Why become a member? ×

Jealousy

It seems a common riposte to those who express a dislike for slap bass in '80s fusion-sounding music is that they're 'jealous'. I don't like that stuff myself, I think it's pretty cheesy, but I don't think I'm jealous of slap bassists. I do wonder if the boot is sometimes on the other foot though?

When you see bassists who haven't spent hours and hours working on fringe techniques like slapping become successful, are you jealous of them? Players who perhaps don't even practice at all, but they make music that lots of people love. I would imagine it's quite galling if you've dedicated hundreds of hours of diligent practice to techniques that you'll only get to show off on Youtube.

Kim Deal for example. I think the stuff she plays is sublime, but it's obviously not technically hard to do, she's a fine example of taste over technique. Does it piss off the macho slappers to see someone like that playing to audiences of thousands all over the world when the slap players can only get gigs at trade shows?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1292268' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:11 PM']It seems a common riposte to those who express a dislike for slap bass in '80s fusion-sounding music is that they're 'jealous'. I don't like that stuff myself, I think it's pretty cheesy, but I don't think I'm jealous of slap bassists. I do wonder if the boot is sometimes on the other foot though?

When you see bassists who haven't spent hours and hours working on fringe techniques like slapping become successful, are you jealous of them? Players who perhaps don't even practice at all, but they make music that lots of people love. I would imagine it's quite galling if you've dedicated hundreds of hours of diligent practice to techniques that you'll only get to show off on Youtube.

Kim Deal for example. I think the stuff she plays is sublime, but it's obviously not technically hard to do, she's a fine example of taste over technique. Does it piss off the macho slappers to see someone like that playing to audiences of thousands all over the world when the slap players can only get gigs at trade shows?[/quote]

Kim Deal. You're a man of exquisite taste. And I mean that sincerely.

Am I jealous of slappers? No. I just don't bother listening to it much, it doesn't do a lot for me. The occasional slap or pop can add a little spice, but continuous string bashing gets annoying.

The bass lines, like the music, I love are those that 'speak' to me. I know sounds rather daft but there you go.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1292268' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:11 PM']Does it piss off the macho slappers to see someone like that playing to audiences of thousands all over the world when the slap players can only get gigs at trade shows?[/quote]
Or church gigs ......Godly types seem to like a nice bit of thumb. :)

I can't do slap bass, end of. I respect those that can do it though. But, it's one of those techniques that can be overly used to flamboyant effect. "Look at me, look at how good I am!" Ergo: Bass Day *yawn* Put two bassists in a room with an audience, one bassist doing slap, the other laying down a serious motown groove, who do you think will get the most attention? It's all gravy with very little meat :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1292284' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:22 PM']Am I jealous of slappers? No. I just don't bother listening to it much, it doesn't do a lot for me. The occasional slap or pop can add a little spice, but continuous string bashing gets annoying.[/quote]

Slap was originally (I believe) invented as a rhythmic technique. However, if I had one criticism of the Clutterbucks of this world it would be that they make little attempt to integrate melody or harmony into their "slap" playing. THis is what makes it impressive in small doses but ultimately unfulfilling to listen to.

Marcus Miller is far more melodic, and even Wooten almost plays tunes on slap bass. But the crucial element of "taste" is sometimes missing, even from these admirable virtuosi.

I don't really get jealous of musicians. Wherever they have got to, if they got there through talent and sheer hard work, good luck to them. If they just happen to have the right face in the right place at the right time, but limited talent - good luck to them.

Life's too short to say "Life's too short". But it is. Too short, that is.

Nah ! Not jealous of slappers at all, and no I cant do it, although I've never really spent any time trying.

I was playing long before slapping caught on in the 80s and although a few slapped basslines are nice, its not not my bag, simple as that.

Got a bit done to death really, every young kid working in a Guitar shop had to have his 'Demo' party piece, not many of em could play a convincing walking bass line though . Smacks a bit of just doing tricks to my mind.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1292284' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:22 PM']Kim Deal. You're a man of exquisite taste. And I mean that sincerely.[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCPy_57z4_w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCPy_57z4_w[/url]

[quote name='HADGE' post='1292314' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:41 PM']the only slappers that interesr me are those i pick up in the pubs on a saturday night[/quote]

Monday afternoon, and reading that looks like you have still got your bear goggles on from Saturday night.. :)

Garry

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1292326' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:50 PM']I've just watched this, and while I'm no Kim fan, what she says is so true :)

And yes, I'm guilty too :)[/quote]
Oh yes, indeed! And that thing about the ending.. I played with a band for a while who did that on EVERY BL***Y SONG!! It was an excuse for an extra bit of guitar widdly, nothing more.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1292268' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:11 PM']It seems a common riposte to those who express a dislike for slap bass in '80s fusion-sounding music is that they're 'jealous'. I don't like that stuff myself, I think it's pretty cheesy, but I don't think I'm jealous of slap bassists. I do wonder if the boot is sometimes on the other foot though?

