Why become a member? ×

The Things They Say To Annoy Us.

Pete Academy

whilst playing with the techno/spacerock band a bloke danced his way up to me, looking very enthusiastic and wide-eyed (i.e. on drukqs) and asked me

"what note are you playing ?"

now - at this point in the song i'm playing a simple rhythm on bottom G, with a big filter going on and some phasing.

"G" i shout back at the fella with a smile

he bellows "i f**kin' love G !" and danced back into the audience

:)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='dc2009' post='1250598' date='May 30 2011, 06:25 PM']I don't tend to mind kit share, I will happily loan the use of my head if it means I don't need to transport all 49kg of my cab to the gig. (was also an excuse to chat to the delicious female bass player of the headline band at my last show).[/quote]

Agreed, kit share is great when you know about it and happy to lend out when someone else has a technical FUBAR. It's just finding out that (a) a promoter/venue owner has offered my kit without checking with me first.

[quote name='ahpook' post='1251940' date='May 31 2011, 07:37 PM']whilst playing with the techno/spacerock band a bloke danced his way up to me, looking very enthusiastic and wide-eyed (i.e. on drukqs)and asked me

now - at this point in the song i'm playing a simple rhythm on bottom G, with a big filter going on and some phasing.

"G" i should back at the fella with a smile

:)[/quote]

Awesome! Haha

A guy a couple years older than me comes up to me after a dep gig a couple weeks ago. The conversation went something like this:

Him "What gear is that?"
Me "It's Aguilar."
Him "I use GK."
Me "That's cool, I've heard good stuff about those. Only ever used one once though."
Him "My band toured with *some band I can't currently remember*"
Me "Oh right, that must have been great."
Him "Do you know Victor Wooten?"
Me "Yeah, I've met him a couple of times. Amazing player and great bloke."
Him "Well I learned all his stuff and now there's nothing I can't do on bass, so I got bored and haven't played in 2 years"
Me "OK I'm going to continue packing my stuff away" :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='1251940' date='May 31 2011, 07:37 PM']whilst playing with the techno/spacerock band a bloke danced his way up to me, looking very enthusiastic and wide-eyed (i.e. on drukqs)and asked me

"G" i should back at the fella with a smile

Brilliant!

[quote name='Higgie' post='1252152' date='May 31 2011, 10:36 PM']Awesome! Haha

A guy a couple years older than me comes up to me after a dep gig a couple weeks ago. The conversation went something like this:

Him "What gear is that?"
Me "It's Aguilar."
Him "I use GK."
Me "That's cool, I've heard good stuff about those. Only ever used one once though."
Him "Well I learned all his stuff and now there's nothing I can't do on bass, so I got bored and haven't played in 2 years"
Me "OK I'm going to continue packing my stuff away" :)[/quote]

We need to compile a book of stuff like this.

[quote name='Higgie' post='1252152' date='May 31 2011, 10:36 PM']Awesome! Haha

Him "What gear is that?"
Me "It's Aguilar."
Him "I use GK."
Me "OK I'm going to continue packing my stuff away" :)[/quote]

I worked with a guy who said the same about playing the piano, Shame because he was actually very good but I doubt there was nothing left to learn.

I like the guys that tell you their mate/dad/brother has a real Fender P bass and then looks at you as if you should be gobsmacked because it must be the most expensive bass in the world, I feel like telling them the pre EB and Ray5 on the stand next to them could buy 4 of them but I know that would just make me sound like a dick :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='1251940' date='May 31 2011, 07:37 PM']whilst playing with the techno/spacerock band a bloke danced his way up to me, looking very enthusiastic and wide-eyed (i.e. on drukqs) and asked me

That's absolutely brilliant!

Twat: "Nice bass..... is that a 'Warwick'"?

Me: "No, it's a Spector"

Twat: "Oh, is that like a cheap Warwick copy or something?"

Me: *lifts bass above head like a samurai sword and prepares to swing......*

[quote name='ahpook' post='1251940' date='May 31 2011, 07:37 PM']whilst playing with the techno/spacerock band a bloke danced his way up to me, looking very enthusiastic and wide-eyed (i.e. on drukqs) and asked me

Winner. :)

Twat: "You guys were AWESOME!! I never expected you to look and sound so good... and I can't believe you did the firebreathing, blood spitting, smoking guitar, rockets and pyro!! Immense....!! The best tribute show I have EVER seen in a club - and maybe even better than the real thing!! One criticism though, if you don't mind....?"

Me: "Thanks mate! Sure... go ahead...."

Twat: "You need a little more hair on your chest...."

Me: *jaw drops in disbelief*

[quote name='cetera' post='1252565' date='Jun 1 2011, 12:16 PM']Twat: "Nice bass..... is that a 'Warwick'"?

Me: *lifts bass above head like a samurai sword and prepares to swing......*[/quote]

after a set, at the bar, a guy next to me compliments me and says

him: "nice little bass you have there"

me: "thank you" (it was my second gig with it)

him: "what make is it?"

me: "it's a MusicMan Stingray"

him: "ah, never heard of them. I used to play a while ago, I used Fenders"

detecting the condescending tone I added:

me: "nice basses, Fenders. MusicMan is the company Leo Fender had after he sold Fender, and he went on to improve his initial designs"

him: smiles

[quote name='cetera' post='1252565' date='Jun 1 2011, 12:16 PM']Twat: "Nice bass..... is that a 'Warwick'"?

Me: *lifts bass above head like a samurai sword and prepares to swing......*[/quote]

I have similar about my Sandberg. "Why would you use a copy when you can get a Fender?" and that's just on this forum.

[quote name='woodster' post='1249561' date='May 29 2011, 07:52 PM']"it'll sound loads different when there's people in here"

No it won't...[/quote]

It depends on the venue. A local venue to us changes dramatically. You can only really use the soundcheck for monitor levels as the FOH sound has to be done once the crowd is in.

Mediterranean-looking woman asks between numbers "Can you play anything by a Spanish band ?"

Our singer, after scratching our heads trying to think of a popular Spanish band....

"This next one is by Van Morrison who I believe was of Spanish extraction.... or at least his dentist came from Barcelona"

[quote name='Jam' post='1252175' date='May 31 2011, 10:53 PM']I don't know if this applies, but when I asked our guitarist this weekend about the previous bassist:

"He was good. REALLY GOOD. I miss him..."[/quote]

Last bass player in my band ran off with the singer's then missus,
think I'm an improvement :)

She has a point.

Why would you think you're 'higher' than a cleaner, anyway? If you had arrived at the venue the night before and couldnt play because the cleaner was mopping the dance floor you probably would have had something to say.

at the end of our first tune when I was in a folk-rock/Irish band a young woman with dark glasses and stick yelled "you're crap, f**k off you're not even Irish"

Our drummers reply "you f**k off, you're not really blind"

She was, but at least she could see the funny side (no pun intended) apparently she used to heckle every band that played there, we got off pretty lightly according to the promoter.

I did a trad dep (somebody has to do it) at some pub out in the sticks and while I was setting up my gear an old yokel came up to me and said 'ere, yur not one one of those modernisers are you?'.

The leader of another band I used to play with used to say 'don't forget to patronise the bar because the more you drink the better the band sounds'. A 'lady' tried to correct him by saying 'no, the more the band drinks the better it sounds' to which he replied 'no, the more we drink the better you look'.

'Do you do requests?' 'Only when we're asked'.

There are other:-

We did a gig recently and a woman came up to us and said 'my mum used to play accordian with Ivy Benson'. You'll only understand this if you know who Ivy Benson, or an accordian, was/is.

Edited by bassace