Why become a member? ×

Yamahas

parker_muse

Sounds like a couple of unlucky experiences on this thread - all the Yammys I have tried, even the cheapies have been solid as anything, quality hardware well put together. I wouldn't want to have to get anything of theirs repaired through them though, as the corporate presence in the UK seem a bit elusive! This has always worried me slightly about their PA gear, though it has always performed well for the money when I've used it. Wouldn't fuss me for a bass though as there's little major to go wrong in a bass other than active pre-amps, that isn't down to shoddy hardware that you can usually pick up on when you buy.
Whoever charges £80 for a replacement jack, that is a terrible shop and you need to look elsewhere! Even if that's the quote from Yamaha, then that's so easily fixable it should be doable in-shop for far less. Sorry to hear you got stung like that. Those 374s are great basses.

[quote name='Machines' post='1194786' date='Apr 10 2011, 05:16 PM']I have an RBX775 and have previously had a BB614. They do make very good instruments, the playability and sound is there, but what I struggle to find in them is a little soul. All of their instruments have codenumbers instead of names, this for me can make them a little sterile in character. Of course there's plenty of other manufacturers doing the same thing, but I think Yamaha could do with giving their instruments some more inspiring names to help with the image.

It's the same with a lot of Japanese sports bikes/cars... GT-R, 370Z, MX-5, YZF, CBR, GSR etc... all soulless.[/quote]

Ibanez bite the biscuit for that one!

EWB20SMFE

Acoustic, fretless spalted maple in other words!

I do prefer that to the "'ole bettsy!" Series :)

And that does seem a very poor show about the showroom Attitude! especially as i'm told mr sheehan was standing by!?

Did anyone confront them about it?

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1194797' date='Apr 10 2011, 05:23 PM']Sounds like a couple of unlucky experiences on this thread - all the Yammys I have tried, even the cheapies have been solid as anything, quality hardware well put together. I wouldn't want to have to get anything of theirs repaired through them though, as the corporate presence in the UK seem a bit elusive! This has always worried me slightly about their PA gear, though it has always performed well for the money when I've used it. Wouldn't fuss me for a bass though as there's little major to go wrong in a bass other than active pre-amps, that isn't down to shoddy hardware that you can usually pick up on when you buy.
Whoever charges £80 for a replacement jack, that is a terrible shop and you need to look elsewhere! Even if that's the quote from Yamaha, then that's so easily fixable it should be doable in-shop for far less. Sorry to hear you got stung like that. Those 374s are great basses.[/quote]

Probably my worst built and best built basses I have ever tried barring entry level stuff were Yammys Nathan East best built and Attitude the worst, Go figure?

[b]Machines[/b] you were at BassDayUK did you try the Yammy up by where Billy was doing his thing with Clutterbucks feet just showing? Thats the one Im on about seriously you could not of gigged it as it was which is just wrong IMO.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1194849' date='Apr 10 2011, 06:04 PM']And that does seem a very poor show about the showroom Attitude! especially as i'm told mr sheehan was standing by!?

Did anyone confront them about it?[/quote]
The Yammy rep was showing it to me while I was sat on a stool, I pointed it all out and he had no idea why the knobs didnt do anything until I pointed out we were plugged into the neck pup jack which was intermittent anyway, How embarassing would it of been if Billy had said " Pass me that one off the stand so I can show everyone that there are just like mine"?

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1194797' date='Apr 10 2011, 05:23 PM']Whoever charges £80 for a replacement jack, that is a terrible shop and you need to look elsewhere! Even if that's the quote from Yamaha, then that's so easily fixable it should be doable in-shop for far less. Sorry to hear you got stung like that. Those 374s are great basses.[/quote]

Re-read my post dude, that was to get the pickups lacquered as well.

Edit:- just remembered this was to fix the truss rod which and locked up inside and then to get the bass resetup as well

Edited by DaveB

[quote name='Machines' post='1194786' date='Apr 10 2011, 05:16 PM']...All of their instruments have codenumbers instead of names, this for me can make them a little sterile in character. Of course there's plenty of other manufacturers doing the same thing, but I think Yamaha could do with giving their instruments some more inspiring names to help with the image.

It's the same with a lot of Japanese sports bikes/cars... GT-R, 370Z, MX-5, YZF, CBR, GSR etc... all soulless.[/quote]

But some of the Japanes cars that have been "named" have very weird ones that I'm not always sure are to the benefit of the the product :) They give the bikes quite cool names though.

I own a modest RBX270 fretless that I think is great, although I have swapped the pups and rewired the standard VBT to VVT. Oh, and I swapped the bridge as I'm not a fan of BBOT things that Fender use (and others feel they have to copy for some bizarre reason).

[quote name='Machines' post='1194786' date='Apr 10 2011, 05:16 PM']I have an RBX775 and have previously had a BB614. They do make very good instruments, the playability and sound is there, but what I struggle to find in them is a little soul. All of their instruments have codenumbers instead of names, this for me can make them a little sterile in character. Of course there's plenty of other manufacturers doing the same thing, but I think Yamaha could do with giving their instruments some more inspiring names to help with the image.

