Why become a member? ×

I've gone all 'vintage'!

molan

[quote name='molan' post='1257834' date='Jun 5 2011, 09:33 PM']Damn, the place with the '59 only has 2 of the buggers!

One of them has the matching headstock too.

This is the other one:

Anyone want to guess a price?[/quote]
I wouldn't give Norm a penny of my money.

Well, since you asked.. :) Here's the brief version.

I went in there a few years ago, while shopping for a Custom Shop Precision. Found just what I wanted. It was new, and for whatever reason the saddles were sky-high.

I asked if someone could give it a quick tweak so I could try it with a decent setup. Norm wasn't around, but the lackeys mumbled and moaned about it. I persisted (it was a $2000 bass, after all) and they eventually took it through to the back to be tinkered with.

It came back, I played it and it was lovely. So... I did the deal. My card payment went through, and one of the miserable lackeys went through the back to get the case.

They came back with a standard generic Fender case.

I explained it should have a CS case, case candy, etc (remember - it was a new bass). They went back in and came back with some other random case. After a few more attempts, I eventually gave up and asked them to cancel the payment.

A couple of weeks later when I got home, I got my statement and I'd been charged £80 because of the difference between the buying and selling exchange rate.

I rang Norm, asked if he'd meet halfway on the charges as it wasn't my fault. He responded with abuse and four-letter words.

Nice.

[quote name='Sibob' post='1262717' date='Jun 9 2011, 02:18 PM']I wasn't too far off then...just the wrong way round lol.
Would have thought the matching headstock would commanded more bunce

Si[/quote]

I think the other one is virtually 'as new' and even has all the original case candy!

[quote name='molan' post='1262764' date='Jun 9 2011, 02:56 PM']I think the other one is virtually 'as new' and even has all the original case candy![/quote]

Here's my '59, it also has all the original case candy, tweed case, original strap, original cable, '58-'59 catalog, and the original 1958 fender bass manuals (Vol1 & 2).

The blondes are rarer though, the rosewood neck version even more so, although the maple ones are nicer IMHO.

Click to enlarge...

[attachment=82281:58_bass_candy.JPG]

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1264154' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:11 PM']Here's my '59, it also has all the original case candy, tweed case, original strap, original cable, '58-'59 catalog, and the original 1958 fender bass manuals (Vol1 & 2).

The blondes are rarer though, the rosewood neck version even more so, although the maple ones are nicer IMHO.

Click to enlarge...

[attachment=82281:58_bass_candy.JPG][/quote]

That's another beauty Rick!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' post='1264161' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:17 PM']She's not alone....

[attachment=82282:Trio_of___58__s.jpg]

Gold guards are sooo hard to photograph, they never look right??[/quote]

Looks like you have too many there Rick, might as well have a bit of a clear out & sell a few off cheap :)

We're gonna have to see some photos of that one :)

Where did you find it?

[quote name='molan' post='1273126' date='Jun 17 2011, 08:11 PM']Gone even more vintage now. . .

'63 Sunburst P with rosewood board in the house :lol:

Sits rather nicely with the '72 & maple board :)[/quote]

[quote name='molan' post='1273126' date='Jun 17 2011, 08:11 PM']Gone even more vintage now. . .

'63 Sunburst P with rosewood board in the house :)[/quote]
My YOB... doesn't exist without pics though! :lol:

<edit>

Ooops pics on the next page! :)

Edited by warwickhunt

'63 Sunburst P with rosewood board in the house :)

Sits rather nicely with the '72 & maple board :)[/quote]

Glad you got it all sorted!

Looks great, nice pairing!

good on ya.

You know it's very addictive don't you? Be warned!! :lol:

[quote name='Sibob' post='1273712' date='Jun 18 2011, 01:05 PM']Very nice indeed..is it a refinish?

Si[/quote]

Yep - refin body & replacement guard & pots / knobs.

Everything else original as far as I know.

The refin is believed to be about 20 years old so it's also beginning to show some age & wear now.

[quote name='4 candles' post='1274199' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:20 PM']you are "the ultimate gear slut"!!!!

cant keep track of your purchases man

regards

Mark[/quote]

Neither can I - tried to count up my basses earlier today & totally forgot about one of them, lol.