Why become a member? ×

I've gone all 'vintage'!

molan

So I've just bought back a '72 P bass (previously owned by three different people here including Wateroftyne who knows his old Fenders!).

As some of you may have noticed I slashed the index finger of my left hand a couple of weeks ago and can't play with it at all. A couple of people suggested heavy padding and or gloves etc. to get me playing a bit earlier.

I thought some flats might also help as I'd be able to slide around easier without catching the bandage. I remembered I had a set buried away that came with an Alleva Coppolo I bought last year. So, out they came, heavy gauge bastards they are as well - maybe 50-110's and I usually play something like 40-95's.

Got it all strung up (you don't realise how much you use you bloody index finger until it's not available to you!) and then plugged it through a SansAmp Bass Driver Deluxe as loaned to me by the wonderful Phil at BassGear, into a power-amp & then straight to a single Bag End 15".

Sounds great!!

Instant old school rocky growl, I was off playing Thin Lizzy riffs (with 3 fingers, lol) within a few seconds. Fiddled a little with the tone settings but, with some volume, the P sounds great with the tone rolled about half way off and just straight into the power-amp.

No idea what this means for all those expensive 'hi-fi- basses sitting next to it on the rack. . .

Here's a little pic of the beast in question:

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1257758' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:42 PM']Yeh, well, it's yer maple board, innit? Can't go wrong wiv a maple board, mate.

:)[/quote]

+1. And perfect with the sunburst

Had a go on a P-Bass last week and now have serious GAS. Played like butter I think the saying goes.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1257779' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:54 PM']Welcome to the dark side - you'll be after a YOB P-bass next :)[/quote]

My real concern is that I now know it IS possible to get a YOB J bass - unfortunately I only know of one ever being made so that's going to be a bit tough to get hold of, lol.

Mind you, I've seen a '59 P in see through blonde and an anodised guard that still has its original hang tags. wonder how much that is valued at. . .

[quote name='molan' post='1257809' date='Jun 5 2011, 09:14 PM']My real concern is that I now know it IS possible to get a YOB J bass - unfortunately I only know of one ever being made so that's going to be a bit tough to get hold of, lol.

Mind you, I've seen a '59 P in see through blonde and an anodised guard that still has its original hang tags. wonder how much that is valued at. . .[/quote]
Herbie Flowers' J is a '59 - I doubt you can prise that from his fingers though

I will of course sell you my Herbie Flowers replica J for a suitably enormous sum :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='molan' post='1257809' date='Jun 5 2011, 09:14 PM']My real concern is that I now know it IS possible to get a YOB J bass - unfortunately I only know of one ever being made so that's going to be a bit tough to get hold of, lol.

Mind you, I've seen a '59 P in see through blonde and an anodised guard that still has its original hang tags. wonder how much that is valued at. . .[/quote]

Damn, the place with the '59 only has 2 of the buggers!

One of them has the matching headstock too.

This is the other one:

Anyone want to guess a price?

Edited by molan

I played an old USA precision with a nail for a strap button and and action like a bow and arrow the other week at a jam I occasionally go to and it sounded great. I had the chance to listen to it while others were playing and it sounded fantastic with the band as well (incidently it had roundwounds on it). Today I put a set of La bella flats on my ancient and usually disregarded P/J to record a bluesey bassline on a track I've been working on...........with a sponge mute fitted at the bridge what an instant motown sound. I think I'm going to have to get myself a Precision. After all these years of dismissing them I've been persuaded.

Anybody out there want to trade a Jazz Bass for theirs?

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1257891' date='Jun 5 2011, 10:21 PM']No :) Oh, okay. I'd guess somewhere just south of $20K...

Dreamboat stuff.[/quote]

I would have agreed but the site does have a couple of J basses listed in early $20K's and these two are price on application only!

Your '72 is the maple sibling to my '71 :)

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/848/22622810150185321817091.jpg/"][/url]

'Sixshooter' here had an excellently refinished '59 that he was selling....I almost had it last year....beautiful bass :)

Si

The only problem Barrie (setting aside the small issue of money!) is that a '59 Precision will likely have a very chunky neck (1.75 width at the nut) and IIRC you don't get on with the thicker P-bass necks - your '72 will have a B (intermediate width) neck (1.625)

I've tried a few 59's, 62's and 63's and although they have the wider neck, they all seemed much more shallow (compared to B necks), so equally comfortable after the initial adjustment to it.

Si

C = 1.75 width at the nut
B = 1.625
A = Jazz width (whatever that is...its late lol). Your '78 J will have an A neck

But as mentioned earlier, those C necks tended to be have a more shallow depth than the B necks

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1259173' date='Jun 7 2011, 12:04 AM']C = 1.75 width at the nut
B = 1.625
A = Jazz width (whatever that is...its late lol). Your '78 J will have an A neck

But as mentioned earlier, those C necks tended to be have a more shallow depth than the B necks

Si[/quote]

Thanks Si - I knew you'd have the answer :)

[quote name='molan' post='1257834' date='Jun 5 2011, 09:33 PM']Damn, the place with the '59 only has 2 of the buggers!

One of them has the matching headstock too.

This is the other one:

Anyone want to guess a price?[/quote]

Come on then people - I now have a price quote on the baby with the hang tags, anyone want to take a punt?

I'll give you a starter & say it's more than $20K (that's about £12,500). . .

I've also asked for a price on the matching headstock model (my personal fave) so let's take some estimates on that one too :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1259398' date='Jun 7 2011, 10:17 AM']This bass is completely awesome. It's naturally quite aggressive, but rolling the tone back makes it go all mellow and round.

It'll be back in my mitts one day. :)[/quote]

I'm loving that 'tone rolled back' sound at the moment :)

[quote name='molan' post='1262039' date='Jun 8 2011, 10:44 PM']Come on then people - I now have a price quote on the baby with the hang tags, anyone want to take a punt?

I'll give you a starter & say it's more than $20K (that's about £12,500). . .

I've also asked for a price on the matching headstock model (my personal fave) so let's take some estimates on that one too :)[/quote]

I'll go for £16k on the hangtags and £18k on the matching headstock....so whatever the dollar equivalents are

Si