Why become a member? ×

Shuker Sadowsky killer....?

Pete1967

Now then...

I've wanted a Sadowky for years (about 20 actually) but the price of an NYC... eech! So, after much thought I've commissioned Jon to make me something that I'm hoping will be better than a Sadowsky :)

I already have three of Jon's basses (one of which may well be up for sale soon!) so I know what I'm going to get quality wise and I'm completely realistic about the delivery time. I doubt there will be a quick update to this thread, but I'll add as and when.

Here's the spec... have I missed anything crucial?:

5 string
34" scale
24 fret
medium fretwire
laminated maple neck. 3 piece maple with flamed maple core and black 0.5mm veneers between the joints
two way truss rod, adjustment at heel
carbon fibre reinforcement
ziricote f/board
abalone face dots
2mm white side dots
brass nut
Shuker Jazz headstock signed and dated on rear
quilted head veneer
headstock face sprayed to match body, gloss
satin neck lacquer
hipshot ultralite tuners (elephant ears) arranged 4 + 1

Swamp ash body - Shuker custom jazz body shape with deeper cut away to upper access, slightly longer top horn
master grade quilted maple drop top
tiger eye stain
polyester basecoat
tight burst to candy brown back
gloss topcoat
Recessed truss rod adjuster cover in quilt maple sprayed to match top
Flip top battery box
Plastic control cavity cover

Dimarzio ultrajazz 5 pickups
70’s pickup spacing
Sadowsky preamp + VTC

One piece Hipshot A style or ABM bridge, brass, 18mm spacings
Schaller straplocks

Black hardware

Here a couple of concept pics I sent to Jon. One for visuals and the other a mock up of the body shape (by me in Photoshop, badly, based on one of his existing basses)
[attachment=86820:Tiger_Angle_lg.jpg]
[attachment=86821:PBConcept1.jpg]

Edited by Pete1967

• 11 months later...

First update

I've been really relaxed about this build, mainly because I've been so effing busy at work I haven't had time to think about it... so it doesn't feel like a long wait. Anyroad up, I chose the quilt top a few weeks ago when I was over there and since then I've had a few mails with Jon and he tells me the body is complete and stained, and the neck is made up and ready for routing - but I've changed the goalposts on him a bit by changing the fretboard to BEM. I'm shall see him on the 28th so hopefully I'll take some pics.

FWIW I had a long chat with Jon when I saw him the other week and I think he realises he's taken some stick about delivery times and he's actively working to reduce them. IMO whatever the delivery time, his instruments are worth it.

P

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1343048075' post='1744222']
@ LukeTessie - Whoa! Is he waiting for the tree to grow?! Have you phoned him? I'd be at his door tbh...
[/quote]

1 year - meh! mine took over 2 years, well worth the wait though :)

@macdaddy - pics should be posted this weekend. I'm at Jon's on Saturday - iPhone in hand :)
@LukeTessie - I think you're right and I agree re rushing. So far nothing has persuaded me they're not worth the wait, the quality:price ratio is astounding.

[quote name='Pete1967' timestamp='1343240005' post='1747646']
@macdaddy - pics should be posted this weekend. I'm at Jon's on Saturday - iPhone in hand :)
@LukeTessie - I think you're right and I agree re rushing. So far nothing has persuaded me they're not worth the wait, the quality:price ratio is astounding.
[/quote]

It's also worth noting that Jon had been going through a bit of a rough patch health-wise last year that substantially added to the build time. He doesn't mind me saying this, though the details are unnecessary - it was enough to slow him right down though. He tried his best to keep on top of orders but had to put a few builds back a bit. He's certainly done a brilliant job at catching up with the work load and I still have every confidence in him and the quality of his work, that..well, it speaks for itself. Amazing!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1343240533' post='1747661']
It's also worth noting that Jon had been going through a bit of a rough patch health-wise last year that substantially added to the build time. He doesn't mind me saying this, though the details are unnecessary - it was enough to slow him right down though. He tried his best to keep on top of orders but had to put a few builds back a bit. He's certainly done a brilliant job at catching up with the work load and I still have every confidence in him and the quality of his work, that..well, it speaks for itself. Amazing!
[/quote]

He has done an excellent job!

@Pete1967 if you get a chance would you mind taking a pic of mine too?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1343306458' post='1748625']
" have I missed anything crucial?"

It may be bit late to enquire if you are having the body 'chambered' a la Sadowsky....?
[/quote]

TBH I don't know! I told Jon I wanted is sub 8lb and he said no problem - so I've left the mechanics of the weight and balance to him.

• 1 month later...