Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Player of the 00ties

teen t-shirt

Chancellor, James, Zender, Myung were all 90s (Mike Dirnt's technically 80s!) - and I saw Muse supporting Skunk Anansie in 1999...

Tricky decade so far, there have been some great new bands, but no bassist has yet made much of an impression on me.

I was going to say Martin Mendez from Opeth - but he first recorded with them in '99.

/Gives up. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='157882' date='Mar 15 2008, 10:43 AM']Chancellor, James, Zender, Myung were all 90s (Mike Dirnt's technically 80s!) - and I saw Muse supporting Skunk Anansie in 1999...

Tricky decade so far, there have been some great new bands, but no bassist has yet made much of an impression on me.

I was going to say Martin Mendez from Opeth - but he first recorded with them in '99.

/Gives up. :)

Jon.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking Jon. There don't really seem to have been any real bass heroes this decade - plenty of well regarded players that play in successful bands, but no-one that Joe Public would recognise as a stand out member of the band in the way Burnell or Flea were. Maybe it accounts why bass players seem to be a bit thinner on the ground now, judging by the ammount of 'bass player wanted' ads in the classifieds.

Bryan Beller-He did some great work in the '90's with 'Z',but has really kicked ass with Mike Keneally an Steve Vai over the last few years. Bryan's solo album 'View' is the best bassist-lead album for years and his column in 'Bass Player' is worth the price of the magazine.