It has to do with translating names. A name that works in English will not work in Japanese, might have to
be represented by a Kanji (letter) that has connotations there which it doesn't here. Some car names ran
into serious trouble over there for such reasons.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1194174' date='Apr 9 2011, 11:47 PM']Apart from snobbishness, I would add blandness. I've never played a bad one either (haven't played many I'll admit) and heard only good reports but ... what is there to attract? Seems rather characterless somehow.[/quote]

Reminds me of when a mate of mine ask me to accompany him to the Basscentre in Brum. This was early 90's.
He had his heart set on buying a Status, so off we went.

He played around on a couple of Statii, whilst I nosed around the shop.
I played a couple of Yammies and was very impressed. I had a chat with the assistant, who rated the model I was playing higher than the Status my mate was trying, even though it was £300 cheaper.

Anyway, I tried to persuade my friend to buy the Yamaha, but he didn't want to know because Status was a "name" he could be proud of (his words)...the assistant said that was Yamaha's problem, the name wasn't associated with basses, they were under priced and therefore seen as "budget/mid market".

My mate could have put the £300 towards a better amp, but no he wanted the "name".

As for lack of character, I have been playing a BB604 for 8 years, and have recently bought a BB605. I reckon on dialing in most tones I need, as for his Status, pretty one dimensional "hi-fi" for my tastes. But then again, it's in the fingers isn't it?

[quote name='DaveB' post='1194667' date='Apr 10 2011, 03:01 PM']Well the first time I lost all sound from instrument, sent it back they replaced something but wouldn't say what but I didn't care as it now worked.
Then when it got back I got a massive buzzing when I touched the pickups. Sent it back again, they blamed on me using coated strings which is total bollocks as I used the same strings before it went to them the first time and never had that issue. They refused to hear other wise. At the same time it came back the jack barrel was now knackered. I spent £80 getting a guy to replace the jack barrel and put a lacquer over both pickups to sort out the blatant earthing problem. That fixed that.
Then the jack barrel has broken again (I accept this is something I could have done)
Now the pickups are giving off a very wierd sound which sounds like an echo/ chorus.

Simply put, no it isn't else I wouldn't of had any problems.[/quote]

I've found Yamaha generally reliable, given that a certain amount of neck tweaking seems necessary from time to time on mine. At the price point, far less of that than I've experienced on comparable instruments from other companies. In particular, those Ibanezes which I love the thin necks on but which always tie themselves in knots when they have to live with me.

I'll go with you on the barrel-type jacks though. They're a curse on the land reliability-wise, but it's usually a pain to replace them with Switchcrafts without further modifying the instrument :)

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1195617' date='Apr 11 2011, 12:43 PM']As for lack of character, I have been playing a BB604 for 8 years, and have recently bought a BB605. I reckon on dialing in most tones I need, as for his Status, pretty one dimensional "hi-fi" for my tastes. But then again, it's in the fingers isn't it?[/quote]

Er.... I can't comment about the Yamahas as I've never played one, but my mid-eighties Status Series II is the most tonally versatile instrument I have ever played! Maybe I need to try some Yammies though?!

I had a RBX375 and now i'm a proud owner of a TRB5PII (a complete bargain i've got here on BC). I sold my EB Musicman after getting the TRB and the P and J i own are there just to decorate my wall! That's how good Yammys are! Very versatile and very musical. I can't think of a Fender who doesn't have to get some mods to improve it's sound/sustain (Lindy Fralin, Lane Poor, Badass, hipshot,...), mine is just perfect as it is with stock pickups and electronics.

A lot of people are talking about construction issues, what about Fender? Are they all that good? I don't think so! The models people are complaining are in the same league as the MIM models and everybody says they aren't worth their price! I never had a issue with any of the Yamaha gear i've owned and i haven't heard any complaints from any of my friends who use the brand.

Before i got my TRB i tried Mayones, Fodera, Status, Sadowsky, Fender, Warwick, Smith, Ibanez... the Smith was the only one i can say i liked more than my Yammy, i don't think it's better build or it has a better sound though, i just liked the character on it's tone i little more but the Yamaha is less than half the price of the Smith... and the sound didn't reflected the price tag difference!

Somebody also said something about they were not very original looking... once again what about fender? They have been building the exact two same models for the past 50-60 years! The RBX range isn't copying anything, the're very original such as the TRB range. The BB's pick something from fender but have you looked at Sadowsky, Allevo Coppolo, Lakland?

I would recommend Yamaha to everybody looking for a good reliable bass at an afordable price with no hesitation! I'm glad there's so many bass players underating Yamaha and overating Fender and Warwick, it means i can get great basses for a bargain!

