Why become a member? ×

What's too big (cabs)

lojo

We all know that gigs with decent in house or hired in pa support mean that cabs can be dispensed with, but for some small function rooms and pub gigs, where we really rely on cabs, or use a trickle into the pa, my question is this..

If you walked in, what size cab would have you thinking "that's way over the top"

I once played a small pub that doesn't even have a stage, I had to stand sideways most of the gig to avoid the guitarist/singer (in a four piece). I was using my 1080w 2x4x10 stack.

To be fair though, it was the first gig after my 2nd cab arrived, so I wanted to test it out and we play the venue regularly, so I had a laugh with the sound engineer about it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1353984' date='Aug 27 2011, 11:32 PM']Still not grasping this, I don't see there is a top, let alone getting over it.

[/quote]

Then that might well be your answer , that you wouldn't see any size or amount of cabs as over the top?

Just asking for personal and even non technical reactions

I went to see a band recently, where the bassist had a full Ampeg stack, valve head, 410 & 115. But, they weren`t overly loud. You could talk - albeit loudly - whilst they were playing, and we were only some 20 feet away from them.

So it depends really. If they`d been ridiculously loud, I`d have thought his stack over the top, but as it was just getting him the sound he likes, well his choice - he has roadies by the way.

The smaller places, I use 2x112 and for larger, I use 2x210 which I far prefer.

The amp is 550 into 4 ohms. That rig will do a stage 30x16 without decent monitors, ie bass in them.
It will also do small halls when the P.A decides to go bass-light :)

What I consider over the top, is a bass rig that drowns the drums when the band is in full flow..and the drums are mic'd, but then some people
don't have a clue about seperation and are probably worse than deaf.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1354119' date='Aug 28 2011, 09:45 AM']I think we are getting to; it’s the individual’s use of the volume control that matters. I would be happy to see a large rig as then I know I have the head room. You don’t have to use it all.[/quote]

Spot on.It's about headrom and dispersal of sound,not excessive volume. I have just played a small room with no stage using a Peavey MK.6 with two 1X15" cabs,and had plenty of compliments about the sound.And if I'd had room in the car,I'd have taken the wardrobe sized Marshall 1x18" W cab as well.

[quote]...What's too big?...[/quote]
I don't think that's the right question. Is it powerful enough, how many speakers and how heavy is it would be the 3 questions that I'd ask. Would it fit in the car would be the last question I'd think of.

If there was an 810 that weighed 40 lbs I'd buy it. As it is I need each lift to be 40lbs or less and I want a combined total of speakerage of between 600 watts and 1000 watts. And I won't be relying on any cab specs for this info!!!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1354651' date='Aug 28 2011, 07:14 PM']Your rig is too big, if there's no room left on stage for you too stand. Otherwise use what you want and remember that the [b]volume control goes down [/b]as well as up.[/quote]

I have heard this rumoured before about volume.

I don't really believe it myself :)

[quote name='BigRedX' date='Aug 28 2011, 07:14 PM']the volume control goes down as well as up.[/quote]
if everyone understood this then the world would be a better place.

I reckon I'd think it was too much with anything over a 4x10 at a pub gig. Obviously depends on the size of pub and the pa support.