Why become a member? ×

Oh no my heads come off!

d-basser

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1316958' date='Jul 26 2011, 01:07 PM']If it were mine I'd do this.....

Horses for courses though eh. :)[/quote]

:) Fair point, if the OP has the skills and tools (also time and inclination!) to do that to a Harley Benton that's probably the best option. Looks like a fir bit of work though.

There's a nice looking Vintage acoustic with hard case for sale in the FS section for £90 though, so you have to wonder if it's worth it or not?

After all, the end result would still be a low end instrument with hardly any resale value

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1316781' date='Jul 26 2011, 11:04 AM']Araldite, clamps, leave it for a bit.

If it doesn't work then follow some of the other advice on here instead. Better to try and fail than never try at all... maybe :lol:[/quote]

MB1. :)
Are we still talking about the broken bass here? :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1317094' date='Jul 26 2011, 02:16 PM']Surely though if it has broken along the scarf joint, it's the glue that has let go and some decent glue will sort it??

(Only assuming as it looks so clean except for the veneer on the headstock. )[/quote]
Possibly, it's hard to tell from that angle but the bit jutting out from next to the nut looks like the tip of the joint to me.

House insurance? I'm not one of these that claim all the time in fact I never have (touch wood) but could be worth a look. Word of caution though I have heard of many people trying to claim way over the odds for basses/guitars presuming the girl at the insurance company can't tell a Tokai from Gibson only to find the claims handlers husband is a nerd on a forum with an obsession for Stingrays :) A stolen Mark Hoppus Jazz does not get you a USA Jazz in return, Fail!

Right, saving funds for a new bass. Swithering between a new acoustic or a cheap EUB since the one I broke was fretless and was always meant to sound double bassy.
Might still try and fix the Harley Benton myself at some point, nothing to lose but time, and if that fails I am sure I can smash it for some super cliche band pics :)

Is it MDF? That's what my first thoughts was form the pics. :)

How about putting "No More Nails" to the test? I can see it lasting for quite a bit & then one gig, mid song, Poinnnnngg > smack > Ouch! :)

It wouldn't be worth claiming for a £125 bass on your home insurance. Excess & next years increase would cost more than a new HB bass!

It isn't MDF, by the looks of it its cheap mahogany or similar (not an expert on woods but it is that style of grain). Might try gluing and clamping then adding splines as recommended in the "Guitar Player Repair Guide" but I don't hold out a lot of hope. Going to get a Stagg EDB to replace it anyhow since all this was ever meant to do was sound a bit double bassy.