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1194856' date='Apr 10 2011, 06:08 PM'][b]Machines[/b] you were at BassDayUK did you try the Yammy up by where Billy was doing his thing with Clutterbucks feet just showing? Thats the one Im on about seriously you could not of gigged it as it was which is just wrong IMO.[/quote]
Sheehan there on Sunday right ? I was there Saturday. And do you mean this one ? :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1195771' date='Apr 11 2011, 02:48 PM']Er.... I can't comment about the Yamahas as I've never played one, but my mid-eighties Status Series II is the most tonally versatile instrument I have ever played! Maybe I need to try some Yammies though?![/quote]

I think in comparison between the 2 models in the shop, the Status wasn't particularly versatile. I guess I'm just saying that it didn't have £300 more features or build quality than the Yammy.
It wasn't a slight against Status, more of a hurrah for Yamaha.
I have owned 2 Statii and thought they were great, also had a status graphite neck on a custom jazz, again great fast playing neck.
But I'm still playing the cheap old BB604, and some on here have described them as being sterile, so each to their own I guess :)

[quote name='Machines' post='1196033' date='Apr 11 2011, 06:16 PM']Sheehan there on Sunday right ? I was there Saturday. And do you mean this one ? :)

[/quote]
The Manchester one last year on the Sunday you were taking pictures I believe? (my feet are in the one of EBS freak playing the lurvly Xotic Jazz on BassDirects stand)

To be honest, I've had a BB300 since 1998, it was old then, and it's even older now, just an amazing Precision type bass.

I've sold Yamaha gear since 2003, and while it may suffer from a slightly M.O.R. image, I think their basses are fantastic in general.

I've experienced very few problems with their gear in the 8 years i've been selling it, the first run of RBX374's and 75's had a preamp draining the battery issue, but that was years ago. The guys in service are usually fantastic, I've had some above and beyond back up from them in the past.

I'm a huge fan of the BB2024/1024/424 they've recently been putting out, just short on funds to go the whole hog for a 2024x.

I wish they did a current version of the TRBP in a 4-string, I like the 1004, but would love the piezo's etc.

The Attitude at bass day last year - I was pretty shocked to be honest, it had basically travelled around all of the music trade shows over the course of a year or two and nobody had been maintaining it. A set of pliers, a few mini screwdrivers, and some allen keys - I would have sorted it there and then for them, think that's more to do with the product demonstrator, who I was less than impressed with...

Anyhow, general thumbs up from me, but each to their own.

It's just as well that Mr DiMarzio saved me from all that Piano-making, trombone-blowin', outboard motoring, lawn-mowin' "blandness"

[i]This[/i] Attitude has no build quality flaws, let me assure you. Only issue it has is that sound engineers keep assuming it's active and ask me to turn the bottom end down...
How it pains me to explain that I can't!

Bland paint job, too.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1196137' date='Apr 11 2011, 07:55 PM']

It's just as well that Mr DiMarzio saved me from all that Piano-making, trombone-blowin', outboard motoring, lawn-mowin' "blandness"

[i]This[/i] Attitude has no build quality flaws, let me assure you. Only issue it has is that sound engineers keep assuming it's active and ask me to turn the bottom end down...

Bland paint job, too.[/quote]
That is one bad plank!

[quote name='Machines' post='1196033' date='Apr 11 2011, 06:16 PM']Sheehan there on Sunday right ? I was there Saturday. And do you mean this one ? :)

[/quote]

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1196137' date='Apr 11 2011, 07:55 PM']

Bland paint job, too.[/quote]

I'm in love with both of these!

The Attitude 3 looks gorgeous, though i miss Lava Red and Sea foam green! (That purple is amazing though!)

Also i know man! The output is pretty high second highest i've ever used on a passive bass!The highest being the DiMarzio split P!

Cannot rate them high enough! Amazing pickups!

[quote name='stevie' post='1194346' date='Apr 10 2011, 10:15 AM']I agree with this. It's all about image and who uses your product. It's critical. Let's face it, who wants to go on stage with a Benson or a Lindo?[/quote]
i have done the latter, it did the job :L
Although it stayed in tune just enough for our ten minute set, it sounded... like a bass......ish...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1196382' date='Apr 11 2011, 11:38 PM']I'm glad someone else tried that Attitude Andy, I know what you mean and 5 mins with a few tools would of sorted it out but my 2002 Ray has had some use over 9 years with just one jack socket getting a bit noisy that has been sorted with some servisol so I'm still not impressed, How much are they?[/quote]

If its the Yamaha Attitude LTD III then its approx. £2400-£2500

"Hand crafted, ARE and IRE technology, Spline joint with re-worked neck joint" on top of what the Attitude LTD II is all about!r

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1196405' date='Apr 12 2011, 12:10 AM']For that price I wouldn't want anything to of come loose! And with 2 Yammy reps and Billy Sheehan stood next to it I would of been firing someone if had been in charge.[/quote]

Agreed!!

After a quick chat with Alex at Yamaha Customer service,

i was told its the same one that Billy played when they finalised the design, the same one from last year and that has been used at every trade show and that its likely no one has given it a full look over since a few months ago! Seems like the kind of thing you might want to look after... your new £2.5K Signature model with the man right there!