Why become a member? ×

Yamahas

parker_muse

[quote name='plumbob' post='1205987' date='Apr 20 2011, 03:42 PM']I was gonna put some flats on my BB1500a but haven't got round to it, how does it sound now?[/quote]

It sounds really nice with the flats on, with the EQ off it's really nice and smooth, with the EQ on you get some balls back, perfect combination I think.

Did somebody call my name?? :)

With reference Andy Rourke, i play in a Smiths tribute and have looked into this a bit but I'm far from an expert...

Andy did indeed play a yellow natural BB2000 on a vast amount of Smiths records in the studio, but like others have said, he mostly played P basses live, most notably his sunburst 1964 P bass, which he bought during The Smiths' first trip to America (apparently bought it partly because he was born in '64)

He did use the BB2000 live now and again though. There are a couple of youtube videos of The Smiths playing on The Tube and Andy has his BB2000 on those. There is also this famous shot of The Smiths backstage at Glastonbury, featuring Andy's BB2000, on the gatefold of the HATFUL OF HOLLOW album

Amazingly, Andy sold the bass in 2003 for $5800 on ebay :D

check out the story here:

[url="http://tour.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=03/10/06/0454213"]Andy sells BB2000[/url]

The Yamaha has therefore been something of an unsung hero on the Smiths albums given that Andy is more visibly a P bass user. But you can't deny the superb bass tone on recordings like [i]Barbarism begins at home[/i] and [i]William, it was really nothing[/i] which are undeniably the BB2000 (Mike Joyce, Smiths drummer confirmed this for me himself a couple of years back at a gig)

In the quest for authenticity, I've been searching for a similar yellow natural BB2000. Last year, I picked up the next best thing, a natural BB1200 from 1979, in fabulous condition :lol: Basically the same as a BB2000 but without the bridge pickup

It's a gorgeous bass and has that great Yamaha punch and does the job just fine. Beautifully constructed and as people have said before, sounds like a p bass on steroids! Here's a nice shot of the thru neck on mine:

Having played both the Yamaha and a P bass live with my band though, I'm starting to see why Andy didn't use the Yamaha as much as the P bass. The Yamaha, with its punchy clarity, definitely seems to work better as a recording bass and the P bass better for live. I can't put my finger on why, but it just seems to be the case, although I still do use both live. Partly because I have one of them (usually the Yamaha) tuned up a whole step (F#, B, E, A) - Andy, especially in the early days, used to play in this tuning - A lot of the songs, particularly the two I mentioned earlier, are definitely a breeze to play in this tuning - I still haven't found out why he played in this tuning though - any ideas anyone?? :)

Anyway, to wrap up - I think the Yammys are definitely underrated basses - unsung heroes of the bass world for sure, as was Andy Rourke! :P

Edited by Bobby K

Two Attitudes (MK1 &2) and a BB714bs. Also owned a mk1 trb5 and a BBG5s, absolutely superb instruments extremely well made. I do though understand the comment re being characterless though. However, for me, this is down to the precise engineering and quality control exercised on all their instruments.

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' post='1206886' date='Apr 21 2011, 11:22 AM']Two Attitudes (MK1 &2) and a BB714bs. Also owned a mk1 trb5 and a BBG5s, absolutely superb instruments extremely well made. I do though understand the comment re being characterless though. However, for me, this is down to the precise engineering and quality control exercised on all their instruments.

andy[/quote]

[quote name='Lorne' post='1206930' date='Apr 21 2011, 11:45 AM']Thanks, I like 'em :)

[/quote]

SALT IN MY WOUNDS!

Andy, i'd do anything for a Blue Attitude 1, a BB714BS and a Sea foam green Atd Ltd II with perloid pickup cover!!

And Those tourquise JM1's are simply beautiful.

Add a JM2 and thats my perfect bass collection.

(Only just occured to me they are all Yamahas!)

I need to take (and post) some photos of my Yamaha BJ 5B.

Only 50 in existence, weights as much as a small planet and I haven't been able to use it live yet because the wielding it on the size of stages we play at the moment would be a serious risk to all around me! But looks and sounds fantastic!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1208148' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:46 AM']SALT IN MY WOUNDS!

Andy, i'd do anything for a Blue Attitude 1, a BB714BS and a Sea foam green Atd Ltd II with perloid pickup cover!!

And Those tourquise JM1's are simply beautiful.

Add a JM2 and thats my perfect bass collection.

(Only just occured to me they are all Yamahas!)[/quote]

Here's the Vinegar to go with the salt

That is the MK1 LTD I used to own, taken around late 1992.I had loads of problems with it, but once I completely rebuilt it, it was an awesome bass, It was a shame I had fallen out of love with it, due to Yamaha selling me a lemon and doing F*** all about it

[quote name='Lorne' post='1208195' date='Apr 22 2011, 12:26 PM']Here's the Vinegar to go with the salt

That is the MK1 LTD I used to own, taken around late 1992.I had loads of problems with it, but once I completely rebuilt it, it was an awesome bass, It was a shame I had fallen out of love with it, due to Yamaha selling me a lemon and doing F*** all about it[/quote]

Ya sick man :) (No offence!!)

The LTD I Attitudes are the only pre-birthyear bassed i'd own!

Amazing tone!

It is a shame! Yamaha have tidied them selves up though!

[quote name='Lorne' post='1208574' date='Apr 22 2011, 07:28 PM']Not for me they haven't, still had issues getting knobs for the red JM :) :)[/quote]

Well... Their *Support* is great, the Repairs/Technical issues area isn't so good.

I can understand why getting the Knobs would be hard as the Bass is old and out of production but it seems you were treated rudely and mess about a little!

Or maybe its fate saying you should sell it to me? :D haha! :lol:

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1208948' date='Apr 23 2011, 09:32 AM']Or maybe its fate saying you should sell it to me? :lol: haha! :)[/quote]

I wouldn't want to give the postman a Hernia, it has a full flight case, which reminds me to get new foam and velvet for it, and also to get one built for the other JM :)

[quote name='Lorne' post='1208975' date='Apr 23 2011, 10:07 AM']I wouldn't want to give the postman a Hernia, it has a full flight case, which reminds me to get new foam and velvet for it, and also to get one built for the other JM :)[/quote]

Give me a hernia! I'll come get it! You no too far away! haha

Big Mistake getting involved with this thread while watching Conklin videos :)

Major GAS for bass i can't get! out of Production Yamahas and Conklins with No Dealer in the UK!?