Why become a member? ×

When you're short of cash...

Evil Undead

...and it comes down to needing to sell gear, what I want to know is, how do people decide which instruments to sell?

For example, you have two different basses, similar resale value, and you're seriously attached to them both. But if you need to sell one to keep a roof over your head, how do you choose?

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1266700' date='Jun 12 2011, 10:13 PM']...and it comes down to needing to sell gear, what I want to know is, how do people decide which instruments to sell?

For example, you have two different basses, similar resale value, and you're seriously attached to them both. But if you need to sell one to keep a roof over your head, how do you choose?[/quote]

Which one do I gig more.

I have some really pretty basses knocking around but my MIM Jazz is my gigging bass so that stays.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1266700' date='Jun 12 2011, 09:13 PM']...and it comes down to needing to sell gear, what I want to know is, how do people decide which instruments to sell?

For example, you have two different basses, similar resale value, and you're seriously attached to them both. But if you need to sell one to keep a roof over your head, how do you choose?[/quote]

Probably some sort of mid-way decision between, which one I gig most and which one I could buy again for the same money I'm selling it for, when times get better.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1266766' date='Jun 12 2011, 10:53 PM']I see you all these answers, and raise you...

What if your favourite to play isn't necessarily the one that gets the most gig time?[/quote]
Still keep the one you gig. Presumably there's a good reason why you gig it, and on the assumption that reason isn't about to change any time soon that's the one you should keep.

I've not got to that stage yet but in these uncertain times anything could happen. The keepers would be my old mightymite P/J, because it has very little resale value but great sentimental value (my 2nd ever bass) and my Japanese Squier, because of it's versatility, great sound and also lack of resale value (early 90's Squiers don't fetch much on ebay).

Although I would be sad to see them go, the others would all be expendable.

Actually thinking about it, if the favourite I didn't gig was a '51 Precision that had been played by Elvis at Woodstock or something maybe that would make me think twice... but then again selling it would probably mean I could keep the house and have change left over for a nice '63 Jazz in arctic white that had gone all creamy and streetmap from age so still no contest...

ficelles

I'm in exactly that position now :)

I have a couple of things that are not worth selling as they are worth more to me than the resale value - cheap acoustics and my 70s parts bass. However the stuff that doesn't get played so much or has a value is what goes. I can see my all original 1978 bass going (it's museum quality) but needs must. I'm holding on but....

I don't believe there is such a thing as a keeper. If you have to, it goes. Ultimately there are loads of good instruments out there so you just have to be sensible. I could sell a load and still have a bunch left so not all bad

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1266789' date='Jun 12 2011, 11:16 PM']Value of the instrument, Erm... "quality" of the places we gig, and lack of faith in insurance companies![/quote]

Why have this lush bass if you aint gonna use it? Seems silly to me unless of course its an investment.

I have a bass so it WILL get gigged. I cant see myself ever being in a position where I would be scared to gig a bass.

Sell what's not being used :)

I would keep my fretless as it only cost £100 and I play it every day.

The orange 50w combo as it's small and has a DI.

The rest (bass wise) can go....

My trusty Fender 50th anniversary acoustic will be buried with me :)
(or the bailif can prise it from my cold dead hand!)

I either use everything i own, or its of no value to anyone because it just doesn't work any more... Ive been in this position a few times but ive always needed all the gear I own, and had to find other things to sell.

If i thought i could get any money for them, i'd sell my first few basses. The ones with pickups missing, no paint dodgy fitting hardware...

The pedals could go before anything else. Then the 810... and i'd borrow cabs...

if it got worse, the orange amp could go, DI the bass.

If not, i'll sleep on the street and use my hardcase as a roof.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1266766' date='Jun 12 2011, 10:53 PM']I see you all these answers, and raise you...

What if your favourite to play isn't necessarily the one that gets the most gig time?[/quote]

I never thought I'd be in this position but I realise I am thinking about this issue at the moment. My favourite to play is my W&T fretless, but for gigs I've returned to using my W&T fretted as I am inherently more relaxed on the fretted than I am with the fretless, just by virtue of not having to think about intonation.

It's taken a huge amount of soul searching and a few dewy eyes for me to list my stingray for sale. But it was the last in, and essentially an expensive luxury. I'm trying to be philosophical about it. :)
My jazz bass goes in the ground with me tho.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1267476' date='Jun 13 2011, 04:17 PM']It's taken a huge amount of soul searching and a few dewy eyes for me to list my stingray for sale. But it was the last in, and essentially an expensive luxury. I'm trying to be philosophical about it. :)
My jazz bass goes in the ground with me tho.[/quote]

Hey Gaf! How's it going dude?

It's horrible isn't it?

My dilemma is this. I have my much treasured Warwick Corvette $$ (in avatar) - it's the best playing, sounding and most comfortable bass I've ever owned or played. When I first played it, it was almost like meeting my wife for the first time all over again! But it is, like you say, an expensive luxury. I don't gig it because I can't stand the thought of anything happening to it (lost, broken, stolen, whatever). So it seems like a waste to just play it in the house. I have my Squier Precision (also in avatar!) which I really like a lot, and is good enough for a talentless amateur like me :)

But I can't bring myself to sell the Warwick. Even though I really need the cash. I know I'd never find another EXACTLY like it in a million years. I know all its quirks and curves.

Argh! I wish I didn't get so attached to things that are essentially just pieces of wood!

Everybody seems to be focusing on which bass they'd prefer to sell or would mind selling the least, but if, as the original question suggests, I was short of cash and needed to sell a bass, I'd also be looking at which one would be most likely to sell quickly and for a good price.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1267756' date='Jun 13 2011, 07:19 PM']Hey Gaf! How's it going dude?

It's horrible isn't it?

My dilemma is this. I have my much treasured Warwick Corvette $$ (in avatar) - it's the best playing, sounding and most comfortable bass I've ever owned or played. When I first played it, it was almost like meeting my wife for the first time all over again! But it is, like you say, an expensive luxury. [b]I don't gig it because I can't stand the thought of anything happening to it (lost, broken, stolen, whatever). [/b] So it seems like a waste to just play it in the house. I have my Squier Precision (also in avatar!) which I really like a lot, and is good enough for a talentless amateur like me :lol:

But I can't bring myself to sell the Warwick. Even though I really need the cash. I know I'd never find another EXACTLY like it in a million years. I know all its quirks and curves.

Argh! I wish I didn't get so attached to things that are essentially just pieces of wood![/quote]

If you're not using it much beyond playing in your house then it's a bit of an expensive boat anchor as far as your household finances are concerned. You'd be better off making it earn its keep, take it on the gig. Then you'll feel better about it sticking around. Look after it and you'll be fine. If it does pick up a nick or two here or there then at least they've been caused by you getting out there and playing music.

I really don't get this "scared to gig bass X" thing - I have hopefully joined a band and I'm looking forward to going round all my collection at practices and gigs. Not only are they tools, but they're damn pretty tools and I'd be kidding myself if I didn't acknowledge the showing off aspect of owning interesting basses. I'm proud of my collection. I want to get tongues wagging. I like people coming up and asking me about them. No, they're not getting a shottie, unless I know them :)

When it comes to sin, I'll take pride over avarice :)