Why become a member? ×

coolest glasto bass??

cycrowave

[quote name='simon1964' post='1284117' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:11 PM']Pretty sure that's who I was thinking of now you mention it. I retract the "reasonably" high profile :)[/quote]

I can't remember why now but I think it was something to do with a falling out with Warwick or some protest with Fender. I could be wrong though :)

I quite liked the White Bass that Beyonce's Bassist had (is she still Divinity Roxx?) looked like some kind of Warwick.

to be honest though if anyone said to me here have this bass that is like the one <Insert Bass Player Here> played at Glastonbury, I'd probably say 'sure, thanks for that, I'll be sure to use it'.

you don't get to that level of success without having some great gear.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1283705' date='Jun 27 2011, 09:07 AM']Might be a daft question and probably covered elsewhere, but why did Plan B's bassist have the logo of his bass taped over, was he otherwise in breach of an endorsement deal or something?[/quote]

He also did the same at the Isle of wight festival. I also noticed he had no pickguard on which left a large gap showing in the body.

I really like his style and his tone.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Prosebass' post='1284043' date='Jun 27 2011, 01:14 PM']Surely if the equipment gives you the sound and performance you need you just use it ?
Why does sponsorship need to come into the equation , or am I missing something ?[/quote]
I work in advertising as my day job so call me cynical, but...

If I'm in a band high-profile enough to be on the main stage at Glastonbury, then if you want your logo visible during my performance then I want something in return. That's how advertising works. And it would extend to everything not just the musical equipment I was using.

Plus there's nothing stopping me from using the gear with all the identifying marks removed.

It also bugs me when a band's CD has a whole page of the booklet given over to the band thanking various people. AFAICS most of these people are simply doing their job and have already been paid in full. There's no need to give them any free advertising - because that's what it is.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1284139' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:25 PM']I work in advertising as my day job so call me cynical, but...

If I'm in a band high-profile enough to be on the main stage at Glastonbury, then if you want your logo visible during my performance then I want something in return. That's how advertising works. And it would extend to everything not just the musical equipment I was using.

Plus there's nothing stopping me from using the gear with all the identifying marks removed.

It also bugs me when a band's CD has a whole page of the booklet given over to the band thanking various people. AFAICS most of these people are simply doing their job and have already been paid in full. There's no need to give them any free advertising - because that's what it is.[/quote]

I get the whole advertising gear on TV and stage thing but not so sure I am with you on the thanks in the CD booklet. You do build relationships with these people and sometimes its more than doing just their jobs. You are trying to get these people to work for you and hard for you and to have them on your side for next time.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1284148' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:31 PM']I get the whole advertising gear on TV and stage thing but not so sure I am with you on the thanks in the CD booklet. You do build relationships with these people and sometimes its more than doing just their jobs. You are trying to get these people to work for you and hard for you and to have them on your side for next time.[/quote]

Yep, nothing wrong with keeping people sweet, especially the ones you appreciate. Some do go on a bit though, thanking everyone they have come in to contact with over the last 30 years is a bit too much lol.

[quote name='cycrowave' post='1283599' date='Jun 27 2011, 01:37 AM']my vote goes to michael shuman's gibson ripper, also great to see mani from primal scream rocking it on an epi. the guy from the eels had the best looking p-bass imo[/quote]

+1 they're just to cool

[quote name='Linus27' post='1284148' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:31 PM']I get the whole advertising gear on TV and stage thing but not so sure I am with you on the thanks in the CD booklet. You do build relationships with these people and sometimes its more than doing just their jobs. You are trying to get these people to work for you and hard for you and to have them on your side for next time.[/quote]
But 20 years ago no-one did it, and if anything the "scene" was more rife with free-loaders and hangers on than it is now.

Fair enough if the people mentioned have gone that "extra mile" for you, but on many credits a lot of the people listed appear to be record label employees who's job it is anyway to do the best for your band - after all it's ultimately where their wage cheque come from. Fair enough if it's in your contract to mention them and you've scored an extra percentage point for it, but otherwise? No way.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1284149' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:32 PM']Yep, nothing wrong with keeping people sweet, especially the ones you appreciate. Some do go on a bit though, thanking everyone they have come in to contact with over the last 30 years is a bit too much lol.[/quote]

