Why become a member? ×

Bass strap height...

GBass

When I was slim (all too long ago) I seemed to be eternally looking for the longest strap I could find. Not any more though.

When I sit I have my legs spread quite far apart so that the Bass hangs relatively low, rather than on my lap. But, as I'm rather on the larger side with a massive gut, I have to have the Bass higher when standing else my stomach pushes the top forwards and the Bass almost faces the floor.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1316356' date='Jul 25 2011, 09:49 PM']Low

I`ve got a bad shoulder, and I find playing with my arm at full length is much more comfortable. I`d actually like to be able to play it at the same height as when sitting down, as it`s much easier for my fretting hand like that, but even 10 mins of that and my shoulder hurts summat rotten, so it`s low slung and cool looking.[/quote]

This.

Also, it is written that if you are a chap and unable to play your guitar/bass naked without breaking indecent exposure laws your instrument is either too high or too low to not look like the very thing you should be covering. :)
Especially if you have a Ric or a Thunderbird.

My strap height has risen as I've got older...

When I was a teenager, I had my bass slung around my knees because as we all know, it makes you play better and look bad a$$.

Now, I tend to adjust the strap while seated and play at the same height when standing - i.e. mid-to-high position, just above my waist - but keen to avoid the super-high, 'moob shelf' look as favoured by some middle-aged players.

Interesting that someone noted Robert Trujillo earlier.. that guy has to play the lowest slung bass I've ever seen. He's going to have a bad back if he's not careful - tut, tut!

i wear my bass pretty high so everything stays in the same place whether i'm playing seated or standing. Do occasionally get stick for it when playing the rock but just find it much easier. Sometimes if its a band where image counts then i'll sling it down low, which i prefer for chucking it about onstage but my left hand loses a lot of dexterity i find as it has to bend round more.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1316712' date='Jul 26 2011, 10:14 AM']This.

Also, it is written that if you are a chap and unable to play your guitar/bass naked without breaking indecent exposure laws your instrument is either too high or too low to not look like the very thing you should be covering. :)
Especially if you have a Ric or a Thunderbird.[/quote]

Some might say you're trying to compensate for possible inadequacies by placing your instrument at said height :)