Kim Deal for example. I think the stuff she plays is sublime, but it's obviously not technically hard to do, she's a fine example of taste over technique. Does it piss off the macho slappers to see someone like that playing to audiences of thousands all over the world when the slap players can only get gigs at trade shows?[/quote]

Can we name and shame? I'd pick out the chap from Feeder - some massively simple lines in, but they work in concert with the band; and they've had some good success with it.

I don't know if it's jealousy. I do stand in rehearsal when working on new stuff and think "is that it?!" when writing new material. I'm possibly being harsh on myself, but there's some condecension there, definitely.

[quote name='hubrad' post='1292351' date='Jul 4 2011, 04:06 PM']Oh yes, indeed! And that thing about the ending.. I played with a band for a while who did that on EVERY BL***Y SONG!! It was an excuse for an extra bit of guitar widdly, nothing more.[/quote]

Once or twice is good for a giggle though :)

Don't really care. The broader picture for me is that I do what I do but I learnt long long ago that talent has little to do with music in terms of whether you will get anywhere.

I've known bluffers get very good gigs and I've known very talented people not get a look-in.. so I don't equate success with
talent at all.
More than a few peole can be decent at a slap part..or sound impressive..and they really don't play well in the main...Youtube is full of it.
It can make you laugh that people will spend 90% of their time practising slap and play it 1% of the time on a gig..and even then..will over-play the part.

I like to hear a different take on a slap part...but the bandwagon will russle up the same cliches..!!

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1292326' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:50 PM']I've just watched this, and while I'm no Kim fan, what she says is so true :)

And yes, I'm guilty too :)[/quote]
Mmm, I don't see why a bassist should do as she suggests, ie. don't get involved with the dynamics. The more musical and empathic your palette, the more musical you will be. I actually think she's talking a bit of bullshit. You should do what you think is right for the song and work it until it sounds good and wholesome. Nothing wrong with a broad set of musical principles that you you identify with, but what works for the Pixies wouldn't work necessarily elsewhere.

The bassist who originally got me into bass is classed as a very laclusture bassist by some.
He may not play fast technical pieces (& have no idea if he can), but he has done some brilliant melodic & easy to play basslines.
That's Adam Clayton.
I'm not jealous of any bassist, regardless of their abilities or how famous they are. I might get frustrated that I can't double thumb like Wooton or slap like King or tap like Claypool, but that's because I haven't got their skills or put in the effort.

[quote name='silddx' post='1292371' date='Jul 4 2011, 04:20 PM']Mmm, I don't see why a bassist should do as she suggests, ie. don't get involved with the dynamics. The more musical and empathic your palette, the more musical you will be. I actually think she's talking a bit of bullshit. You should do what you think is right for the song and work it until it sounds good and wholesome. Nothing wrong with a broad set of musical principles that you you identify with, but what works for the Pixies wouldn't work necessarily elsewhere.[/quote]

I agree with this.
Also,I find it difficult to listen to a suggestion from a player who I have never heard play anything but simple crotchet/quaver basslines.For me,it's like
I've said in the past...Do you play a simple line because it's the best thing to play for what you are doing,or do you play it because it's the only
thing that you can play?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1292385' date='Jul 4 2011, 04:29 PM']I agree with this.
Also,I find it difficult to listen to a suggestion from a player who I have never heard play anything but simple crotchet/quaver basslines.For me,it's like
I've said in the past...Do you play a simple line because it's the best thing to play for what you are doing,or do you play it because it's the only
thing that you can play?[/quote]

+1 indeed..

My test for whether a slap bass line is any good is to play it fingerstyle or with a pick and see if it still works.

Several people here have quoted Freddie Washington's line to Forget Me Nots as tasteful slapping and guess what, it's just as much fun to play fingerstyle because it works for the tune rhythmically AND melodically.

A torrent of only Es, octave, and D to octave E hammer ons is a missed opportunity in most cases in my opinion.