Why become a member? ×

First bassline you ever learned?

Ross

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1221035' date='May 5 2011, 01:45 PM']Ditto - although it was just the famous riff at the end, not the whole song.
The first complete song I learned was Bowie's 'John, I'm Only Dancing', as it was transcribed in the forst copy of Bassist I ever bought. :)[/quote]
The very 1st thing I ever recorded on bass was the F1 bit, a few days after I learned the song (it's an easy starter of a song) & me & my mate on guitar played along to some programmed drum beats (we didn't do the 1st 1/2 of the song as the guitar part is fairly tricky for a 12 year old beginner. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1220883' date='May 5 2011, 12:09 PM']The Chain - Fletwood Mac[/quote]

Yep, another +1 from me on The Chain.

That and 'Another One Bites The Dust'... can't say I was ever really a fan of Fleetwood Mac or Queen, but those two basslines are so iconic they just seemed like a natural place to start at the time.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1221182' date='May 5 2011, 03:34 PM']Yep, another +1 from me on The Chain.

That and 'Another One Bites The Dust'... can't say I was ever really a fan of Fleetwood Mac or Queen, but those two basslines are so iconic they just seemed like a natural place to start at the time.[/quote]

Those were actually the first two songs I played the first time I ever picked up a bass.

The first full song I learnt was Chatterbox by the New York Dolls.

Basic 12 bar blues pattern with open strings I think

Then perhaps, peaches and walk on the wild side (the book I had, had a section on double stops)

First lines I played all the way through with another musician where Hey Joe and Cross town traffic

The 2nd song I learned all the way thru was Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick, it all went downhill from there! :)

Only messing, it was a selection of U2 songs from their first 3 albums that was in a transcribed book that my guitarist friend had (has all the instrument score). New Years Day being the gem to play out of that lot.

[quote name='monkeynuts' post='1220935' date='May 5 2011, 12:41 PM']erm....The Chain - Fleetwood Mac but only the F1 theme music section! :)[/quote]

When I first started playing this is all I aspired to be able to play - sorted it within a few days!!

What do you do - give up or learn something else??

I did the latter..

Probably Talking Heads' Psycho Killer.

After that it was a very crude improvised four-to-the-bar walk over a jazzy 12-bar in C. This was as part of a bass evening class which had you working on improvised patterns against chords from almost the first lesson.

Cheers

Graham

[quote name='Graham56' post='1221582' date='May 5 2011, 09:16 PM']Probably Talking Heads' Psycho Killer.

After that it was a very crude improvised four-to-the-bar walk over a jazzy 12-bar in C. This was as part of a bass evening class which had you working on improvised patterns against chords from almost the first lesson.

Cheers

Graham[/quote]
The original or the one off Stop Making Sense? :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1221654' date='May 5 2011, 10:01 PM']Not sure between two - it was either "Crocodiles" by Echo & The Bunnymen or "Ceremony" by New Order/Joy Division - on an Aria Pro II bass c.1980/1[/quote]

Good call Clarky, must have played the Crocodiles and Heaven up here album to death back in the day.....

I did a performing musician course at college but being the crappiest drummer out of the 10000000 drummers and the lack of bassists on the course I had to play bass and had to learn Hitchin A Ride - Green Day, Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous - Good Charlotte, I Wonna Be Your Dog - Iggy And The Stooges, Mr Jones - Counting Crows on a some rubbish Legacy jazz replica in about a week for a gig.
I still have that bass but it would cost more to repair it than it would to buy a new one so its sitting on a stand gathering dust :)