Why become a member? ×

Badass II

desmondpot

In my experience of having had Badasses & Gotohs, they do make adjustments easier.

Re sound, what I found was that they seem to tighten up the lows, and make the highs crisper, and also reduce mids slightly. Kind of hi-fi-ing the sound.

So in my view, they take away from the Precision what it`s good at, but emphasise what the Jazz is good at.

I'd heard that before Lozz which is another reason I've not bothered putting one on my precision. It looks like BAIII's are getting hard to come by anyway. Also my P is not particularly 'standard' as it's a US deluxe with the extra MM type pickup and is active with bass, treble and mid range boosts all available so it's enough of a beast to tame as it is without throwing a BA into the mix as well!

[quote name='KevB' post='1351059' date='Aug 25 2011, 10:04 AM']My Fenders are both string thru so if I got one for the precision it'd be BAIII anyway, none of that messing about with files. I'm not convinced replacing the BBOT on it would make that much difference anyway even though I have a BA on my jazz.[/quote]
Messing about with files is the whole point of fitting a replacement bridge on a Fender, because it means you have a chance of getting the strings to line up with the pickup pole pieces and run parallel to the sides of the neck.

The Badass does make a difference to the sound compared with the BBT. Whether or not it is better is entirely subjective.

Very good price, compared to the last years hike's.

I had a 2 on my precision, went back to the original and it sounds great. Have a 2 on my Jazz and it's a fantastic mod and have a 1 on my 4001 (not all can take these without a router, bad ) and it sings, massive improvement.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1351079' date='Aug 25 2011, 10:30 AM']Messing about with files is the whole point of fitting a replacement bridge on a Fender, because it means you have a chance of getting the strings to line up with the pickup pole pieces and run parallel to the sides of the neck.

The Badass does make a difference to the sound compared with the BBT. Whether or not it is better is entirely subjective.[/quote]
I didn't have any problems lining up the strings with the pre cut BAIII as there are 3 grooves cut into each saddle which gave enough choice for me but maybe I was just lucky. They provided a second set of uncut saddles with the BAIII anyway for those that preferred to DIY.

[quote name='KevB' post='1351117' date='Aug 25 2011, 11:06 AM']I didn't have any problems lining up the strings with the pre cut BAIII as there are 3 grooves cut into each saddle which gave enough choice for me but maybe I was just lucky. They provided a second set of uncut saddles with the BAIII anyway for those that preferred to DIY.[/quote]
Well it was essential on the one Fender-style bass that I've owned. The alternative would have been to fill the screw holes for the old bridge and then spend several hours experimenting with neck and bridge placement to get everything lining up to my satisfaction.

[quote name='charic' post='1351037' date='Aug 25 2011, 09:40 AM']I preferred that BAII to my P MIM although I have to say it is quite difficult to palm mute while using a BAII[/quote]

Why is it difficult to palm mute using a Badass II? I've got two basses fitted with them and don't find any difference.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1351033' date='Aug 25 2011, 09:35 AM']None of these different bridges is actually "better". They are just different. If you're not happy with the bridge on your bass then try some others.

On my Kramer KXB-10 the Badass Bridge is an improvement over the factory fitted BBT because it allows me to get the string spacing right with respect to the sides of the neck. On another bass it might be an entirely different story.[/quote]

oh, this sort of thing I'm entirely happy about.

I can see how different designs may be more convenient/useful than others from a particular point of view. That's ok.

But when you keep reading about how the "tone" improves significantly, and teh sustain etc... and that always seemed a bit "overenthusiastically exaggerated" to me :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1351176' date='Aug 25 2011, 11:50 AM']oh, this sort of thing I'm entirely happy about.

I can see how different designs may be more convenient/useful than others from a particular point of view. That's ok.

But when you keep reading about how the "tone" improves significantly, and teh sustain etc... and that always seemed a bit "overenthusiastically exaggerated" to me :)[/quote]
The tone is different from the BBT to Badass. It's only an "improvement" if you like it though

[quote name='Doddy' post='1351138' date='Aug 25 2011, 11:25 AM']Why is it difficult to palm mute using a Badass II? I've got two basses fitted with them and don't find any difference.[/quote]

I can't explain why tbh and palm muting is not something I have ever been great at. Although I meant to say it is MORE difficult rather than it is difficult :)

I've had a Badass 2 on my Precision for about 30 years. Never noticed any improvement in sound.

IMV The talk of [i][b]greatly[/b] improved sustain and sound [/i]is "geek speak" for those with a spectrum analyser :)

The only reason to replace the original bridge is A Badass looks better than a bit of bent tin, and, of course, ease of adjustment.

There are better more substantial bridges around today, offering even easier adjustments, but the fact is Badass were one of the first, so there is an element of nostalgia connected to the name.

The Badass III on my jazz is great. I like it a lot. My favourite bridge is the 2 Tek bridge which i have on a Hamer bass. One that i'd really like though is one that can offer 3 way adjustment - up down for action, forwards and back for intonation and also i'd like one to alter the string spacing left or right. In addition i'd like it to do that without having to drill new holes in the body of a P Bass.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1351446' date='Aug 25 2011, 03:53 PM']The Badass III on my jazz is great. I like it a lot. My favourite bridge is the 2 Tek bridge which i have on a Hamer bass. One that i'd really like though is one that can offer 3 way adjustment - up down for action, forwards and back for intonation and also i'd like one to alter the string spacing left or right. In addition i'd like it to do that without having to drill new holes in the body of a P Bass.[/quote]

Hipshot do a direct fender replacement that will do all that for you. It is not cheap.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1351176' date='Aug 25 2011, 11:50 AM']oh, this sort of thing I'm entirely happy about.

But when you keep reading about how the "tone" improves significantly, and teh sustain etc... and that always seemed a bit "overenthusiastically exaggerated" to me :)[/quote]
Made my Jazz ring out much nicer mate. I love the contradictions on bass chat, we hear this thing about the bass needing a good core tone as it's easier to take something away than to add it after yet the BA does exactly that to a dead Fender with it's naff bbot, You can finish a note earlier if you want and a +1 for having no trouble palm muting with one either.

It might not be what you want but the fact is they do make a difference :)