Why become a member? ×

Oh no my heads come off!

d-basser

Came back from 2000 trees last week and I just opened my back to find the head has snapped off my acoustic bass! My own stupid fault for not taking the hard case but we couldn't quite squeeze it in the car with all the band gear and Glasgow to Gloucestershire is an uncomfortable enough journey as it is. Do you think the damage is fixable? Thinking about trying it myself with the help of repair books and a helpful tech in the engineering department at uni rather than paying too much since the bass is a cheap Thomann job and not worth a big repair bill.

Edited by d-basser

Ouch! Some luthiers have amazing tricks up their sleeves, but a break across the grain like that is going to be more than difficult to repair to the required strength (not to mention expensive) If it's bolt-on, I'd say a replacement neck (if you can get one to fit the pocket) is the way to go. An e-mail to the manufacturer with pics couldn't do any harm, they may send you a replacement neck out of pity!

Edit - just noticed it's an acoustic bass - so replacement neck is out. Sorry, looks like a write-off

Edited by Roland Rock

Looking at the darkness of the wood, it looks like it was a fault in the neck to begin with.

Normally when they break (my youngest daughter had her classical guitar go) they have multiple splinters.

Yours looks very straight with only one shard.

Probably fixable but on a cheap bass (with those stresses) maybe not worth it.

Get a luthier to have a look :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1316437' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:45 PM']Doesn't really matter, you put it back together with an angled wooden insert along the back of it. Good as new.
The tough part is hiding the join.[/quote]

MB1. :)
and the tooth and claw marks.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1316630' date='Jul 26 2011, 09:15 AM']Id be tempted to either buy a new one, or use parts off that one to 'make' another (although Im guessing this might not be possible?!).

What was the price when you bought it?

Anything under about £150 and id just not bother.[/quote]

They are bout £125, I actually didn't pay anything for it, swapped it for an old battered peavey cabinet I couldn't off load couple of years back, so doesn't owe me much. Thinking this might be the perfect excuse to buy a 5 string acoustic instead.

[quote name='d-basser' post='1316713' date='Jul 26 2011, 10:16 AM']They are bout £125, I actually didn't pay anything for it, swapped it for an old battered peavey cabinet I couldn't off load couple of years back, so doesn't owe me much. Thinking this might be the perfect excuse to buy a 5 string acoustic instead.[/quote]

see..that is what we wanted to hear. :) :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1316781' date='Jul 26 2011, 11:04 AM']Araldite, clamps, leave it for a bit.

If it doesn't work then follow some of the other advice on here instead. Better to try and fail than never try at all... maybe :)[/quote]
True, only once he's tried and failed at this (you are never going to do this without the right tools), he's buggered up the chance at getting it done properly or at least doubled the costs. :)

Get a quote before going any further !!!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1316892' date='Jul 26 2011, 12:26 PM']True, only once he's tried and failed at this (you are never going to do this without the right tools), he's buggered up the chance at getting it done properly or at least doubled the costs. :)

Get a quote before going any further !!![/quote]

Not as much fun though, especially if the other option is to skip it or sell it for parts. :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1316911' date='Jul 26 2011, 12:41 PM']Not as much fun though, especially if the other option is to skip it or sell it for parts. :)[/quote]
Haha I suppose so. :)

The thing we're losing sight of here though is that it's not just a case of gluing it back together (that will never work). This job requires some woodworking skills.