Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003

Guest MoJo

[quote name='hairyhaw' post='1299963' date='Jul 11 2011, 02:58 PM']The gubbins up at the picking end of a 4003 has always been a pain in the arse, but you kind of learn to compensate. Yes, it is pretty poorly designed, but bear in mind it was designed almost half a century ago - and the demand is still there for that design so there is no reason for them to change. They've been doing the 4004 for donkeys - it seems to eliminate most of the above problems with regard to tail lift, pickup design etc but I don't think they shift anywhere near the same amount of units as 4003's.[/quote]

This is true. John Hall himself has said that there are things he'd change about the 4003 but the fans won't have it, and as a member of RRF for many years I'd say he's probably right. Thing is, some of the idiosyncracies contribute to the whole package. A 4004 falls between 2 stools for me.

[quote]...bear in mind it was designed almost half a century ago...[/quote]
[Cough]Fender - designed while Mr Hall was still in nappies, generally unchanged over the last 60 years but still designed well from the start. Simple, functional, effective.
There are plenty of 'fans' that would like to see design improvements implemented in the Rickenbacker range of basses and guitars, but they get ostracised by the purists and fanatics so soon lose their standing in the Ric community :)
They later get picked up by the EBBM community who are equally fanatical about their instruments.

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1300084' date='Jul 11 2011, 04:46 PM'][Cough]Fender - designed while Mr Hall was still in nappies, generally unchanged over the last 60 years but still designed well from the start. Simple, functional, effective.
There are plenty of 'fans' that would like to see design improvements implemented in the Rickenbacker range of basses and guitars, but they get ostracised by the purists and fanatics so soon lose their standing in the Ric community :)
They later get picked up by the EBBM community who are equally fanatical about their instruments.[/quote]

The thing is, design is, or should be, holistic. A Ric is a Ric because of every part of it, including its idiosyncrasies. Same goes for Gretsch. You wouldn't want to stick a Floyd Rose on a Gretsch, even if it did work better, because it doesn't belong. Some of my favourite cars are '60s cars; AC Cobra, Mustang, E-Type. I love '50s American cars too, chrome, wings and all. Again, you could argue there are plenty of modern cars that outperform them. But I'd sooner have an AC Cobra, '60s Mustang or E-Type than any modern supercar I can think of. Why? Because they are what they are.

I've never had issues with Ric paint other than on the notorious CSs. I've never had truss rod issues except where they've been adjusted by someone who doesn't know how to adjust them. I've never had tail lift. I don't have a problem with the bridge or binding. I've never had any other issues beyond what you'd expect from any other make. So for me they work fine exactly as they are. If they generally don't work for someone, I can only suggest they try to find something else that does, or mod accordingly.

[quote name='watchman' post='1299545' date='Jul 11 2011, 05:01 AM']414s are a great bit of kit, and cheap with it.[/quote]

[quote name='4000' post='1300167' date='Jul 11 2011, 06:43 PM']The thing is, design is, or should be, holistic. A Ric is a Ric because of every part of it, including its idiosyncrasies. Same goes for Gretsch. You wouldn't want to stick a Floyd Rose on a Gretsch, even if it did work better, because it doesn't belong. Some of my favourite cars are '60s cars; AC Cobra, Mustang, E-Type. I love '50s American cars too, chrome, wings and all. Again, you could argue there are plenty of modern cars that outperform them. But I'd sooner have an AC Cobra, '60s Mustang or E-Type than any modern supercar I can think of. Why? Because they are what they are.

I've never had issues with Ric paint other than on the notorious CSs. I've never had truss rod issues except where they've been adjusted by someone who doesn't know how to adjust them. I've never had tail lift. I don't have a problem with the bridge or binding. I've never had any other issues beyond what you'd expect from any other make. So for me they work fine exactly as they are. If they generally don't work for someone, I can only suggest they try to find something else that does, or mod accordingly.[/quote]

Funny, I was just about to reply to the first post above that comparing a Ric to a Yammy is like comparing an Alfa to a VW. Objective comparisons are easy, but they break down when you get subjective. Shaun's analogy is spot on; no-one drives a classic car (or a Ric) for its efficiency or economy.

I reckon if Jeremy Clarkson played bass, he'd acknowledge the many superior qualities of the Yamaha, but he'd own a Ric :)

I had a 4003 mono with dots cant remember the manufacturing date but it was late 90s and I hated it. It looked great, but it had a sticky neck like a bass ball bat. I dont remember it sounding that great, but that will have been through at least 10 odd rigs ago. I kept it for a year after I gave up playing it because I didnt want to sell it.

