Why become a member? ×

For Sale Forums survey

Machines

Out of sheer curiosity, I would like to know what kind of usage people get out of the For Sale forum(s). There is no commercial angle to this, i've just noticed how hard it is to sell things at the moment (for myself and others). I don't think the prices are the issue (best value i've seen on a lot of things), but just that people don't have the spare wedge at the moment !

All answers are anonymous so no-one will know who has answered what (in terms of privacy for your budget or reasons for selling). The more people that answer here the more of a feel we get for what kind of sales get made here and if most people go for low, middle or high end gear. This should in theory determine how likely you are to shift something !

Feel free to suggest any more poll options.

[EDIT - Added poll option for £2000+]

I haven't bought from the section, because there's rarely what I want there, and when there is, it's more than what I'd want to pay for it, or it's not exactly what I'd want

For example, an Oil finished bass, when I want that particular model in a trans coloured laquered finish

I'm a fussy so and so :)

[quote name='Machines' post='1241657' date='May 23 2011, 02:34 PM']Out of sheer curiosity, I would like to know what kind of usage people get out of the For Sale forum(s). There is no commercial angle to this, i've just noticed how hard it is to sell things at the moment (for myself and others). I don't think the prices are the issue (best value i've seen on a lot of things), but just that people don't have the spare wedge at the moment !

All answers are anonymous so no-one will know who has answered what (in terms of privacy for your budget or reasons for selling). The more people that answer here the more of a feel we get for what kind of sales get made here and if most people go for low, middle or high end gear. This should in theory determine how likely you are to shift something !

Feel free to suggest any more poll options.[/quote]
I normally have a browse every so often (and normally get dragged into some deal I didn't intend at the outset so try to keep it to a minimum :) )

Last deal was sell combo & cab, buy head and all that happened in the space of a week between trying on one head, missing it, seeing another, putting feelers out for the combo & cab, getting my arm ripped off - did I undercharge? I don't think so probably just caught the wave right, but who knows.

Still I've ended up with a new rig (or will have when the new cab arrives from Alex) that is really a slightly different version of what I had & was happy with (why was I changing in the first place is a major question I kept asking myself), and everyone seems happy with how it turned out. Happy days :)

I've answered based on the kinda stuff I have bought and sold most. However, I don't have a specific budget, it'd depend on the item I wanted or was selling. Some items have been expensive, but obviously pedals and accessories have been much less.

I do like scouring the For Sale forums just for fun - It's like window shopping - looking at gear, seeing what it's worth and who has interesting stuff to pour over. Yes, it's a really bad place to go if you suffer from G.A.S and BassChat on the whole has ruined my bank account more than once! ha ha!

Mainly, I buy because I need something and BassChat is the best place to find it. I sell because I either don't need it or I need a few pennies for an upgrade or change of equipment. I don't think I'd ever profited from a sell - I'd be a rubbish business man as I'm far too honest lol! but I feel that BassChatters mostly have offered really good deals to the readership and I've had a few items for great prices!

I browse, quite a lot.

However, I seem to live in the wrong part of the country as all the stuff I'm interested in is miles away (and I don't really trust couriers etc - I work for one :))

I would rather buy from BC over other places.

Oh yeah, I'm usually skint. Bloody skint now, just bought a stage monitor I didn't really want, I need it but don't want it :)

*goes off in child like strop*

The disparity between most peoples (current) budget and the seemingly average cost of instruments for sale at the moment is quite significant.

I think there's a lot more people selling expensive instruments at the moment than there are buying them (lack of funds seems to blame) and the answers so far seem to correlate this.

I'm happy with what I've got since buying my T-Bird off Clarky (750-1000 range :)). I still like to look, and if I was to buy a bass it wouldn't be an expensive one. I'm not really into high end basses, so am happy with the Gibson/Fender stuff I've got (Aria is still mid-restoration). I'd love an Ampeg rig, but can't justify the cost/size for the gigs I do - the Peavey/GT-6B combination does all I want it to & fits in the boot of the car. I'm looking for a few cheap ultra-budget home studio bits, but that's about the extent of it. I'm also happy with all my stuff, so not looking to sell any of it either at the moment.

Of course [b]if I save a bit of gig money[/b] and see a [i]really [/i]nice Ricky going for reasonable money, I could be GASed :) [color="#696969"]Hmmm... five stringer... EUB... precision... telecaster...[/color]

I recon when I'm buying I have a fairly high budget, however I'm picky and insist on my basses being White, like some kind of supremacist.

Selling usually because I don't need it, or want it. Basses get sold/traded for a change of scenery.
I've never made any money selling here, even though a few basses I brought here and sold back to BC members at a loss.

