Why become a member? ×

J Gwizdala has a new bass..

Faithless

Hey peeps,

Don't know if I'm first to announce this, but Janek has just got his new Fodera,and he's made a video for that, you can check it out there:

The funny thing is that, at least, to my ears, he sounds literally the same as he did on his 'old' instrument.. :) You can't beat one's own voice.

easy
Laimis

[quote name='Faithless' post='1227986' date='May 11 2011, 08:25 PM']The funny thing is that, at least, to my ears, he sounds literally the same as he did on his 'old' instrument.. :) You can't beat one's own voice.[/quote]

Well,it is pretty much the same spec as his other bass,just with wood pickup covers and an extra XLR output. Besides,he sounds
pretty much the same whatever gear he's using.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1228010' date='May 11 2011, 08:37 PM']Well,it is pretty much the same spec as his other bass,just with wood pickup covers and an extra XLR output. Besides,he sounds
pretty much the same whatever gear he's using.[/quote]
yeah, I thought he already had one of these. It's the same spec as mine...and then I woke up!

I prefer his old one and although I'm skint at the moment if you're looking to sell Janek, maybe you'll let me pay by installments ? :)

[quote name='ray57' post='1228277' date='May 11 2011, 11:56 PM']Who cares?[/quote]

There's plenty of threads one could say the exact same thing about. It's just people chatting.

That little chordal improv is indeed cool, listened to it quite a few times yesterday.

It also gave me an impression that the string spacing was wider, but, then, I think, it's unlikely to be so because Janek is all after economy of motion, and spacing really contributes to that a lot.
If I'm correct, when the new bass was just an idea, he thought of going for a 6-string bass, but on the same "5-string' wide neck, which obviously would have made string spacing even tighter, but that idea didn't seem to work out.

All in all, a really nice bass (especially, aesthetically), but the man sounds exactly the same, and that's cool.

PS What about that slap thing - he said it quite a few times that he doesn't use slap in his own music, because he doesn't find it musical (probably so?), but he's cool to play slap bass for a session (and he seems to have just ok slap chops), if someone asks it for it's own thing.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1228432' date='May 12 2011, 09:00 AM']I''ve not watched the video cos I'm at work, but can anyone confirm whether the string spacing is wider on this one than the previous one? Just looks like it from the image capture on the vid.[/quote]
16.5mm at the bridge,which I believe is the same as his other.
Here are the specs
[url="http://www.fodera.com/Main/NewBornDetails.aspx?FeaturedItemID=158"]http://www.fodera.com/Main/NewBornDetails....turedItemID=158[/url]

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='1228444' date='May 12 2011, 09:15 AM']janek is the man one question though he never slaps the bass?[/quote]
He does sometimes,but not for his own music.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='1228480' date='May 12 2011, 10:01 AM']I have to be honest, some of his music I find pretty boring, although I love his chordal skills.

But I've watched a few of his videos and lessons and I find him a pretty down to earth guy, I'm sure I'd enjoy some lessons with him.[/quote]
He's cool-I've learned a ton of stuff I'm my lessons with him. :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1228532' date='May 12 2011, 10:49 AM']He's cool-I've learned a ton of stuff I'm my lessons with him. :)[/quote]

Do you subscribe monthly for that? I've wondered about it myself, but as someone without a lot of theoretical knowledge I fear I might be lost.

[quote name='Rayman' post='1228539' date='May 12 2011, 10:52 AM']Do you subscribe monthly for that? I've wondered about it myself, but as someone without a lot of theoretical knowledge I fear I might be lost.[/quote]

No...I have private lessons with him whenever he's in the UK.

He's a great player and a fountain of knowledge, new bass sounds ok dunnit, just like all other Foderas I think, which is certainly no bad thing.

Would love to see some videos of him playing the hell out of his Precision, I've only seen it on one American chat show, and the mix wasn't great.

Also, marginally off-topic, I'm sure I saw Janek playing on one of those horrible 'Sweet 16' tv programs?!, playing for a male American singer-songwriter playing acoustic?!. Anyone confirm this?!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1228545' date='May 12 2011, 10:55 AM']He's a great player and a fountain of knowledge, new bass sounds ok dunnit, just like all other Foderas I think, which is certainly no bad thing.

Would love to see some videos of him playing the hell out of his Precision, I've only seen it on one American chat show, and the mix wasn't great.

Also, marginally off-topic, I'm sure I saw Janek playing on one of those horrible 'Sweet 16' tv programs?!, playing for a male American singer-songwriter playing acoustic?!. Anyone confirm this?!

Si[/quote]

Probably, he does all sorts of session work. I saw him touring with JEM a few years back.

It does sound lovely with the chordal stuff - really clear & defined. That's probably a much to do with his excellent playing technique as anything though.
Are my ears deceiving me or is there some kind of reverb or delay effect being used in that clip?

[quote name='RhysP' post='1228761' date='May 12 2011, 01:27 PM']It does sound lovely with the chordal stuff - really clear & defined. That's probably a much to do with his excellent playing technique as anything though.
Are my ears deceiving me or is there some kind of reverb or delay effect being used in that clip?[/quote]

Yeah,that'll be either the TC Electronic Nova Delay or Repeater-he uses both regularly.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1228761' date='May 12 2011, 01:27 PM']It does sound lovely with the chordal stuff - really clear & defined. That's probably a much to do with his excellent playing technique as anything though.
Are my ears deceiving me or is there some kind of reverb or delay effect being used in that clip?[/quote]

Right on. I love the sound of those voicings in 10th, a lovely open sound to solo over.