Anyway, I got a hankering again when I saw someone selling a v63 but I didnt want to fall into the trap again without trying it so I tootles along to someone who had a 4001c64, and had a bit of a noodle, and really liked it. The neck was different and felt nice, the 64 doesnt have binding so there is a chamfer.

Eventually I bit the bullet and bought one, delivered to my house on the 4th of June, and I echo Chris's comments 100%

Now my guitar of choice has been a precision since the late 60s, I like the old fashioned neck with 13/4 neck, I like it because its comfortable, it cuts through in the mix, and all of mine are just right.

The Rick on the other hand has wonderfull neck access and encourages me to play a different way. I often use a pick with the rick, wheras I rarely do with any of my other basses. The pickup cover is more substantial and I can play on that no problem, I can still play fingerstyle, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

The bridge is lifting, I dont know what effect but it doesnt affect the sound or playability. The finish is flawless, as was my last one.

In a way, it should feel different, if it felt and played like a jazz or a precision, whats the point. The only change I might make is to fit the cap kit which is on a push pull pot.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1300190' date='Jul 11 2011, 07:11 PM']I reckon if Jeremy Clarkson played bass, he'd acknowledge the many superior qualities of the Yamaha, but he'd own a Ric :)[/quote]

I reckon you're probably right! :) I sense an opening for a tv prog entitled Top Bassgear.....all we need are 3 Basschatters. One tall and curmudgeonly, one with flowery shirts and a liking for beer, and one like a hamster. Any takers?

[quote name='4000' post='1300225' date='Jul 11 2011, 07:45 PM']I reckon you're probably right! :) I sense an opening for a tv prog entitled Top Bassgear.....all we need are 3 Basschatters. One tall and curmudgeonly, one with flowery shirts and a liking for beer, and one like a hamster. Any takers?[/quote]

I can do curmudgeonly, but fat and bald might not work on the tele...

• Like 1

[quote name='hairyhaw' post='1299963' date='Jul 11 2011, 02:58 PM']12SB - was this on the Rick Resource forums? If so, it was exactly the reason I stopped posting there (well, that and I found this place). A lot of the members display an almost bizarre paranoia at any sort of criticism that might result in JH withdrawing his presence there. To me, it began to border on the pathetic.[/quote]

Hhmmm... same here. There's an almost mob-like mentality with some people over there and I was personally insulted both on the members forum and by PM.
And then there's the borderline apoplexy if anyone bids against the member who has been alotted 'first dibs' by the other members! I did have a bit of fun in a bidding war with one of them on a 21-fret 4001 that popped up on German ebay and revelled in the collective freak-out as they questioned each other about the identity of the other main bidder. Choice! Anyway, the official RIC forum is a much more sane place.

But as to the 4000 series: my first two were dogs but that didn't stop me, years later, having another go and buying a whole load of them over a period of a few years.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1300240' date='Jul 11 2011, 08:00 PM']I can do curmudgeonly, but fat and bald might not work on the tele...[/quote]
I can do the 'Hamster' inappropriate-bordering-on-the-sad-longer-hair-on-middle-aged-slightly-chubby-man thing but I no longer have the Ric - does anyone want to lend me a fireglo 4001 checkerboard/toasters bass for an extended period, purely in the interests of televisualosity?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1300294' date='Jul 11 2011, 08:58 PM']I can do the 'Hamster' inappropriate-bordering-on-the-sad-longer-hair-on-middle-aged-slightly-chubby-man thing but I no longer have the Ric - does anyone want to lend me a fireglo 4001 checkerboard/toasters bass for an extended period, purely in the interests of televisualosity?[/quote]

I sold one on here a couple of years back but can't mind the buyer's name.............

Had a 4001 for my main gig axe for over ten years and then bought a 2011 4003 brand new a few months back. Its faultless, best bass ive ever played.

I think any manufacturer can have the same issues with QC - Fender particularly so... you might pick up two identical basses by the same firm but one could be a dog!

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1296623' date='Jul 7 2011, 11:31 PM']This may sound sacrilegious to the fans of the Rickenbacker 4003 (of which there are many I'm sure), but I'm giving serious thought to selling my almost new Midnight Blue 4003.

Why? Apart from the fact that the I haven't been able to play it much since the string grooves in the nut have been cut too shallow making playing anywhere below the 5th fret a real finger-aching exercise, I can't say I'm blown away by either the quality or the sound. I've been hankering after one since the 80's and now I've got one, I feel a bit disappointed. It's actually made me appreciate just how good my BB414, which cost one tenth of the price of the Ric, really is.

