Why become a member? ×

What are really unfashionable at the moment?

Mr. Foxen

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1304520501' post='1219988']
Hamer basses are completely uncool - never ever met anyone else in the UK with one. Despite the cruise bass (being the first bass) getting a perfect score in Bass Player Mag.
[/quote]

[url="http://retroman65.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/members-jetsonics-live-at-tropic.html"]http://retroman65.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/members-jetsonics-live-at-tropic.html[/url]

Chris Payne from the Members uses a Hamer bass. I'm not sure what it's called though? 1980s vintage? The strings are probably only slightly newer too.

Anything that was designed in the last 50 years is pretty out of fashion. Anything that was designed more than 50 years ago but made less than 50 years ago will hold value. Anything made more than 50 years ago is worth a small fortune.

Doesn't apply to all basses but it's a pretty safe rule of thumb.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1341605751' post='1721842']
I dont care what is "in" and never have. I play the bass that feels, sounds and looks right to me in the here and now. Why be a sheep and follow the rest of the flock?
[/quote]

Best way to get really quality basses really cheap, hence my having some really nice pointy BC Richs.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341658074' post='1722330']
This time last year big and heavy amps/cabs seemed very uncool but they're making a massive comeback!
[/quote]

are they? is that as much to do with the chinese monopoly on neyodinium (or whatever it's called) as anything else?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341660386' post='1722371']

are they? is that as much to do with the chinese monopoly on neyodinium (or whatever it's called) as anything else?
[/quote]

I dunno, Markbass stuff seems to have gone down in price a little since I bought mine, so I don't think it has a lot to do with it... but I remember all the anti fridge protests recently and now a lot of people seem to want all valve monstrosities again. Maybe they've all realised that sometimes the sound and relatively lower price are worth it!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1341653094' post='1722261']
I'm old enough to remember a time when Fenders were considered square and boring - now everybody just have to been seen playing a Fender or Fender styled bass! Fashions come and go, if you follow them you will always be changing your instruments (like me lol!).
[/quote]
There seems to be quite a few who still think Fenders are square and boring! I guess it's because they're so unbiquitous, so there will always be some who want something a little (or a lot) different.

Precisions with flats certainly seem to be having something of a resugence at the moment though.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1341666952' post='1722498']...Precisions with flats certainly seem to be having something of a resugence at the moment though.
[/quote]

I think we are actually starting to see an emergence of Jazzes with flats on now.
(funnily enough that's what I started out playing with donkeys years ago... doesn't interest me now like)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1304458608' post='1219300']
I think Steinberger headless basses will soon be making a comeback worn right up under your chin. The sleeves of your jacket rolled up obligatory (mullet optional).
[/quote]

thank goodness... am having a hell of a job trying to find a decent mullet wig :crazy:

Mid 70's Jap knock off of Triumph basses
Peavey Milestones
De Armond Jet-Stars
Cort Curbow 5'ers
Italia Tipos

All unfashionable, all in my collection :)

Fashionable ?
Anything with Fender on the headstock
In that respect I'm happily unfashionable :D

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1341762042' post='1723694']
Mid 70's Jap knock off of Triumph basses
Peavey Milestones
De Armond Jet-Stars
Cort Curbow 5'ers
Italia Tipos

All unfashionable, all in my collection :)

Fashionable ?
Anything with Fender on the headstock
In that respect I'm happily unfashionable :D
[/quote]
I wish I could find a use for a Cort Curbow. I like Cort and have a couple myself, though one isn't a Bass, and I love the idea of having something almost entirely synthetic., They look good too. It's an odd feeling, believing that I have all my bases (ah ha!) covered and won't ever need to buy another. It's good too, considering I can't even justify what I've spent on them already, and I don't buy expensive Basses.