Why become a member? ×

New Site Problem - latency

geoffbyrne

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1316972288' post='1385044']
It's working perfect on my iPhone now. At least as quick as my MacBook. Woop!
[/quote]

Might try a reset, but everything else on my phone is fine...

Edit - it is only posting and messaging that is slow. Browsing is ok

Edited by nottswarwick

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1316972424' post='1385047']

Might try a reset, but everything else on my phone is fine...

Edit - it is only posting and messaging that is slow. Browsing is ok[/quote]

It's all fine for me. Have you cleared the cache since the site upgrade etc? I did that under general settings > safari and it seemed to sort mine out.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1316982606' post='1385208']
Ped! I thought you said this is now running on a new server, and that now things would be fast as a fast thing on speed, but... it's still slow here, there's typing latency and everything. ???
[/quote]
Must be your PC ! Mine is far from being zippy (it's 5 years old) but there is no typing latency, at all.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1317017266' post='1385404']
Must be your PC ! Mine is far from being zippy (it's 5 years old) but there is no typing latency, at all.
[/quote]

Yes it's got be my PC, right? Perhaps it's because it's too new and too fast for this? :)

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/286251dc.jpg[/IMG]

And I am also on a Virgin optic 50Meg broadband, honestly guv every other site and fori I visit is flying, I have no idea why BC runs slow on my pc

I think the transfer to the new server is still slowing things down.

The way i understood it was that when the site was first updated it was on the old sever, it settled down a bit but then they started moving it to the new server so we have the slowdown again.

No idea why the iPhones are getting the typing issues but it seems ok on my PCs.

Even opening or replying to a thread is tediously slow, at the end of the day, I know I am only one person to feel this frustrated, but if this is causing me not to bother, switch off and watch something else, waiting for a day when it's up to speed again, then I guess it should be cause for concern if more people reacts like me. I press enter and ..... here goes nothing!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317030823' post='1385550']
Even opening or replying to a thread is tediously slow, at the end of the day, I know I am only one person to feel this frustrated, but if this is causing me not to bother, switch off and watch something else, waiting for a day when it's up to speed again, then I guess it should be cause for concern if more people reacts like me. I press enter and ..... here goes nothing!
[/quote]

Its not just you, I think a lot of us feel frustrated at the moment. There were a few messages i wante dto reply to yesterday on my iPhone but its too much of a chore at the moment so i didnt bother.

Funny thing though, im not having any PC issues at the moment at work. The site seems fine, typing is fast etc. It does seem a bit slower at home (on 50meg VM) but only this site so i know its not my connection or PC.

Specifically regarding input delays - does that occur on multiple browsers ? Try toggling the editing mode (button at top left of the edit box) and see if that makes any difference ? Isolating the problem is critical to being able to do something about it.

EDIT: This post took less than 1 second to appear on my screen.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1317031579' post='1385563']
Specifically regarding input delays - does that occur on multiple browsers ? Try toggling the editing mode (button at top left of the edit box) and see if that makes any difference ? Isolating the problem is critical to being able to do something about it.

EDIT: This post took less than 1 second to appear on my screen.
[/quote]

I've only got Safari on my iPhone and thats the only browser im having issues with.
As i mentioned in the other thread, i cant access the mobile version to try. clicking on the "use mobile version" hyper link just refreshes the page.

Edited by dave_bass5

Regarding mobile phones - the forum is currently using the full site, not a mobile theme. This means your phone will have to load the website that was meant to run on a much faster desktop/laptop PC that would have had a faster connection too. Mobile phones are simply nowhere near as fast as their larger counterparts yet.

To put it into perspective, my phone (Samsung Galaxy S) has a 1Ghz CPU and 0.5GB RAM (1 year old) , my works PC has a 2GHz CPU and 1GB RAM (and is 3 years old). once the mobile format is running it should be ok.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1317031930' post='1385576']
Regarding mobile phones - the forum is currently using the full site, not a mobile theme. This means your phone will have to load the website that was meant to run on a much faster desktop/laptop PC that would have had a faster connection too. Mobile phones are simply nowhere near as fast as their larger counterparts yet.

[/quote]

Im no expert but i use full sites (as far as i know) for other forums, even flicker with all its images etc on my iPhone and have no problems typing with any of those, so while the above makes sense i dont think thats the reason.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317032366' post='1385586']
No I am not using multiple browser and toggling the edit box has helped some, I guess. but no cigar yet.
[/quote]
Can you try another browser ? Without establishing if affects all we can't try and resolve it.

I have reported to Ben.

It's probably that the server is still copying data over causing it to go slow now and then, and sometimes things go wrong causing things to bunch up.

There shouldn't be any problems viewing the full site on iPhone so we'll look into that too. I have to say it's very fast on mine but text entry slows down and becomes laggy.

The site loads and posts very quickly on all my computers but I know it's not the same for everyone so again we'll look into it. I guess it's hard to diagnise what the issue could be when there are so many browsers and operating systems out there.

Ben will be along shortly to help and answer more technically than myself

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1317032571' post='1385589']
Can you try another browser ? Without establishing if affects all we can't try and resolve it.
[/quote]

As far as I am concerned, better the devil you know, I don't have any other browsers and I am not about to downlad, Chrome, Safari, or others because the way I see it if I.E. works with all the other forums and website I use, why should I try something else I am not familiar with? The problem is here in-house within the new forum software.