I have some nut files slowly making their way across the Atlantic and I'm sure that once the nut and the action have been sorted, it will play like a dream and I hope I'll be able to rekindle the relationship between us. Watch this space (or rather the Basses For Sale forum :) )[/quote]
My mate bought a Jetglo 4003 new about 10 years ago. He took it to Chandlers for a set up recently, who took £60 off him and returned it to him in a state so sh*t that the G fell off the side off the neck whenever either of us tried to play it. I told him to take it to Martin Petersen at the Bass Gallery in London, which we did together as it was a damn good excuse for a visit. Martin said he thought it needed a new nut and a proper set up. A few weeks later he picked it up and said it's by far the best it's ever played, I've also played it and I concur, it plays REALLY well now, lovely! I could even very remotely imagine owning a Rick after playing it, apart from the stupid pickup cover :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1300190' date='Jul 11 2011, 07:11 PM']I reckon if Jeremy Clarkson played bass, he'd acknowledge the many superior qualities of the Yamaha, but he'd own a Ric :lol:[/quote]
Brilliant! Wonderfully thought :) And I think you're right! As well as comparing a Fender Jazz to a Nissan Micra :)

[quote name='Stacker' post='1300321' date='Jul 11 2011, 09:22 PM']I sold one on here a couple of years back but can't mind the buyer's name.............[/quote]

'Twas me mate, & still lovin' it! :) (here's a couple of pics.....) Fabulous basses

Re "Top Bassgear" - bags I be Stig; got the face for it! :)

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1301372' date='Jul 12 2011, 05:51 PM']'Twas me mate, & still lovin' it! :) (here's a couple of pics.....) Fabulous basses

Re "Top Basschat" - bags I be Stig; got the face for it! :)[/quote]

That's her, mate! Keep on playing her!

[quote name='Stag' post='1301617' date='Jul 12 2011, 09:25 PM']Thats gorgeous Shaggy!

And I am regularly called Stig, maybe its a Rickenbacker owner thing?

:)[/quote]

:) If I was any good at photoshopping I'd have done you a Jetglo Rick-playing Stig avatar!

Back to Rick Resource; have to say I always found them friendly helpful chappies, but then again I guess I never posted anything contentious

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1301703' date='Jul 12 2011, 10:43 PM']Back to Rick Resource; have to say I always found them friendly helpful chappies, but then again I guess I never posted anything contentious[/quote]

There are some great people on RickResource. I bought two of my Ricks from members there, both of whom couldn't have been more pleasant to deal with, and a third member made a six hour plus round trip to pay for & pick up my 4080/12 from the seller in a neighbouring state and arranged its safe shipping to London.

• 12 years later...

I have owned over 40 of these basses 4001, 4001s , 4000, 4004, 4004mkll, 4003, 4003s . The truth is I have had one genuinely bad one, a 2011 4003 the E string was dead no matter what I did , just no acoustic response from it at all . The rest were pretty good basses , with Rickenbacker basses it is all down to set up !!! Get that wrong and it sounds awful, truly awful!!! Get it right you will have a fantastic playing and sounding instrument. There have been QC issues with Rickenbacker over the years on new basses, from flaking paint to dud E strings, in my experience the very current ones are the best ever , I have two 2023 models an Autumnglo special edition 4003 with checkered binding and the new truss rod system and tailpiece and bridge, got to say it the best Ric in every way , the neck profile is almost flat, the action I have set is perfect , the new truss rod works very well and has not needed any further adjustment, sounds wonderful. Also a 4003s in Fireglo again plays and sounds wonderful , the neck not as flat as the special edition 4003 but still excellent. Both had zero issues in any way and People that know me in BC know I am a fussy B. If you have ever wanted to own a Ric but a bit scared of forking out for one as they certainly are not getting any cheaper, this is the time to do it I would say . This is the best they have ever been and it would be difficult to make them any better. 

• Like 5

Yes, I had a similar experience way back, when I was stupid enough to buy a used vintage 70's Rickenbacker, cause i happened to have that kind of money at that time, and I loved how it looked, turned out I absolutely hated how it felt in my hands, and wasn't too impressed with the tone either, so it quickly ended up in a corner unplayed, as I went back to my much cheaper trusty Aria Pro II Laser Electric Classic bass.

Most expensive piece of absolute crap I ever bought!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Sad 1

Certainly one thing that I've found out, is that they are very sensitive about strings. If the bass is sounding dull or "not quite right", then try some different strings, be it a different brand or a different material (NPS/SS/etc.).

IMO, D'Addario Pro Steels work really well on a 4003, but others find other brands work for them.

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

Certainly one thing that I've found out, is that they are very sensitive about strings. If the bass is sounding dull or "not quite right", then try some different strings, be it a different brand or a different material (NPS/SS/etc.).

IMO, D'Addario Pro Steels work really well on a 4003, but others find other brands work for them.

Good point,  this has a rather old and  mis-matched set, I really should get a fresh set on!