Why become a member? ×

J Gwizdala has a new bass..

Faithless

[quote name='Sibob' post='1228545' date='May 12 2011, 10:55 AM']Would love to see some videos of him playing the hell out of his Precision, I've only seen it on one American chat show, and the mix wasn't great.

Si[/quote]

On the subscription videos, he sometimes plays his precision, particularly if he's discussing about groove or time.

[quote name='Faithless' post='1227986' date='May 11 2011, 08:25 PM']The funny thing is that, at least, to my ears, he sounds literally the same as he did on his 'old' instrument.. :) You can't beat one's own voice.[/quote]
Could be the limitations of Youtube or of my sound equipment what I am playing it through, but, compared to when I saw him live, it sounds like the strings are dead.

On a related note - has anyone paid for any of the lessons on Janek's site? Was wondering what they were like, cause I'm thinking about taking the plunge on a month or so's subscription. Would be keen to know if it's possible to download lesson material/videos and revisit later.

[quote name='Hector' post='1229233' date='May 12 2011, 07:52 PM']On a related note - has anyone paid for any of the lessons on Janek's site? Was wondering what they were like, cause I'm thinking about taking the plunge on a month or so's subscription. Would be keen to know if it's possible to download lesson material/videos and revisit later.[/quote]

If you go onto itunes there are 3 or 4 video podcast lessons that he put up before starting the video lessons site.
It's worth checking them out....they're free aswell.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1229195' date='May 12 2011, 07:17 PM']Could be the limitations of Youtube or of my sound equipment what I am playing it through, but, compared to when I saw him live, it sounds like the strings are dead.[/quote]

I thought the opposite! :)

[quote name='ray57' post='1229184' date='May 12 2011, 07:11 PM']Meet the new bass, the same as the old bass :)

Fodera's are OK but nothing special. Nothing to justify being 2 to 3 times the price of the best work of British luthiers, or the hype that surrounds them and the people that play them. And yes, I have played one.[/quote]

I've played a few and haven't liked any of them anywhere near as much as my Seis, but that doesn't mean other people don't like them better. It's those horses for courses again.

[quote name='Faithless' post='1229711' date='May 13 2011, 10:06 AM']I think there's much more involved into fretless making process than leaving frets out..[/quote]

Well it is clearly a different process but I imagine putting the frets in a very time consuming and possibly takes more end to end time than making a fretless board. Must be wrong though as the fretless costs more but that may be purely down to the materials used I suppose?

Can't imagine anyone would take advantage of their customers so can't be that...

And,as proven by the fretless bass site.....
' The fretless bass guitar does not have the metal spacers that often slow the playing performance.'
Obviously it's worth the extra money for a fretless :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1229832' date='May 13 2011, 12:14 PM']' The fretless bass guitar does not have the metal spacers that often slow the playing performance.'[/quote]
Speed bumps. Sleeping policemen. Frets. Call 'em what you like...

Given fodera charge more for a fretless, does that mean it'll cost me $35,000 [i]not [/i]to own one?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1229838' date='May 13 2011, 12:21 PM']Speed bumps. Sleeping policemen. Frets. Call 'em what you like...

Given fodera charge more for a fretless, does that mean it'll cost me $35,000 [i]not [/i]to own one?[/quote]

Depends what options you don't specify.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1229976' date='May 13 2011, 02:39 PM']Depends what options you don't specify.[/quote]

Yep they add £1000 if you don't want strings on it, and if you want a single pickup wired direct to the output it'll cost you £9999999999 extra for the work they don't have to do to not put the holes in...

I prefer my side dots exactly like they are on my fretted basses - I've tried playing a fretless with the dots exactly on 'the line' of the note and it completely threw me, I'm so used to playing 'between the dots' when I look down at the neck, any other way just messes my mind up...

[quote name='Doddy' post='1229246' date='May 12 2011, 08:03 PM']If you go onto itunes there are 3 or 4 video podcast lessons that he put up before starting the video lessons site.
It's worth checking them out....they're free aswell.[/quote]
I downloaded the itunes video podcasts earlier today & they're very good indeed.
He puts things across really well so even a complete musical numbskull like me can get something from them.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1230488' date='May 13 2011, 09:59 PM']I downloaded the itunes video podcasts earlier today & they're very good indeed.
He puts things across really well so even a complete musical numbskull like me can get something from them.[/quote]

Yeah, I think I'll try a month on his site off the strength of those, they're great!

[quote name='ray57' post='1230821' date='May 14 2011, 11:29 AM']To save hijacking somebodys sale thread.

Leo Fender designed and made his first singlecut in 1949. Gibson designed and built their first singlecut bass in 1969.[/quote]

I'm fully aware of that,however there is a big difference between the Fodera style singlecut design and the Gibson Les Paul and Fender Telecaster