Why become a member? ×

Necks.

Marvin

I currently own two basses with what would probably be described as the polar opposite characteristics when it comes to necks.

The Ibanez SR is known for being about as skinny as you can get. However, the Rockbass Corvette I've got has a very chunky neck. Compared to the Ibanez it feels like a mighty oak tree trunk.

I originally bought the Ibanez as I thought it would be better to start on something with a small neck, in that it would be easier to play. And to an extent it is. However, after buying the Rockbass I find that in fact a bigger neck has made my fretting hand a little more disciplined. I find I can be quite lazy on the Ibanez.

Unfortunately this hasn't resolved which sort of neck I prefer though. I quite like both. :)

The thing I notice is the profile, or depth, rather than the width.

It took me a while to get used to my Gibson Grabber - the profile is D-shaped, and gets progressively deeper as you move higher. It was quite a leap when I first got it.

I think, unless you have specific needs or requirements (e.g. short fingers, cramping, etc) then it's all about preference - and I'll happily jump from Spector to Lakland J without really resolving which neck I prefer.

Think I'll join you in that camp! :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1337801' date='Aug 12 2011, 03:48 PM']I find I can be quite lazy on the Ibanez.[/quote]

Funny you should say that actually.
In another thread about the SR series I did actually consider mentioning that they encourage 'sloppy' playing, but decided it was probably just me, and didn't.

When I got my 505 I played it for absolutely everything for a couple of months and really had to make a concious effort to get back to a more disciplined approach when I picked up my JB again.
Once you've realised you've become sloppy and tightened up again it's not a problem, but my 505 certainly enticed me for a little while... :)

The thickness isn't an issue for me but I like wide string spacing, 19mm is good, if I can get it, but much narrower and I get claustrophobic.

The Lakland is perfect and the Lull and Wal (17-18mm?) are about a small as I can comfortably go.

I thought that string spacing was what annoyed me about Jazz necks, but it turned out to be a combination of neck profile and width that did it. I can do Jazz width if the neck is suitably chunky front to back - the Warwick Rockbass Corvette taught me that - but I still prefer a chunky P sized neck any day.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1337813' date='Aug 12 2011, 03:54 PM']I'm fairly immune to neck profiles..[/quote]

Glad someone else is, thought I was odd! Played a 5 string P Bass the other day, asked if it had a J style neck and was shown it next to the Jazz - big difference and I didn't really notice.

I jump between Jazz and Precision and though i am concious of the difference it doesn't seem to affect the playability of each bass for me. A bass either feels right or it doesn't but it tends to be more a combination of string spacing, string height and neck profile that determine playability than just the neck profile itself.

[quote name='icastle' post='1337841' date='Aug 12 2011, 04:21 PM']Funny you should say that actually.
In another thread about the SR series I did actually consider mentioning that they encourage 'sloppy' playing, but decided it was probably just me, and didn't.

When I got my 505 I played it for absolutely everything for a couple of months and really had to make a concious effort to get back to a more disciplined approach when I picked up my JB again.
Once you've realised you've become sloppy and tightened up again it's not a problem, but my 505 certainly enticed me for a little while... :)[/quote]

Until I bought the Rockbass, I thought the same, that is was just me. And like you say once you've realised you can pull yourself back to a more disciplined way of playing.

You do see an awful lot of I'm a Jazz man or P-man because of the neck on here sometimes. I think I've found if it feels right then it's just right.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1337845' date='Aug 12 2011, 04:23 PM']I loved that Corvette neck, what a great little bass that is.[/quote]

I must admit when I first unpacked it I thought I'd bought half a timber yard the amount of wood in that neck. However, despite it's chunkyness it's incredibly playable.
And a cracking little bass.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1337813' date='Aug 12 2011, 03:54 PM']I'm fairly immune to neck profiles..[/quote]

Yep, me too, have a couple of skinny ones and a couple of fat ones, and don't even notice once I'm playing them.
Same with guitar, only realise how different they feel when I put them in a funny tuning and slap a capo on, have to tighten it all the way for my SG, and take it back all the way out for my old Tele. Don't notice at all when I'm playing them.

I think really with bass necks you don't want one that is so thin you can see it's ribs but also at the same time not so fat that you start getting folds and orange peel skin.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1338143' date='Aug 12 2011, 08:31 PM']What's wrong with being a lefty liberal namby pamby :lol: well at least until some kids start rioting and looting stuff from shops, then i go into a hulk-like murderous rage. :) I'm back to normal now though :)[/quote]

That was short lived EH :D

Hooray! I'm not alone!

From Ibanez SRX 4 string to Warwick Streamer LX6, I've never really been bothered.
There was an Epiphone Les Paul that I found bothersome once, but that doesn't count, does it? :)

Almost gave a +1 to being immune to neck profiles, but reflected a bit a realised that some basses (and guitars) can influence the nature and content of my playing when playing alone.
One bass inspires a something more like a jazz style, playing fairly light and quick, while another will inspire a more groove orientated mood.

Neck profile is one factor of many such as acton (and fret buzz), resonance etc

Just my observations

I'm not that bothered about neck profiles, though there are a few necks I don't like, such as the baseball bat efforts of some post 2000 Warwicks and anything that feels slow and clubby like a P bass or a Gibson.

I've found the asymmetrical neck of my ACG Harlot S Type is a real joy. That's something special. And I love my Status Series II neck, quite slim abd aided by the effortlessly low action of the bass.

I can actually be quite fussy over neck profiles, I've definitely sold basses in the past because I dislike the necks on them. I own two basses with Precision necks, and an Ibanez SR500, and I really like them both, even though they're on opposite ends of the scale. I don't like Jazz bass necks, weirdly.