I'd thank you Dave in my next release. You are top of my list of people to be thank after Keira Knighley, the entire cast and crew of all 6 Star Wars films, everyone on Basschat, the entire female population of Sweden, Subaru, Fender, Musicman, Warwick, MarkBass, Genz Benz, my friends and family, anyone thats been to the Monaco GP including the King and his daughters, nieces and cousins, Guinness including past and present employees, all the ladies of riverdance including Michael Flatley, the population of Tulamore for making the finest Irish Whiskey, Finland and fellow rally fans around the world, Renault for making great racing cars, people who make nice lakes and mountains around the world so we can feel all warm and fuzzy when we visit them on our holidays and my sisters old cat called Tallula :):)

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='1284168' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:47 PM']I'd thank you Dave in my next release. You are top of my list of people to be thank after Keira Knighley, the entire cast and crew of all 6 Star Wars films, everyone on Basschat, the entire female population of Sweden, Subaru, Fender, Musicman, Warwick, MarkBass, Genz Benz, my friends and family, anyone thats been to the Monaco GP including the King and his daughters, nieces and cousins, Guinness including past and present employees, all the ladies of riverdance including Michael Flatley, the population of Tulamore for making the finest Irish Whiskey, Finland and fellow rally fans around the world, Renault for making great racing cars, people who make nice lakes and mountains around the world so we can feel all warm and fuzzy when we visit them on our holidays, my sister old cat called Tallula and then you Dave. :):)[/quote]

Well, you wouldn't be where you are now without us all.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='1284067' date='Jun 27 2011, 01:29 PM']It was a black Jazz with no pickguard, you could just see the rout between the bridge pickup and control plate, I wondered about the tape over the make, maybe it was a Squier????[/quote]

It's not a standard Jazz, it didn't have the exposed polepiece pickups. The top of the pickups had distinct rounded edges, I was watching in HD! The headstock looked like an old Fender, as did the small radius rosewood/pau ferro fingerboard. There was no scratchplate, leaving the pickup routing exposed, but couldn't see any screwholes for the scratchplate either. He was using an Ashdown amp.

I was also listening closely as I thought he was a very tasty player with lovely melodic basslines..

Edited by Busterrabbit

[quote name='Busterrabbit' post='1284201' date='Jun 27 2011, 03:18 PM']It's not a standard Jazz, it didn't have the exposed polepiece pickups. The top of the pickups had distinct rounded edges, I was watching in HD! I was also listening closely as I thought he was a very tasty player with lovely melodic basslines as a counterpoint to the rap style vocal.[/quote]

I dont know why i put Squier, i meant MIA, although like you say, the pups arent standard.
I think he normally uses a active jazz.

And yes, a very tasty player.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1284139' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:25 PM']I work in advertising as my day job so call me cynical, but...

Plus there's nothing stopping me from using the gear with all the identifying marks removed.[/quote]

In that case you are cynical.
Why should you get something in return ? surely the fact that you have chosen that gear to use is enough in itself ?
By all means cover the logo's if you wish but to expect something seems a little churlish.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1283746' date='Jun 27 2011, 09:49 AM']What was he playing?

Maybe he doesn't believe in advertising a brand that isn't doing him a deal for it? Were any other instrument logos covered up?[/quote]

Looked like a 'Boner',or Standard Jazz,minus scratchplate and as such,could only have been a Fender.I don't think they were copied by anybody.May be wrong tho'.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1284065' date='Jun 27 2011, 01:28 PM']Yeah I was thinking that also. I saw the white pickups and thought, I wonder if thats a classic. Sounded so good, it has made me put my fretted neck back on mine and take it to rehearsal tomorrow.[/quote]
Yeah that's a new ClassicRay, Nice ain't it? :)

Maybe the Plan B player (I think he's called Jodi Milliner) was going for some kind of anti-branding look, a kind of reverse logic cool thing. We're so obsessed with gear and labels - I like the idea of shunning all that and just being a kick ass player. And he was good - quite simple and punchy with a couple of really well chosen melodic flourishes at just the right time.

I'm going to vote for the sunburst Sadowsky on stage with Aloe Blacc. Very tasty!

[quote name='sambassman' post='1284116' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:10 PM']that guy form pendulum was using a warwick robert trujio sig i think. i thought that was pretty cool[/quote]

The Trujillo signature comes with a one piece bridge & detailing at the 12th fret, also the pups are black. The Pendulum bassist was using a Stage II Chrome Ender like Jamiroquai era Stu Zender played, with Warwick 2 piece bridge and chrome pups.

Edited by LLOYDWT