Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray

Guest MoJo

Hi Pete, what the 78's value could be has crossed my mind on more than one occasion!

The jazz bass was a swap plus £150 my way, and remains my number one instrument. Its certainly made up for any worries I had about any money I could've got for the Stingray.

But there's always "what if...?"

Anyway, I'm going to try and spend the rest of the year NOT looking at more Stingrays and in particular 5ers....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1361938' date='Sep 4 2011, 05:24 PM']I thought this might happen Mart! You have to dip your toe I guess and hopefully the replacement Ray will be one you feel can use instead of worrying about knocking it about, I heard bassman is thinking of doing a home relic job on it anyway :)[/quote]

Cue Edvard Munch.................Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I'll have to pick me one of them there Pre EB thingies with lots of bangs and scrapes...

[quote name='martthebass' post='1362121' date='Sep 4 2011, 07:57 PM']Cue Edvard Munch.................Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I'll have to pick me one of them there Pre EB thingies with lots of bangs and scrapes...[/quote]
You wouldn't want mine then it's a minter :) and mine already has a certain bc member with first dibs on it too (you know who you are :) ) not that it's going anywhere afaik.

I've never played one either, though the only one i really took to sound wise was the 2 EQ model, the later stuff always seems to sound to thin to me, wether thats just how the amp and bass Eq were set i don't know.
If i can off load my double bass, and possibly the 51 Precision, I'd have a punt on the 1990 black one that was on here. :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1361823' date='Sep 4 2011, 03:04 PM']I still prefer the old fashioned thump of a Precision bass in all honesty.
Still its horses for courses, there are some folk on here who wont be seen dead with a Fender. :)[/quote]

Interestingly (or not) I'm a recent convert to both P basses and Stingrays and I find that my Ray 5 HH seems to do a passable hot-p-thump by using the two inner coils of the four and rolling off the treble a bit. Yum. PLUS a both-on-full-j-ish sound out of the outer two coils AND a frankly obscene ray noise out of the classic ray bridge 'bucker. And all with the help of a quick and easy to visual-check 5 way switch. I'm rather taken with it :)

It's like a kinda slightly aggressive tour-de-fender. Or, pretty much as Gareth put it more eloquently:
'Yes, its never going to have the Fender passive tone, BUT, it is almost like an extension of it.'

Edited by sime17

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' post='1361834' date='Sep 4 2011, 03:18 PM']Shows how it's all down to personal opinion. I had a 2EQ StingRay and, much as I loved the sound and the feel of the neck, I just couldn't get on with the nut width. To date, it's the only bass I've ever sold.

Still like the look of them, however![/quote]

Check out a Stingray with the SLO Special neck (1.5" nut width, same profile as a Sterling). I too couldn't get on with the Stingray nut width and the SLO is the perfect solution.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1361526' date='Sep 4 2011, 09:07 AM']Traded my Midnight Blue Rickenbacker for Martthebass' 30th Anniversary Stingray yesterday. Fret slots were a little shallow making playing around the first three frets hard on the tendons but with some careful use of the nut files and a tweak of the truss rod, this bass is amazing. Almost plays itself. I should have bought a stingray years ago, would have saved me alot of GAS money

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/markmojo/6111742078/"][/url]
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/markmojo/6111742078/"]Stingray 1[/url] by [url="http://www.flickr.com/people/markmojo/"]markmojo[/url], on Flickr[/quote]

Wow.

I'm not normally a fan of Stingray aesthetics but that one is gorgeous. They should do more in fun colours :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1361938' date='Sep 4 2011, 05:24 PM']I thought this might happen Mart! You have to dip your toe I guess and hopefully the replacement Ray will be one you feel can use instead of worrying about knocking it about, I heard bassman is thinking of doing a home relic job on it anyway :)[/quote]

Cant be any worse than my drunken attack on my Ray.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='1364124' date='Sep 6 2011, 02:36 PM']I love the 5 strings,just perfect for me. I've owned a lot of basses (Bongos,Spectors,G&L,Warwick,Status etc) but never been more settled than I am now with a pair of SR5s.[/quote]
This is why Im not planning on selling/trading my fiver to try other fivers, It must be an also ran rather than trying to replace my already great Ray5 after. I like lots of other brand 5's atm but Im still being drawn to the ClassicRay5 :)

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that made me stop using my 63 P-bass was a Ray. Just a logical extension of Leo's original classic,
what's not to like? I love MM basses - got 2 Rays and also a Sub and they're all brill. Can't ever see me using anything
else as my No.1 go to bass really. And they look ace......

[quote name='Hutton' post='1374726' date='Sep 15 2011, 06:21 PM']Does that mean you'll be moving on to a G&L? :)[/quote]
Ain't no bad thing. :)

Although generally speaking G&L isn't an extended development of Musicman but rather a separate offshoot caused by the fact that G&L IS a direct evolution of the original Fenders while MM was more of a whole new approach.