and the reason we'll have a mobile interfece too. I recall another camera forum I use having a text lag issue which was fixed... I'll see if I can dig it up as an example to help us too.

ped

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1317126049' post='1387003']
But, no one has come up with a reason why iPhone users are suffering with really poor text lagging. Based on the last few posts saying its got to be at our end i would assume its a compatibility issue with the forum software and Safari (on iPhone), couldn't this also cause issues on a PC with desktop browsers?
[/quote]
It could, but you would expect more people to be affected.

As far as I'm aware the iPhone issue is affecting loads of people - lagging while typing on PCs is only a very small number.