Why become a member? ×

Community Spirit

munkonthehill

Today was quite a day regarding an unprompted PM by one of our very own BC'ers.

Now I wont name the fella just incase im over stepping the mark, however I hope he says hello on this thread.

In my for sale thread I was advised that a VT Bass pedal may get me a O/D sound that I have been searching for. I agreed that I had heard great things and I may check it out.

So today I was offered a loan of VT Bass pedal. It may not sound the biggest gesture to some, but this is a chap that I have not had any dealing with and lets face it, if it wasnt for BC we would be complete strangers.

I was really taken with the good will of this person whos only request was that I pay for return postage once I have tried the pedal and decided if I wanted to buy my own.

I say bravo to the community spirit this BC'er and a massive thank you to his amazing offer.

I must say, I was very excited by your thread title as the first thing I thought was that someone was making some moonshine to share with us all :)

Joking aside, another great story for all to read and the reason why we all stick around here. Also helps newbies to realise that this is a forum full of really fantastic, knowledgeable and helpful people :)

Long live Basschat!

Along with one other, not bass related, this is the only forum that I've stayed a part of for any number of years. I haven't ever even felt the need to look elsewhere and it's because of things like this. I've never been to a meet or anything, but the general feel of this place is great and incredibly welcoming.

Keep it up gents and ladies, hehe.

Major Minor (who I also have never met) loaned me a set of Evah Pirazzi strings (£150?) to try and, when I had finished with them, asked me to forward them on to daflewis (who I think he also hasn't met) so Daf could try them to.

When I had the touring barefaced compact last year I had a bad accident and ended up in hospital for three weeks.
Krispn and conan took over the handling of the cab, including shipping, packing and all that. I barely had to ask, it was very touching :)

There have been a couple of more negative threads around trades recently which certainly don't reflect my experiences. It is genuinely nice to see positive things written about just one of the many, many good things about Basschat.

Not a knock at the starters of the other threads, I sincerely wish them better luck in the future.

Have to agree that Basschat does have a bunch of superb people here. Molan let me borrow his Fender 75 RI Jazz bass to try and then pay him off in monthly instalments whilst keeping the bass. I had never met him before and it was a very kind gesture. Plus OBBM and Old Horse Murphy has lent me gear to try out in the past. Lots of great people here.

I am always overwhelmed by this place - generosity in every form is abundant. I've had strings sent to me for no cost, same with a re-stringing key thingy, unsolicited messages of support for various things and advice by the shedload. I have been on (and run) discussion forums on the internet for years and this has by far the best sense of community. Being a serious GAS victim, I find the classifieds a particularly safe and comfortable environment in which to shop.

Now - who is going to buy my Trace rig.....

[quote name='Paul S' post='1190491' date='Apr 6 2011, 02:00 PM']I am always overwhelmed by this place - generosity in every form is abundant. I've had strings sent to me for no cost, same with a re-stringing key thingy, unsolicited messages of support for various things and advice by the shedload. I have been on (and run) discussion forums on the internet for years and this has by far the best sense of community. Being a serious GAS victim, I find the classifieds a particularly safe and comfortable environment in which to shop.

Now - who is going to buy my Trace rig.....[/quote]

HA ha did you sell the jag btw ? after i saw yours for sale i started looking into them a bit more and now want one ! not as i have the money to buy atm though but all the same love it !

+1 to all the above and the OP especially! There is a great community spirit here on Basschat which sets it apart in my view from a lot of other music forums I've seen.

For example, a couple of years ago, in response to a problem i was having with a low-output bass, leschirons sent me an Aphex bass xCiter pedal to try out.. he sent it free of charge from France and was really helpful in terms of using it and advised on other options that could help me.. When i bought a cab from Ebay once, TheRev helped ship it to me from the Bristol area as the Ebay seller didn't want the hassle of shipping..again - free of charge!!

Those are just two of a number of examples I could cite of my personal experiences of where that Basschat community spirit has come to the fore..

Definitely something worth celebrating IMHO and long may it continue. :)

+ 1 to all of the above.

Pantherairsoft (or Shep as I know him) let me take the EBS 4x10 out for a trial run without evening paying him! I was blown over by this gesture.

I have never met any arse bass players (well, maybe a couple) and the majority seem to be top blokes.

Weird that most of my closest friends are drummers though!?!?!?

I think in general that Basschat has far more positives than negatives. It`s very easy to spot, especially in the Off Topic area, when people are either asking for advice on matters, or just want to air what they are feeling about a situation which is getting to them. Having read many of these, and contributed (hopefully to the positive) on a fair few, the kindness and good words exhibited on all posts seem at odds with the general view of todays society.

And reading here about people loaning equipment - well I`ve neither had to borrow, nor ask for a loan - but this really shows goodwill and decency, because as we all know, this bass gear don`t come cheap.

A pat on the back to us all, I think.

You're very welcome.

+1 on the community spirit. This forum has such a great bunch of members, I'd never doubt that if I was in a spot of bother, some kind soul on here would come to my rescue. The community is what we make it, so it just goes to show that there ARE some decent people left in the world!

I'm definitely in agreement with the sentiments of this thread...

Cameron can stuff the Big Society where it hurts - the "Bass Society" is where it's at! ;-)

Seriously - I've bought a few things off very pleasant people here; I've been given a ton of top notch advice and inspiration; I've even had people offer to let me visit their homes and try out some gear I'm thinking of buying!

You simply don't get that kind of honesty and openness anywhere else online, in my experience.

But then we're bass players... it's in our nature, right?!

[quote name='gub' post='1190501' date='Apr 6 2011, 02:06 PM']HA ha did you sell the jag btw ? after i saw yours for sale i started looking into them a bit more and now want one ! not as i have the money to buy atm though but all the same love it ![/quote]

Someone coming to have a look tomorrow. If it doesn't work out I'll get in yer face :)

Edit - Friday, not tomorrow.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Higgie' post='1190678' date='Apr 6 2011, 04:53 PM']You're very welcome.

+1 on the community spirit. This forum has such a great bunch of members, I'd never doubt that if I was in a spot of bother, some kind soul on here would come to my rescue. The community is what we make it, so it just goes to show that there ARE some decent people left in the world![/quote]

Ah a big round of applause for the man that made this thread happen :)