I also browse quite a bit when I'm bored incase something amazing comes up that I must have.
I feel this is where a lot of people get GAS induced offers from people, who then realise they can't afford it/don't need it.

Academic, as I'm GAS-free at the moment, but voted anyway.

It'd have been better to allow multiple choice in Sections 2 & 3 IMO.

F'rinstance I might be looking at something to see what the asking price is because I've got one as well that I'm thinking of selling as I don't really use it, but would like to flog it at a profit, & might be tempted by something that takes my fancy.

P.

same as above- i tried but it wouldn't accept until i'd picked one for each- so i went based on why i probably will be needing to sell my jazz soonish as i've never sold anythign on here.

there's not a section for "i actually need new stuff thats does something i can't currently do" at least that's what i convinced myself i would vote for, but tempation is the way it had to go...

I would have liked to have been able to tick more than one box in the first section.
I had up to £1000.00 to spend on a 5 string recently but would have spent considerably less if something I fancied had come up - the range I was looking at would have been about £400-£1000 but I couldn't do that on the poll.

As it turned out nothing that interested me came up on the forum & I ended up buying my Bogart 5 string from Ebay.

I'm not one of those people that changes their bass more often than their underwear - I'm perfectly happy with my Zons & now I've found a 5ver that I'm pleased with I won't be buying another bass (unless something terrible happens to one of mine).

I have bought, sold & traded some things on here but I'm not a regular user; I do like to browse because some lovely & interesting stuff occasionally appears amongst the sea of Fenders.

If I am selling something now (usually pedals & accessories rather than really expensive stuff) I will put it on here first before it goes on Gumtree & Ebay.

There does also seem to be an increase in the number of people joining the forum solely to sell stuff - you never see these people post in any topics & I think that's a bit naughty.

If it was my forum I'd have booted them off.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' post='1242823' date='May 24 2011, 12:30 PM']There does also seem to be an increase in the number of people joining the forum solely to sell stuff - you never see these people post in any topics & I think that's a bit naughty.

If it was my forum I'd have booted them off.[/quote]

I do sometimes think this but on the other hand it makes more 2nd hand gear available to regular users too. There is a Photography forum I'm a member of which I primarily used for buying and selling, who changed their conditions so that a buyer/seller had to have at least 200 posts on the forums. This meant a lot less was available to regular users, and even though I read the forum daily (without posting as I didnt feel I had much knowledge to contribute), I have now stopped visiting altogether.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1242865' date='May 24 2011, 12:56 PM']I went back to a forum I used to frequent lately and they have brought in a rule since my absence. There was a bit of barney over it but I thought it was good.

You can only post something for sale if you contribute (Financially ) to the site but it's not a scary amount. And only the contributors can read the for sale threads in the first 24hours or something from the thread being posted.

Which I thought was quite good because it means the more serious members and supporters get first dibs on stuff and if you can afford the stuff for sale well then you can afford the fiver to become a contributor. And obviously you will be getting a service from the site and it's only fair you give a little back for the free ad.[/quote]

Yeah that seems quite a good idea

I think that the results of this poll will be quite useful in the future but feel that rather than say "£500-750", "up to..." would have been more helpful as most people would have different budgets for different items - basses-v-effects for instance..

I have accumulated far too much equipment over time and despite advertising a number of items on the "For Sale" forum I've only actually sold one item (Trace Elliot combo to Tom1946) through this thread. Having said that, I did also sell my Ashbory which I had as "for sale" on my sig..

My efforts to clear out some of my gear hasn't gone too well TBH and I find that I've again got equipment either collecting dust or living in cases..I'm not sure who else uses PMs to do business but I've found that trawling through the "wanted" section can be one way to potentially sell gear..

Though prices for buyers are more than reasonable I think the opposite is true for sellers - there are probably far too many bargains to be had to get, what I consider, a fair price for good equipment. An example of this would be the £2200 pricetag on the Alembic MK recently - similar bass in the American Guitar Centre went for at least £1k more - again somebody got a bargain!! Others might argue that you need to advertise at "come and buy me" prices..

The market is far too weak at the moment - Warwick's go for silly money or not at all, that Veillette 5 String should have sold ages ago - reflects what's going on in the Economy I suppose...

Anybody with any sensible amounts of cash at the moment can take real liberties..

This isn't meant to be a scientific survey - just to give an indicator of what peoples usage is. Of course some of the options people could opt to vote more than once on, but that wouldn't tell us how many members had voted.

I'll add some N/As.

N/A's are good. I lurk but rarely spend or sell these days.

Is there any way that server stats could tell us volume of new posts in the BC 'marketplace' over the last few years. Index that against membership numbers and we'd maybe have some historic data to compare? I'd be happy to analyse and chart the data if it's available. :)

Edited by skankdelvar